Mike Sando: Open Secret In NFL That Titans Didn't Enforce Mask Wearing

"Execs from multiple teams said it’s been an open secret that the Titans have not strictly enforced guidelines regarding masks within their facility. The execs said they knew this through conversations with Titans staffers predating the outbreak ... Saffold’s revelation raises another red flag, even if the practice session was held before an NFL memo was distributed explicitly banning such gatherings.

“Somewhere, there has to be some captains of the team who meet with the head coach and say they are thinking about doing this, and the coach says not to do it, that getting together in a big group probably is not a good idea,” an exec said.

It’s implausible, execs said, to think players organized a practice without anyone in the organization — a coach, an equipment manager, a trainer, etc. — knowing. The fact that players chose Montgomery Bell Academy, a prominent public venue, for their practice shows there was no attempt to conceal the session’s existence.

If the Titans did not enforce protocols, then there’s obviously a leadership deficiency at levels that would include the front office, the coaching staff, training staff and the team’s infection control officer. Execs thought the head coach would be most instrumental based on the role he plays in directly addressing players each day."

https://theathletic.com/2123779/2020/10/08/execs-unfiltered-harsh-punishment-for-titans-if-covid-19-protocols-ignored?source=user-shared-article

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The NFL is really working hard to slant public opinion before giving us the death penalty. 

The thing that doesn’t make sense to me is why they would be practicing out in the open with people watching at multiple locations if they were scared of people noticing. They clearly thought they wer

If it was so widely known then why didn't the NFL step in sooner?  You know, make sure your protocols are being followed BEFORE you have an outbreak

Posted Images

These quotes from the "Dennis Kelly is a dictator" story are absolutely golden:

"He’s really been anal about it," Titans safety Kevin Byard said on a Zoom conference call Monday. "We’re all getting used to these new rules and protocols and wearing a mask and stuff like that, and I think it’s good. ... At the end of the day, man, the safest team and the healthiest team this year, I think is going to be the one that’s going to be playing in January and February."  Well, Kevin, it's looking like you might not be playing in January and February.

"He’s definitely been patrolling, doing his thing," Titans tight end Jonnu Smith said on a Zoom conference call when asked about Kelly's enforcement of mask wearing. "We kind (of) follow when Dennis leads when it comes to safety protocols." Hey Jonnu, maybe you should have more than "kind of" followed the Undertaker.

“I think Dennis would be an unbelievable dictator in any country with the way he’s been handling the mask thing,” Lewan said with tongue in cheek. “And so although it’s been very annoying, he’s doing a good job. And I hate even saying that out loud. Dennis is a really good friend of mine so I hate throwing the boy compliments." You know what Dennis likes more than compliment from The Boy? A grown man acting responsibly without needing to be reminded what to do.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/08/03/titans-dennis-kelly-taylor-lewan-masks-covid-19-training-camp-2020/5559000002/

I propose that the extent of the punishment be that all Titans are required to wear this mask while making love to their partners.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 11.55.41 AM.png

9 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

"Execs from multiple teams said it’s been an open secret that the Titans have not strictly enforced guidelines regarding masks within their facility. The execs said they knew this through conversations with Titans staffers predating the outbreak ... Saffold’s revelation raises another red flag, even if the practice session was held before an NFL memo was distributed explicitly banning such gatherings.

“Somewhere, there has to be some captains of the team who meet with the head coach and say they are thinking about doing this, and the coach says not to do it, that getting together in a big group probably is not a good idea,” an exec said.

It’s implausible, execs said, to think players organized a practice without anyone in the organization — a coach, an equipment manager, a trainer, etc. — knowing. The fact that players chose Montgomery Bell Academy, a prominent public venue, for their practice shows there was no attempt to conceal the session’s existence.

If the Titans did not enforce protocols, then there’s obviously a leadership deficiency at levels that would include the front office, the coaching staff, training staff and the team’s infection control officer. Execs thought the head coach would be most instrumental based on the role he plays in directly addressing players each day."

https://theathletic.com/2123779/2020/10/08/execs-unfiltered-harsh-punishment-for-titans-if-covid-19-protocols-ignored?source=user-shared-article

This is such bullshit. We aren’t the only team it’s not even close. These other teams are all being dickheads. If their coaches aren’t wearing them you can bet their players aren’t either. The god damn raiders were at a charity event with no masks. You are to believe we are the only team. These other teams are trying to pile On the Titans woes. Complete and utter fucking bullshit if you believe we are the only team doing this then I have magic beans to sell you. 

6 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Vrabel could literally be trying to save his job as we speak.

I doubt it will go that far. We could be looking at a multiple game suspension or even the year for him. Both would be fair. The guy doesn't deserve to lose his job when the State of TN can't even get its shit together on restrictions. 

11 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

@Th3Ch0senOn3

Haven't followed the forum too closely but it was certainly rumored that there were other violations and that masks might have been involved. This confirming that not only were masks not being worn but that it was kind of an open secret seems another step.

Lol this doesn't "confirm" anything

Just now, Mythos27 said:

Ugh. Why did the Titans have to be the team that showed Trumpers unequivocally the difference between adhering to mask-wearing and not doing so?

Wasn’t even that. It was either a player or coach that didn’t have symptoms came to work and spread it. No different than when you or I go to work and someone gets us sick. It’s going to

happen, regardless