8 hours ago, Mercalius said:

One of those people pretty much called me a Nazi after being e-friends for nearly a decade so I do question it.  Just saying.  

And, to edit, when the moderation crew basically all skews to the progressive left (at least the ones most actively engaging in topics) - it makes for a pretty discouraging place to discuss anything outside of football.  I don’t know what Soxcat said, and if it was something egregious, my bad.  But I do know my personal experience of dissenting from consensus forum think here and losing long-standing friends (or whatever you’d call them) because of it.  I disagreed with a few political takes and felt not only the wave of dissenting opinion from a largely leftist forum (that’s fine) but long-standing acquaintances with moderation privileges throwing my character under the bus for high fives and likes.  When they’ve been “friends” with you on Facebook and Twitter for years and are all of a sudden insinuating you’re a racist or ___phobe, it’s not a fun time.  They’ve seen pictures of my home, spouse, and kid.  And given the current climate...that’s a fucking awful feeling to have - when this is one of the few reprieves a guy does have to ideally just shoot the shit with forum buddies.  I’ve never as regretfully unfriended someone from social media as I have Jamal.  But I felt I had to.  Because of Titans Report.  Again, just being honest.  

I’ve never been a Soxcat apologist - but it does seem fishy that of all years when the political rhetoric and divisiveness is at an all time high he all of a sudden vanishes.  With most of us not knowing why.  🤷‍♂️

The banning of certain members has turned the politics forum into a bit of an echo chamber at times, which is unfortunate.    It's hard to have a good discussion or debate without equal representation from both sides.      I don't think I've banned anyone personally, but I trust the other mods;  I can assume the banned members violated the "no racism" policy.

But IMO,  this isn't so much a matter of eliminating dissenting opinions;   I suspect the members who are banned probably brought it upon themselves.    They had a long history of viewpoints and opinions that bordered on racist rhetoric;  based on their track records,  I imagine they finally crossed the line at some point and started spouting overt white supremacy rhetoric.  Buh-bye.

It kinda sucks that we have only a handful of conservative-leaning members who have shown the ability to represent their position without resorting to racist rhetoric.     I truly value their opinions, and I firmly believe the only way to learn and understand other viewpoints and opinions is to talk about it.      I already know my own thoughts an opinions on various issues;    I very much want to hear from other people who are probably way smarter and more informed than I am.  I've learned a great deal from opinions I didn't necessarily agree with....but it helped me understand where they're coming from so I can respect it.    I just wish we had greater participation from both sides to represent the entire spectrum without resorting to insults and race-baiting.

I imagine this thread will probably end up getting moved to the Politics forum at some point.....but let's  see how long it lasts in the main forum.

7 hours ago, TitansGuru said:

I didn’t ban him but completely trust the judgment of the people who can make these decisions. We aren’t aiming for super “woke” here and I wouldn’t be on a site like that. Just general human decency.

Do you even read your own board?  It must be pretty low standard for general human decency considering some of the topics and comments that are made on here on a regular basis.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. I actually enjoy the depravity and think it’s hilarious but there’s definitely an inconsistency on how this is applied and the common denominator seems to be based on political leanings, not some made up standard of “general human decency”.

JMO.  

7 hours ago, rns90 said:

And really how hard is it to abide by one simple rule:  Don't post racist things or you will get banned.

The more I see it, the more I just realize that these idiots honest to god don't know that the stupid shit they say is racist. Especially with the use of cherry-picked stats, these guys think it's alright to spout ridiculously offensive nonsense because they have been told their entire life to believe these views.

If I were to say that men must be better at science and engineering because the ratio of professionals in the field, it is completely incorrect and ignores the actual history of why those (and many other professions) are male driven but  manages to be a simple understandable statement that's completely sexist.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

3 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

The more I see it, the more I just realize that these idiots honest to god don't know that the stupid shit they say is racist. Especially with the use of cherry-picked stats, these guys think it's alright to spout ridiculously offensive nonsense because they have been told their entire life to believe these views.

This is actually a pretty good example. I wouldn’t inherently think it’s racist if a person sites statistics that support their position on an issue. Others would. That is a much grayer  area in my opinion than the use of racial slurs or citing that one group of people is a master race, etc.  I also think some people are more easily offended than others.  That’s why we have terms like Karen and woke.

I’d also point out that racism on TR is essentially defined as white/black relations.  Asians Muslims folks from the Middle East, are all fair game when there’s definitely been racist rhetoric thrown around. The same for sexism. How many people on here including moderators were talking about how Amy Adams must’ve been fucking Mularkey back in the day.  Even Dianna Russini was slandered on her as she routinely broke Titan stories some didn’t like......

As stated earlier, I think the depravity and lack of moderation on here actually makes TR and it’s predecessor unique and good.  I don’t think there should be any moderation to be honest because we know it won’t be applied consistently.

13 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

This is actually a pretty good example. I wouldn’t inherently think it’s racist if a person sites statistics that support their position on an issue.

It's not.  But when it go against their narrative, they cry racism.

I would love to see what people said and the context of why it was said that caused Jamal to ban them.

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The moderators need the most moderation!

Agree.  LOL that @tgo completely trusts the judgement of you animals....General human decency......That's rich when we all laugh about Todd Heap crushing his daughter's skull like Mariota crushed @EagleEye 's dreams......

Guess it's ok to gay bash too....

On 9/13/2013 at 3:13 PM, Jamalisms said:

The answer to your question is no.

At the same time I did get angry and did use a three letter word as a slur (that had nothing to do with his sexual preference as far as I know but does resemble the last three letters of his name) in response to a post he made. While I apologized for that because it was inapropriate for a multitude of reasons, it did happen and Titansfan hasn't posted much at all since then which certainly has led to speculation and makes it even more regrettable.

Some people think it's funny. I find it rather shameful and pathetic... both that I typed it up and put that out into the universe and that it is continually joked about, but mostly the former. I don't hide from the comment any more than I hide from anything else around here, which considering I don't hide behind a screen name like most people do ... it is rather a bit more shaming than most things on internet forums and I don't appreciate it being misrepresented by others simply because they have nothing better to do... which considering this is TR and Scotty is who he is, that's pretty much never going to happen.

I had an idea some of this was happening, but mostly wanted to ignore it. Like many of you, I'm just here to talk Titans football. I largely ignore the Politics forum and only occasionally even hop into Off-Topic.

So I can't speak to why specific posts were hidden and/or posters banned. I only ever use my mod permissions to merge threads, move threads, and remove spam posts.

That being said - from my perspective - I do think we need more transparency on this. Like Guru said, he trusts the mods' judgement, but I think it would help the board as a whole if everyone knew specifically what is off grounds and what isn't. It's already been pointed out in this thread how one can interpret something as racism and others do not.

It's difficult because we're in very strange times as a society. I understand emotions are running high on both sides of the political aisle and everything in between. Then you have a message board that for its entire existence has said "anything goes." Combine that with a moderation group that was really more of a title than an actual job with specific duties and you get what's happening here. We've had more bans in the past year than in the entire site's existence going all the way back to the old site, as far as I know.

So to sum it up...I agree clear, overt and repeated racism should not be tolerated...even on a site where mostly everything goes. I do think there should be more transparency and clarity for the board on what defines "clear, overt racism." I also believe posters should be warned about their behavior first with a clear explanation on how they broke the rules and how it will be met with a ban in the future.

7 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

I had an idea some of this was happening, but mostly wanted to ignore it. Like many of you, I'm just here to talk Titans football. I largely ignore the Politics forum and only occasionally even hop into Off-Topic.

So I can't speak to why specific posts were hidden and/or posters banned. I only ever use my mod permissions to merge threads, move threads, and remove spam posts.

That being said - from my perspective - I do think we need more transparency on this. Like Guru said, he trusts the mods' judgement, but I think it would help the board as a whole if everyone knew specifically what is off grounds and what isn't. It's already been pointed out in this thread how one can interpret something as racism and others do not.

It's difficult because we're in very strange times as a society. I understand emotions are running high on both sides of the political aisle and everything in between. Then you have a message board that for its entire existence has said "anything goes." Combine that with a moderation group that was really more of a title than an actual job with specific duties and you get what's happening here. We've had more bans in the past year than in the entire site's existence going all the way back to the old site, as far as I know.

So to sum it up...I agree clear, overt and repeated racism should not be tolerated...even on a site where mostly everything goes. I do think there should be more transparency and clarity for the board on what defines "clear, overt racism." I also believe posters should be warned about their behavior first with a clear explanation on how they broke the rules and how it will be met with a ban in the future.

I don't want to speak for anyone else but these guys were over the top, intentionally provoking specific people and were warned many times.  Hell, Jamal pinned a post to the very top of the Politics forum.  

Have we all made sexist and cruel jokes on here?  Yes, but almost all of that was pointed at a situation that had nothing to do with anyone here and not a person or member of the community.  Also, many of those comments were nothing more than someone's dedicated persona or inside joke.  

Many of the things guys like Thor, Roll, and Sox said were deliberately inflammatory, overtly racist, and directed at specific individuals.  Libtards, video's offering a slurred point of view, or even straight up propaganda are one thing.  Calling someone the 'n' word because you don't like them or their political views is quite another.  I don't care what anyone says, that ain't the same as people making fun of the Todd Heap situation, a famous person, and a guy who none of us will ever meet.  If we did, there would be a drastically different tone to the conversation I'm sure.  

Just my two cents.  I'll let others explain better than I can.  

8 hours ago, Mercalius said:

One of those people pretty much called me a Nazi after being e-friends for nearly a decade so I do question it.  Just saying.  

And, to edit, when the moderation crew basically all skews to the progressive left (at least the ones most actively engaging in topics) - it makes for a pretty discouraging place to discuss anything outside of football.  I don’t know what Soxcat said, and if it was something egregious, my bad.  But I do know my personal experience of dissenting from consensus forum think here and losing long-standing friends (or whatever you’d call them) because of it.  I disagreed with a few political takes and felt not only the wave of dissenting opinion from a largely leftist forum (that’s fine) but long-standing acquaintances with moderation privileges throwing my character under the bus for high fives and likes.  When they’ve been “friends” with you on Facebook and Twitter for years and are all of a sudden insinuating you’re a racist or ___phobe, it’s not a fun time.  They’ve seen pictures of my home, spouse, and kid.  And given the current climate...that’s a fucking awful feeling to have - when this is one of the few reprieves a guy does have to ideally just shoot the shit with forum buddies.  I’ve never as regretfully unfriended someone from social media as I have Jamal.  But I felt I had to.  Because of Titans Report.  Again, just being honest.  

I’ve never been a Soxcat apologist - but it does seem fishy that of all years when the political rhetoric and divisiveness is at an all time high he all of a sudden vanishes.  With most of us not knowing why.  🤷‍♂️

What he said was really bad. I won’t repeat it. He had it coming and was warned.