Jump to content

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Yea, I think it's scheduled for like October 13th or something like that for the ACA.  They may decide to not rule on it though until a 9th member is selected.  

 

Honestly though, I don't think the ACA will stick around regardless.  They have to pass a better bill that will stand up better in the courts.  

 

I was wrong. Its 11/10 so the week after the election. either way the ACA is dead with only 8 justices. If Roberts sides with the liberals its a 4-4 split and the lower court ruling that threw out the ACA is held up. This is what democrats should be talking about from now until the minute the polls close. If they want any chance to save the ACA o pass another version of it they must take the Senate away from McConnell. I'd focus on that rather than the hypocrisy of the GOP moving forward with a supreme court nominee.

Edited by oldschool
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This country... can't even mourn an American Icon without fighting over her body and her seat. We are pathetic.

The ACA is the Republican health bill from the 90s. It's Mitt Romney's Republican law from Massachusetts in the early 00s.    Yet when Obama brought up the same law, suddenly it became a "go

I actually think it could be a good idea. The life time appointments were supposed to depolitize the Judiciary assuming both parties would use the powers of congress to vet potential judges and ensure

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, ctm said:

Lindsay Graham is chairman of senate judiciary.  He's going to have a say in when the nominee is reported out of committee and moves to the senate floor.

 

Does he want to take a vote before or after the election?  Don't know, but he's in a very tight race.  Last poll was 48/48.  If I'm him, I want all the TV publicity of the hearings so that he shows the faithful he's doing the job, but take the vote post election so as not to piss off any fence sitters.  No idea how he looks at but his political considerations will come into play.

 

He has no choice but to push the nominee through if he wants to keep his seat. The Evangelicals will turn on him in a heartbeat if they think he's blocking the path toward repealing Roe V Wade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Republicans aren’t interested in legislating. The house has sent several bills to the senate after passing them and the senate has sat on its hands refusing to do anything. 

Absolutely but as the health care system crumbles their hand will be forced.  There has to be some sort of plan or the uproar will be so loud that eventually political will should shift and then a new plan will be introduced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ctm said:

If its a 4-4 tie on the court, the lower court ruling would stand and the ACA would be repealed.

If they vote on it.  They might delay the vote.  We have seen them do that before when they didn't have 9 on controversial issues like this.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

I was wrong. Its 11/10 so the week after the election. either way the ACA is dead with only 8 justices. If Roberts sides with the liberals its a 4-4 split and the lower court ruling that threw out the ACA is held up. This is what democrats should be talking about from now until the minute the polls close. If they want any chance to save the ACA o pass another version of it they must take the Senate away from McConnell. I'd focus on that rather than the hypocrisy of the GOP moving forward with a supreme court nominee.

Yea, I had to look it up on the wiki page.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tgo said:


Dem SOS, the governor has no power over certifying results there. 

 

Further cements the idea McConnell has a choice to sacrifice the senate or delay the nomination in the hopes of retaining majority which could lead to a liberal filling the seat. I know which route I'm betting on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

I was wrong. Its 11/10 so the week after the election. either way the ACA is dead with only 8 justices. If Roberts sides with the liberals its a 4-4 split and the lower court ruling that threw out the ACA is held up. This is what democrats should be talking about from now until the minute the polls close. If they want any chance to save the ACA o pass another version of it they must take the Senate away from McConnell. I'd focus on that rather than the hypocrisy of the GOP moving forward with a supreme court nominee.

I've already seen an article saying that Biden's strategy will be to tie the court vacancy to healthcare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

Further cements the idea McConnell has a choice to sacrifice the senate or delay the nomination in the hopes of retaining majority which could lead to a liberal filling the seat. I know which route I'm betting on. 

Tillis and Ernst are also on Senate judiciary.  Tillis is losing and Ernst is at best in a tie.  If either one loses, it probably flips the senate.  Not sure whether either one wants a committee vote before the election.  Both need independent voters to win.

Edited by ctm
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ctm said:

Tillis and Ernst are also on Senate judiciary.  Tillis is losing and Ernst is at best in a tie.  If either one loses, it probably flips the senate.  Not sure whether either one wants a committee vote before the election.  Both need independent voters to win.

 

I think McConnell pushes for a vote before election day and he can't get vulnerable Senators to vote for him, he'll simply push it through during the lame duck session.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...