12 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Thats the point. They should be engaging with Collins, Murkowski, Romney, and a few others behind closed doors while making it known publicly there will be repercussions  if the GOP goes down this road. Appealing to principle is a non starter. Honestly I don't think anything can stop McConnell. He knows he's on borrowed time with American demographics and the best way to delay it from happening is to stack the courts. It's his endgame and he's close to achieving it. 

The best strategy is behind the scenes and in public.  Esp for Collins and Murkowski who are up for reelection.  Romney's a given and the others are already on record against it.  Getting the public behind it is the missing piece.

I actually think the Dems have a descent shot

Edited by VaTitan

1 minute ago, VaTitan said:

I think it's possible

1 minute ago, VaTitan said:

The best strategy is behind the scenes and in public.  Esp for Collins and Murkowski who are up for reelection.  Romney's a given and the others are already on record against it.  Getting the public behind it is the missing piece.

They have a moon shot chance at best. The funny thing is that RGB's death and the GOP insistence to move forward replacing her stands to give Biden a huge boost at the polls. 

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Murkowski actually said after the president is inaugurated

True. But if trump wins (and I don’t think he will) there’s no reason to wait after November. 

here is what I see happening. Trump announces his nominee, hearings take place, trump loses, and between nov and Jan the senate confirms despite him being a lame duck president. 

4 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

True. But if trump wins (and I don’t think he will) there’s no reason to wait after November. 

here is what I see happening. Trump announces his nominee, hearings take place, trump loses, and between nov and Jan the senate confirms despite him being a lame duck president. 

I agree this is what will happen 

3 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

This is the most likely scenario. The one wrinkle here is that Kelly is ahead of McSally in the AZ Senate special election so he will be sworn in her spot as soon as the the state board certifies the results. If that happens it will be a 52-48 split in the Senate and only Collins, Murkowski, and Romney would be needed to block the nomination. The above is why I think McConnel is going to push hardcore to complete process before election day which is even more bush league considering voting has already started in multiple states.

9 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Hadn't thought of this, but damn.  If so, I hope to God the Dems turn the Senate and go all out next term.  In the end our country loses but still...

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

the ACA is dead as early as the October session and Roe v Wade will follow in 2021. 

Yea, I think it's scheduled for like October 13th or something like that for the ACA.  They may decide to not rule on it though until a 9th member is selected.  

Honestly though, I don't think the ACA will stick around regardless.  They have to pass a better bill that will stand up better in the courts.  

9 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is the most likely scenario. The one wrinkle here is that Kelly is ahead of McSally in the AZ Senate special election so he will be sworn in her spot as soon as the the state board certifies the results. If that happens it will be a 52-48 split in the Senate and only Collins, Murkowski, and Romney would be needed to block the nomination. The above is why I think McConnel is going to push hardcore to complete process before election day which is even more bush league considering voting has already started in multiple states.

Kelly is going to smoke McSally. It won’t even be close. 

4 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Yea, I think it's scheduled for like October 13th or something like that for the ACA.  They may decide to not rule on it though until a 9th member is selected.  

Honestly though, I don't think the ACA will stick around regardless.  They have to pass a better bill that will stand up better in the courts.  

Republicans aren’t interested in legislating. The house has sent several bills to the senate after passing them and the senate has sat on its hands refusing to do anything. 

25 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Lindsay Graham is chairman of senate judiciary.  He's going to have a say in when the nominee is reported out of committee and moves to the senate floor.

Does he want to take a vote before or after the election?  Don't know, but he's in a very tight race.  Last poll was 48/48.  If I'm him, I want all the TV publicity of the hearings so that he shows the faithful he's doing the job, but take the vote post election so as not to piss off any fence sitters.  No idea how he looks at but his political considerations will come into play.

Edited by ctm

22 minutes ago, Justafan said:

If its a 4-4 tie on the court, the lower court ruling would stand and the ACA would be repealed.