Maker84

Why is Baker Mayfield talked about so much?

I understand he won the Heisman but that was in college and has nothing to do with the NFL. His former teammate and current Arizona Cardinals QB Kyler Murray is talked about half as much with better NFL stats and also winning the heisman. Marcus Mariota also won the heisman but he was a huge bust in the NFL, regardless he was probably spoken about a 1/5 of what Baker is discussed about. 

So what's up with the obsession? 

One of my friends who is a Brown's fan was wondering why their offense was limited. I said with Baker Mayfield it's always gonna be limited. One person disputed it. So I broke it down.

Lol I had to tell some friends/Brown's fans friends that Bakers game just isn't big time. One told me well Baker has had 2-3 coaches and coordinators. I said yeah, true I sympathize as Mariota went through the same thing. But I said Mariota was still winning football games and took us to the playoffs with way less talent around him, especially early in his career than Mayfield; especially at wideout. 

End of discussion...

Looking at his 2018 game logs, there were several good games along with some stinkers.  And he's been living off that since (at least ON the field).  Sound familiar?

Baker Mayfield is bad.

But he or Darnold are the kinds of guys we can pick up off the scrap heap to be backups behind Tannehill in a year or two and see if we can rehab them. Just don't pay them $17.6 million!

7 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Remember all the grown ass men in here so taken aback by his alpha ways? LMFAO. No wonder the frat boy dude-bro shit is still seen as cool.

Baker did have a pretty good moxie to him, and he made some awfully impressive throws as a rook. Then two things happened:he started overdoing the alpha attitude stuff to the point where it became annoying. He was trying too hard. And most importantly, he started playing bad.  At the end of the day you have to be able to play.

Im actually surprised because he really was such a naturally great thrower in college & he looked just as good as a rookie. Im not sure what’s going on with him.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, Titans279 said:

Baker Mayfield is bad.

But he or Darnold are the kinds of guys we can pick up off the scrap heap to be backups behind Tannehill in a year or two and see if we can rehab them. Just don't pay them $17.6 million!

Our game against them last year epitomizes what Mayfield has been. He can make some impressive throws but his accuracy is bad. Inconsistent decision making, bad feet, etc. He tries to scramble around but he's really not that athletic.

I'll admit I drank the koolaid some on him after his rookie year, but he's starting to look like a bust. I wouldn't be surprised if they move on from him after this season. The GM that drafted him isn't there anymore. They have Keenum who was Stefanski's QB in MIN. If he continues to struggle, that seat's going to get red hot.