Gosko has to go.

Number9

HOF Kicker.  Okay.  

The thing is kickers don't last forever.  We are two games into the season and he's missed three FGs inside the 50 yard line.  He has also missed two extra point tries.  That's unacceptable.  The Titans plan is to compete for the SB, so the team needs players who can compete with the best in every category.  The Ravens and the Chiefs both have excellent kickers.  The need is even more pressing for the Titans.  The Titans have a good offense, great for what they do.  It's not equal to Baltimore's or Kansas City's offenses.  When the Titans get in scoring range they need to feel confident they will walk away with points.

A 50-50 kicker who has missed two extra points tries just won't get the job done.  I know they are looking and they have tried to get the best one they could.  Still, they need to keep searching.  When kickers go bad it's not a sign that they are getting ready to be good.

4 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Week 1 was atrocious. Week 2, he hit a 51 and a 49-yard field goal. He miss an extra point, though. Still enough to buy time.

Time enough to be trying out his replacement.

While everyone is frustrated with the whole of the kicking game going back to last year, those two kicks SG made Sunday were money.  It looked like to me there was a problem with the snap on the EP he missed which makes sense that he pulled it.  I don't think there's anyone better out there right now or he would be here already.  

3 minutes ago, smokeater said:

While everyone is frustrated with the whole of the kicking game going back to last year, those two kicks SG made Sunday were money.  It looked like to me there was a problem with the snap on the EP he missed which makes sense that he pulled it.  I don't think there's anyone better out there right now or he would be here already.  

Agree.  That whole XP seemed wonky.  He nailed the long FG's so I'm good for now.

I’m not ready to call for his head just yet....but he obviously used up any goodwill mulligans in week 1.  Even if the missed XP wasn’t his fault, it still didn’t help matters.  

But he nailed two critical kicks when the team needed them yesterday...and hitting two game-winning kicks in two weeks  is nothing to sneeze at.  

He’s obviously a long ways from money-in-the-bank status a la Brett Kern or Succop circa 2017-2018.    Hopefully he settles in and all is forgotten by midseason.   

2 hours ago, smokeater said:

There was a problem with the snap, just like the first game. Jags have a good kicker and he missed an EP as well. Not time time cut bait yet.

I'm actually more concerned about the snapper and holder at this point. At this point they've fucked up more FG attempts than Gostkowski. I haven't paid this close attention since when I was coaching HS football. If you've been on or coached a team with a shitty snapper you know the anxiety. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/new-england-patriots-it-took-two-decades-but-theres-a-kicking-problem/

It’s taken over two decades, but the New England Patriots have a kicking problem. Stephen Gostkowskimissed his fourth extra point attempt of the season last Sunday against Buffalo and we are only four weeks into the season. Through the end of the 2015 regular season, Gostkowski missed only one extra point in ten years.

Since 2015

The real significance of 2015 for Gostkowski is the extra-point attempt he missed in the AFC Championship game in Denver. As a result, New England had to go for two in an attempt to force the game into overtime, as opposed to lining up for another extra point. Tom Brady never saw a wide-open Rob Gronkowski on the two-point attempt, and the Broncos went on the win the Super Bowl. 

Gronk was wide open on the 2-pt try. Brady looked him off: pic.twitter.com/VCXheI6v24

Ever since that miss, Gostkowski has been noticeably more shaky, as if it’s an issue in his own head. The following season, he missed three extra points, then missed three over the next two years. He is already at four in 2019. Furthermore, while once incredibly clutch (for example, this 54-yard game-winner against the Giants that would have been good from what looks like 65 yards), since that miss in 2015, Gostkowski has missed an extra point in the Super Bowl against the Falcons, an extra point and field goal against the Eagles, and a field goal against the Rams.

2 hours ago, nine said:

I’m not ready to call for his head just yet....but he obviously used up any goodwill mulligans in week 1.  Even if the missed XP wasn’t his fault, it still didn’t help matters.  

But he nailed two critical kicks when the team needed them yesterday...and hitting two game-winning kicks in two weeks  is nothing to sneeze at.  

He’s obviously a long ways from money-in-the-bank status a la Brett Kern or Succop circa 2017-2018.    Hopefully he settles in and all is forgotten by midseason.   

An extra point that's really the fault of the snapper/holder isn't something to get hiney hairs twisted over. I won't add that to the chagrin from week 1. The back to back game winners is a confidence builder. I'm putting away the hedge clippers I was going to use to chop his balls off with at least. They'll stay put away as long as he keeps kicking game winners and starts making XPs.

Edited by NashvilleNinja