GoodToGo

Arthur Smith needs to stop being stubborn

When Henry can’t gain a damn yard early on, stop trying to prove a point by running him into the dirt over and over. 

The opponent’s D will always have to worry about Henry. So keep up the play action. Tanney is accurate, confident. This is what can and should soften up their D so Henry can feast at some point. 

Pass to open up the run. Not only the opposite. Take the deep shots like early on with Jonnu. Don’t completely abandon it. 

Tanney was awesome, but Henry was run way too often while the Jags sold out to stop him. 

We need balance, but we also need to take notice of which strategy opens up the other major component. And maybe sometimes balance isn’t the best plan. Maybe the pass is what we need most, because we’re fucking good at it, especially in short yardage situations. 

The pitch to Henry on 3rd and one. What about a short pass to ANY of our receivers?

Oh well. Eat me up. I’m just a fan who doesn’t like my butthole to clench up the whole goddamn game. 

Yeah, and fix the atrocious D. MAJOR PROBLEM. 

And as always, go Titans. 

a run play on 3rd and 1 is a good call.
whereas a deep pass on 3rd and 1 is not ( not that that's what you meant, i'm saying i've seen this team do that shit) - a quick out on 3rd and 1, or even a screen pass would be a good call, but not anything 15+ downfield

I think the pitch to Henry should have gained a yard.  Just a good defensive play.  I mean, getting Henry with a head of steam is his bread and butter.  

I'm not too concerned with the game plan. If teams are selling out to stop the run, then go with it, but you have to maintain that the run is a threat.  I don't know the numbers, but I feel this game had more passing than running. 

Teams are inevitably going to have to abandon stopping Henry as the game plan.  Our passing game can get it done.  This is a good thing.

3 minutes ago, PuckDaddy said:

a run play on 3rd and 1 is a good call.
whereas a deep pass on 3rd and 1 is not ( not that that's what you meant, i'm saying i've seen this team do that shit) - a quick out on 3rd and 1, or even a screen pass would be a good call, but not anything 15+ downfield

I’m talking a three or four yard pass. I believe any of our receivers on the field would make that catch.

1 minute ago, Rogue said:

I think the pitch to Henry should have gained a yard.  Just a good defensive play.  I mean, getting Henry with a head of steam is his bread and butter.  

I'm not too concerned with the game plan. If teams are selling out to stop the run, then go with it, but you have to maintain that the run is a threat.  I don't know the numbers, but I feel this game had more passing than running. 

Teams are inevitably going to have to abandon stopping Henry as the game plan.  Our passing game can get it done.  This is a good thing.

That’s what I’m saying. Our passing game is so good that we should lead with it. Then other opportunities arise. 

The pitch? Sure, it could have been great. Except for the fact that they were honed in on Henry the whole game. 

On 3rd and one, please don’t pitch it back to essentially make it six and one when Henry is bottled up most of the game. QB sneak maybe. Run Henry up the middle maybe. Pass the ball? My preference. 

25 minutes ago, GoodToGo said:

That’s what I’m saying. Our passing game is so good that we should lead with it. Then other opportunities arise. 

The pitch? Sure, it could have been great. Except for the fact that they were honed in on Henry the whole game. 

On 3rd and one, please don’t pitch it back to essentially make it six and one when Henry is bottled up most of the game. QB sneak maybe. Run Henry up the middle maybe. Pass the ball? My preference. 

I feel we did go with the passing game today.  Only the stats can say.  I feel that if a defense is predicated on stopping the run, you still have to run the ball to keep them on that plan.  This allows the passing game to open up.  

Conversely, if a defense aligned to stop the pass, you still have to pass to keep them from aligning to the run.  

We're, for once, well balanced and can rely on pass or run depending on opposing defensive strategy.  Whatever they are committing to, you have to balance it out in such a way they continue to commit and take advantage of that.  

The pitch to Henry would be a first down 9 out of 10 times.  It was just a good defensive play.  

I've got no problems with offensive game planning overall  Defense?  I'm not so sure.  I'm simply not sold on a DC-less system. 

6 minutes ago, Rogue said:

I feel we did go with the passing game today.  Only the stats can say.  I feel that if a defense is predicated on stopping the run, you still have to run the ball to keep them on that plan.  This allows the passing game to open up.  

Conversely, if a defense aligned to stop the pass, you still have to pass to keep them from aligning to the run.  

We're, for once, well balanced and can rely on pass or run depending on opposing defensive strategy.  Whatever they are committing to, you have to balance it out in such a way they continue to commit and take advantage of that.  

The pitch to Henry would be a first down 9 out of 10 times.  It was just a good defensive play.  

I've got no problems with offensive game planning overall  Defense?  I'm not so sure.  I'm simply not sold on a DC-less system. 

I like your post. But I do believe you have to go with what’s working best, and sprinkle in what isn’t working as well. Just to keep them honest. 

10 minutes ago, GoodToGo said:

I like your post. But I do believe you have to go with what’s working best, and sprinkle in what isn’t working as well. Just to keep them honest. 

I feel that's what they did today.  The last two games were to stop the run, and our passing game prevailed.  

I don't think a game plan of stopping Henry is working out.  And when teams decide the other way?  Henry is likely to feast.  

I like where we're at offensivly.  Defensively, not so much.  

3 minutes ago, Rogue said:

I feel that's what they did today.  The last two games were to stop the run, and our passing game prevailed.  

I don't think a game plan of stopping Henry is working out.  And when teams decide the other way?  Henry is likely to feast.  

I like where we're at offensivly.  Defensively, not so much.  

Our D was atrocious today. I mean, beyond shitting blood atrocious. But if we had kept hitting them with our passing attack, we would have beaten them by 20+, regardless of the already high-scoring game. 

Smith MUST believe in Tanney. He is the best QB we’ve had since Steve McNair, who was handcuffed by the absolute moron, Jeff Fisher.

We can’t afford anymore handcuffs. No more close-game mentalities. No more Eddie George and his, past-his-prime, two yards and a pile of dust, 

Fisher once said he wanted the game to be close in the fourth quarter. What the fuck? 

A sane man wants to decimate his opponent. Blowout. Kill the other team. Destroy the dreams they had going back to childhood. 

I want blood. And I want my team to want the same. 

12 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

He called a good game. Idk if you noticed, but the QB threw 4 TDs and we won. 

I did notice. I noticed Henry eating grass when we had plenty opportunities to pass because Tanney is a stud. 

If you enjoyed this win, you’re a part of the problem. 

I had to listen to this game on the radio, so I am not sure this is the case, but it seems that on these plays the formation was a really obvious give to Henry. I was calling the run in the car pretty consistently. I don't necessarily disagree with feeding Henry, but you can't make it too transparent. Same thing happened at the end of the Pats/Seahawks game. Cam was running really well, yes--but the play call was an obvious draw to him, therefore the defense could sell out. In critical moments, the defense will be amped up and will make the read if it is obvious. 

13 minutes ago, Bink said:

I had to listen to this game on the radio, so I am not sure this is the case, but it seems that on these plays the formation was a really obvious give to Henry. I was calling the run in the car pretty consistently. I don't necessarily disagree with feeding Henry, but you can't make it too transparent. Same thing happened at the end of the Pats/Seahawks game. Cam was running really well, yes--but the play call was an obvious draw to him, therefore the defense could sell out. In critical moments, the defense will be amped up and will make the read if it is obvious. 

Bottom line. If Henry ain’t getting shit, you pass. And you pass. And you pass. Then maybe Henry gets yards. But the pass was money. So pass :)