Field Goal Kicking is a problem

titansfan

4 minutes ago, abenjami said:

And had never kicked with this long snapper, holder, and special teams unit.

Come on Iowa, you are smarter than this.

Putting him out there for that last FG might have saved the season. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it isn’t. The way Butler and other teammates came up to him was noteworthy. We can’t make a run without a kicker. The announcers noted how he stayed to himself after that first miss, and then he kept missing. The team rallied around him. I appreciate that. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OP might be onto something. 

Yes they will.  The change will be spending some time working on the kicking game (with the same kicker).   The lemmings will blame Gots 100% but there were some issues with snaps and timing

So is Cam Newton's passing game.  Get back to the other boards Panthersfan.

22 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Putting him out there for that last FG might have saved the season. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it isn’t. The way Butler and other teammates came up to him was noteworthy. We can’t make a run without a kicker. The announcers noted how he stayed to himself after that first miss, and then he kept missing. The team rallied around him. I appreciate that. 

His leg looked plenty strong on kickoffs and the misses.  You don't fire a hall of fame player because of one bad game.

5 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

The timing was off and is huge in the kicking mechanics.  Gostkowski bears the brunt of it but Brinkley was also bad.

The problem with timing is that the group has only worked together for a few days. They signed him 11 days before the game, and 4 or 5 of those days were tied up with covid protocols. 

So after rehabbing all offseason, Gostowski didn't get so much as a single snap in the offseason with this group to work on timing. That is affecting things, but it could also be that Gostowski's leg is an issue at his age. 

I'm not sure which is the bigger culprit at this point, but I'm guessing both. I expect him to marginally improve and for them to stick with him for the time being at least. 

Edited by tgo

24 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He appreciated it too, you could hear in his voice that he was affected by how the team supported him after all that. 

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

The problem with timing is that the group has only worked together for a few days. They signed him 11 days before the game, and 4 or 5 of those days were tied up with covid protocols. 

So after rehabbing all offseason, Gostowski didn't get so much as a single snap in the offseason with this group to work on timing. That is affecting things, but it could also be that Gostowski's leg is an issue at his age. 

I'm not sure which is the bigger culprit at this point, but I'm guessing both. I expect him to marginally improve and for them to stick with him for the time being at least. 

I'm not worried about his leg - it seems fine.  It seemed to be the timing to me on the misses and Brinkley looked to be causing that.  More practice should help the unit.

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

After 2 becomes a different situation. 

Depends on what the issue is.  Seemed pretty clear to me the timing was off last night for the entire unit, which makes sense given the limited amount of practice time they had together.

Just now, abenjami said:

Depends on what the issue is.  Seemed pretty clear to me the timing was off last night for the entire unit, which makes sense given the limited amount of practice time they had together.

The issue is missing 3 kicks and an XP. He does anything similar on Sunday and you have to move on. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-k-gostkowski-hits-game-winner-after-missing-career-high-four-kicks

Gostkowski mentioned taking his shoe off at one point, trying to figure out was going wrong on this bad night.

"When I've been practicing in the summer, I practiced without socks all summer and then I started putting 'em on," Gostkoswki said. "I mean, I would've taken my pants off to make that last kick, to try something different. I wasn't doing very well, I had to switch something up, maybe just for mental sake. You know, just kind of a weird quirk I guess."

10 hours ago, abenjami said:

Yes they will.  The change will be spending some time working on the kicking game (with the same kicker).

The lemmings will blame Gots 100% but there were some issues with snaps and timing all night.

Exactly. SG had very little practice time with Kern and Brinkley. His leg strength looked fine which was good to see after having the offseason surgery. Getting the game winner was pretty huge to regain his confidence. 

Edited by freakingeek