Jonboy

Week 2: Jags @ Titans Game Thread

16 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

This is clearly directed at me so just quote so I can more easily respond.

What I said was "Vrabel's uber-conservative nature could ultimately keep this teem from contending for a title."

They can win a lot of games on sheer talent. But he needs to not be afraid to go for the jugular and ride Tannehill when the man was nearly perfect all day.

And enough with this "flat out do not like Vrabel" garbage. I didn't like the hire, but the man has done a fantastic job as coach. We're officially a good team now. I'm trying to hone in on what is going to hold this team from being truly elite and consistently competing with teams like NO, KC, BAL, SEA, etc.

I'm honestly stunned you were ok with all the 1st down runs today.

This a thousand times over ^^^. Having the talent isn’t enough most of the time. You need coaches who are willing to take a risk to put the game away. 

I think a big reason why Andy Reid was finally able to get a championship last year (apart from Mahomes) was that he had learned from losing so many playoff games in the past that you can’t ever let off the gas. You have to take risks when the games are close or even when you have the lead. 

Payton, Harbough, Carroll, Belichick, and maybe Reid are the only coaches that I think have struck the perfect balance with regards to this.

It’s not a secret why Tannihill is playing the best football of his career. Vrabel and Smith know what they are doing. 

1 minute ago, Lars said:

Vrabel is playing it correctly. Tannihill has become an excellent PA passer and game manager. Having him throw it much more will result in diminished returns, turnovers, sacks taken etc. Vrabel understanding that is is one of the things that makes him very good. 

I have no problem with the first 3 quarters. The fourth quarter play calling was a shitshow on 3rd down. The toss for negative 3 forcing a punt and then the screen when they were shooting their inside LBs the whole game were awful. 

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

I have no problem with the first 3 quarters. The fourth quarter play calling was a shitshow on 3rd down. The toss for negative 3 forcing a punt and then the screen when they were shooting their inside LBs the whole game were awful. 

I agree there. That was a rare bad call. 

Also just want to say the screen game is made for outside pressure, not inside. When a team gets pressure up the middle you don’t use screens like that. You use hot routes over the middle filling the gap against the LBs. 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The Jags have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They blew a 14 point by going too conservative and the Jags almost won as a result. You don't let teams back in the game, you step on their throats and end the game early. 

Well they had one drive where they punted when Jax was down 14, right?  Because remember it was 24-10, Jax scored coming out of half, the Titans scored the next possession, then Jax scored and the Titans punted after that.  I think that's when they had the 3rd down call.  It's not like the Titans were running up the middle and punting all game.  33 points is 33 points.

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He did that at least 3 times without a flag. 

The old Bruce Smith lining up in the neutral zone trick.

The only drive they didn't score on in the first half Tannehill took the sack on third down dropping them out of FG range. But Henry had just lost 7 yards on what I think was another toss play. This drive was 7 passes and 3 runs and had 3 false starts.

The drives that stalled in the second half:

1-10 Henry 1 yard run.

2-9 Tannehill scramble 8 yards.

3-1 Henry -2 yard run. [Bad toss play]

PUNT

1-10 Henry 9 yard run

Defensive holding

1-10 Tannehill to Batson 18 yards

1-10 Henry 2 yards

2-8 Tannehill INC to Davis

3-8 Tannhill INC to Smith

PUNT

Then the FG drive

Henry 9 yards

Henry 2 yards

Tannhill to Hump 5 yards

Tannhill INC

DPI

Henry no gain

Tannehill INC to Hump (should have had this one)

Tannehill to Firk 5 yards

FG