Goodbye Arthur Smith

terradawg

9 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Who will replace Smith?

@tgo

Probably Downing. The issue with him for me is that he's really more of a pass game guy, so it would potentially change the philosophy just a bit, but he'd also be reigned in by Vrabel. But I could see some clashing there. 

Other options would be Keith Carter or Pat O'Hara. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He is so gone after this season. Let’s hope we can make the most of it while we have him. He deserves every bit of this. What a story. 

They all use UPS?

lol Bizarro Gase!

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Probably Downing. The issue with him for me is that he's really more of a pass game guy, so it would potentially change the philosophy just a bit, but he'd also be reigned in by Vrabel. But I could see some clashing there. 

Other options would be Keith Carter or Pat O'Hara. 

Pat O'Hara might be the better choice with his familiarity with Tannehill and longer history with Vrabel.  Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see a few Texans coaches end up over here after they hire a new coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, Guts said:

Pat O'Hara might be the better choice with his familiarity with Tannehill and longer history with Vrabel.  Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see a few Texans coaches end up over here after they hire a new coaching staff.

I'm expecting this re: the Texans. 

Vrabel is actually close to both Mike Devlin and Tim Kelly (Dennis Kelly's brother). With how much Vrabel respects Devlin, I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if he was considered for OC. 

But more pertinently, Anthony Weaver is a top notch DL coach who I think Vrabel wanted to hire (speculating). And it would be cool to see Romeo Crennel come in as a senior defensive assistant HC or something. 

Edited by tgo

6 minutes ago, Guts said:

I think Crennel assuming he still wants to coach is a given. He and Vrabel obviously have a long history

7 hours ago, rns90 said:

abc2330 I believe is the poster that you are referring to.  He was a hardcore Taywan Taylor supporter too, when it was obvious to most that Taylor was a scrub.  He'd also rag on Arthur Smith after the Titans scored 30 points on offense.  It was just really weird to me.

He was the first one to say that Tannehill was really good.  Before he ever played a game for the Titans.  So I'll give him that.

43 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

I think Crennel assuming he still wants to coach is a given. He and Vrabel obviously have a long history

He's older than Pee's, I just can't see him wanting to coach much longer.

7 hours ago, rns90 said:

abc2330 I believe is the poster that you are referring to.  He was a hardcore Taywan Taylor supporter too, when it was obvious to most that Taylor was a scrub.  He'd also rag on Arthur Smith after the Titans scored 30 points on offense.  It was just really weird to me.

I remember him. I absolutely dragged him for weeks about Taylor and Smith. Oddly enough he absolutely nailed Tannehill being a total stud before anyone else. Funny how things work out sometimes. 

I know this thread is about a potential OC replacement, but DC has been brought up as well.
what do ya'll think about interviewing a guy like Dan Quinn for DC?

Smith will definitely get interviews. Whether he's really HC material is another story. This is the mistake a lot of teams make. A good coordinator doesn't necessarily equal a good HC. Yes, you generally want someone who's had success in their position. But as we've seen with Vrabel who didn't necessarily impress big in his one year as DC, there's a lot more to the position. JR understood that. Vrabel is a leader of men.

When PIT hired Tomlin who was MIN DC before he came HC, I don't remember those defenses being great. But Tomlin like Vrabel knows how to lead. John Harbaugh was a ST coach who made the jump all the way to HC. But he also knows how to lead a group of men. Can Smith do that? I'm skeptical.

Edited by socaltitan

Random, but I know we were discussing defensive coaches earlier in the thread as well. 

If Bowen were to be officially named DC next year, Anthony Weaver could just replace him as OLB coach. He has experience with linebackers and DL both and knows the scheme inside and out of course. 

Alternatively, Matt Edwards could become OLB coach with Crow moving back to Asst. DL. 

I just bet that Vrabel will find a way to get Weaver on staff. 

As far as Arthur Smith, he may get a HC job this offseason, but let's hope for a SB and that it prevents it from happening. 

There's also a few guys ahead of him on the pecking order for HC gigs like Saleh, Bieniemy, Roman, Daboll, McDaniels, Bowles. 

Then you have others like Schwartz, Frazier, Morris, Jay Gruden, Spagnuolo who could get second shots. 

Edited by tgo