Puck

Le'Veon Bell Released (UPDATE: Signing 1-year deal with Chiefs)

2 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

I remember Moss looking washed just before arriving in NE. I'm very curious to see how he does going from literally one of the worst situations in the NFL to one of the best. We know how dependent the RB position is and that Jets OL is truly horrible. Football-wise chasing the money there was a catastrophic mistake. If he cares at all about his play, he'll find himself in KC. The dude is only 28, there is no way all that talent just left him.   

Moss wasn’t washed. You could see in OAK he was still extremely fast. The terrible QB play and the fact that he acted like he didn’t care anymore had more to do with it

Bell is a RB. He could certainly be washed at 28. The guy didn’t play an entire season then looked like a different RB. I don’t get your interest in Bell at this point. I would rather have had Devonta Freeman if we wanted a RB who used to be good. Have you watched Bell? He definitely looks slower.

Edited by socaltitan

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m honestly not sure who would win in a foot race between Lewis, McCoy, and Bell. It could possibly be a tie. 

This comment got me thinking so I watched some of his 2019 play and thought "damn he really is slow now". But then I watched highlights dating back to his rookie and realized "this mofo has ALWAYS been slow"! Idk why I remember him being faster but speed has clearly never been his game. Only ran 4.6 at the combine.

3 minutes ago, socaltitan said:

Moss wasn’t washed. You could see in OAK he was still extremely fast. The terrible QB play and the fact that he didn’t seem to care anymore had more to do with it

Bell is a RB. He could certainly be washed at 28. The guy didn’t play an entire season then looked like a different RB. I don’t get your interest in Bell at this point. I would rather have had Devonta Freeman if we wanted a RB who used to be good.

If people didn't think Moss was washed he never ends up in NE for a measly 4th round pick. My interest in Bell stems from the fact that the Jets are so terrible, no one could possibly look good there, especially someone that plays a position as dependent on others as RB. I also suspect his issues are more effort/character related rather ability-based and being motivated to play on a contender might spark something in him. It's more a passing curiosity than serious interest.  

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Is laveon bell even good anymore ? 

We will see, but with their offense you would have to assume he will get every opportunity...

12 hours ago, Starkiller said:

He made $28M from the Jets over 2 years (less than). I’d say he still won...

The Steelers offered him 70 million for five years.  Now, he only was going to have a 10 million dollar signing bonus, but he was going to make 33 million in his first two seasons.  He was a fan favorite.  I doubt he would have been cut in the first two seasons, and historically, Pittsburg has never cut a player one year in a lucrative deal like that. 

He had 27 fully guaranteed from the Jets, and I believe that is all he made.  Assuming he had not been cut in Pittsburgh, he would have pocketed 33 million, and would be working on his third year at 14 million.  So, by the end of this year, he would be at 47 million.

He was foolish and overplayed his hand.  

9 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

The Steelers offered him 70 million for five years.  Now, he only was going to have a 10 million dollar signing bonus, but he was going to make 33 million in his first two seasons.  He was a fan favorite.  I doubt he would have been cut in the first two seasons, and historically, Pittsburg has never cut a player one year in a lucrative deal like that. 

He had 27 fully guaranteed from the Jets, and I believe that is all he made.  Assuming he had not been cut in Pittsburgh, he would have pocketed 33 million, and would be working on his third year at 14 million.  So, by the end of this year, he would be at 47 million.

He was foolish and overplayed his hand.  

The Steelers had already committed to franchise tag Bell. He rejected their deal because it was not enough over what he was already getting via a 1 year franchise tag. 

The mistake was that he didn’t sign that deal or play under the tag, so he got nothing. 

So, as the board's resident Chiefs fan.....

First, I am not a Bell fan.  I'm just not.  I felt like he was a me first player.  I understand he was taking care of his own, and he should.  That said, the Steelers offered him 70 million for 5 years.  He sat out over 1 million dollars per year.  He signed for even less with the Jets.  So, not only was he selfish, he was also a bad business person.

I am concerned that his attitude will rub off on a team that I am concerned is already getting too cocky.

As far as his skills go.... Given his running style, I am not sure he will be as effective with the Chiefs.  The Steelers line had three pro bowlers and one of them was an all pro.  Chiefs don't have that kind of beef up front.  I expect better than the production with the Jets, but I don't expect to see the Bell we saw in Pittsburgh in the run game.

Interestingly, in the passing game, I think we could see a very effective player in the screen game, and short passing game.  Interestingly, if there is a weakness to Mahomes game, it is the short passing game.  Especially touch passes to rb's leaking out of the backfield.  So, I will be watching to see if that improves.

Healthwise- I am concerned as he seemed to have some issues.  I also think that was probably overplayed since he was on an awful team.  To me, that should hurt his marketability next offseason.  But, if he goes to the Chiefs and balls out, then I expect that someone will give him a nice deal.

I still think he played his hand pretty badly.  He had a three of a kind ACES and decided to discard two of them to try to draw for a Royal Flush.  

4 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The Steelers had already committed to franchise tag Bell. He rejected their deal because it was not enough over what he was already getting via a 1 year franchise tag. 

The mistake was that he didn’t sign that deal or play under the tag, so he got nothing. 

He was concerned about playing the one year in case of injury.  Totally understand that.  He should have signed the long term deal.  He would have made more money. 

But, more than the money, he would have had a better career.  He would likely have surpassed 9k rushing yards this year, and 10k next.  He would be approaching 15k scrimmage yards by the end of this year.  

He would have had a shot at the HOF.  Not a lock, but a shot.  Now, he has no shot.

He cost himself millions in endorsements too.  

He has a chance to win a Super Bowl.  He has a chance to revive his career.  We'll see what comes of it.

9 minutes ago, dcblanton said:

So, as the board's resident Chiefs fan.....

First, I am not a Bell fan.  I'm just not.  I felt like he was a me first player.  I understand he was taking care of his own, and he should.  That said, the Steelers offered him 70 million for 5 years.  He sat out over 1 million dollars per year.  He signed for even less with the Jets.  So, not only was he selfish, he was also a bad business person.

I am concerned that his attitude will rub off on a team that I am concerned is already getting too cocky.

As far as his skills go.... Given his running style, I am not sure he will be as effective with the Chiefs.  The Steelers line had three pro bowlers and one of them was an all pro.  Chiefs don't have that kind of beef up front.  I expect better than the production with the Jets, but I don't expect to see the Bell we saw in Pittsburgh in the run game.

Interestingly, in the passing game, I think we could see a very effective player in the screen game, and short passing game.  Interestingly, if there is a weakness to Mahomes game, it is the short passing game.  Especially touch passes to rb's leaking out of the backfield.  So, I will be watching to see if that improves.

Healthwise- I am concerned as he seemed to have some issues.  I also think that was probably overplayed since he was on an awful team.  To me, that should hurt his marketability next offseason.  But, if he goes to the Chiefs and balls out, then I expect that someone will give him a nice deal.

I still think he played his hand pretty badly.  He had a three of a kind ACES and decided to discard two of them to try to draw for a Royal Flush.  

Was never a fan of Bell, I'm a Pittsburgh area native so I've seen a lot of Steeler games with friends.  His running style greatly benefited from the Steelers offensive line all those years.  I knew once he left or the Steelers line declined he would fall off a cliff.   It's funny more fans back this way wanted to bring Bell back.

Yeah, he hosed himself both financially and reputationally by getting out of Pitt.

The odds of him fixing his rep in KC are low (but not insignificant); however, his odds of recouping the lost earnings are zero.

Edited by ChemEngr79