On 9/13/2020 at 8:25 PM, Rogue said:

Agreed, but can they regulate it?  I mean, not by nature of law but the entities themselves?  They cannot regulate an AI algorithm.  It's learning faster than the creators can react.  

I've been a proponent of AI until now.  Terminator was fun, but science fiction.  This isn't fiction.  This is happening, and in a way I don't think anyone figured...even those that designed it.  

Investors and social media platforms probably figure it a great success....outside the individuals in this documentary that claim there are adverse effects. 

I'm not sure AI can be designed to consider ethics and morals.  At least not at this time.  

That and monetization of the model is the central point of the documentary.  

Much of the documentary wasn't surprising to me, but to the depth they covered was.  

My initial response is to regulate AI, if that's even regulatable.  Without that, I have no clue. 

Even ignoring the difficulty of congress (a bunch of old people who often don't even use computers) trying to regulate this I doubt there's much interest.

Trump and the GOP are more concerned about "anti-conservative bias" on the platforms than anything. Peter Thiel is a huge Trump guy.

Kamala Harris is tight with Silicon Valley.

Just not sure either party is eager to take them on.

11 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Amazon isn’t really social media, but they are a serious under the table ad network and webhost tracking all your info.

Regarding Amazon ads:

Amazon’s ad system is probably the least complex and least intrusive/exploitative ad system out there today among Google/FB-Insta/Microsoft/LinkedIn and others. It’s basically what Google Ads was 15 years ago.

It’s almost purely keyword match type based and only has 2 main ways to target people:

-sponsored display - these ads are why you see Amazon’s FB ads for products you have clicked on Amazon.

-dynamic bidding - they adjust an advertisers bid to allow their product to show higher or lower in search results depending on Amazon determining just how likely the customer is to buy.

However, Amazon’s ad system is by far the darkest and most mysterious of them all. All information on it has to be derived from third parties guessing how it works essentially. Google, for example, is at least moderately up front about their processes.

Just got through watching this. It isn’t really anything earth shattering I didn’t already know, but it was powerful to see so many high level people and creators say it so directly. 

When truth becomes wholly subjective you’re not in a good place as a society. 

On 9/20/2020 at 1:05 AM, Titans279 said:

Even ignoring the difficulty of congress (a bunch of old people who often don't even use computers) trying to regulate this I doubt there's much interest.

Trump and the GOP are more concerned about "anti-conservative bias" on the platforms than anything. Peter Thiel is a huge Trump guy.

Kamala Harris is tight with Silicon Valley.

Just not sure either party is eager to take them on.

This. You're talking about people who have been in public life for years with staffs handling all their daily needs where a lot of the information profiles are generated; they don't have a clue because they don't live online lives.

On 9/12/2020 at 10:39 PM, Rogue said:

A Netflix documentary.  I think everyone should watch it.  

It's information we already know, just explained in an insider way.  

The most fascinating, and scary part, is its all AI driven.  To the point the social media platforms, and beyond, don't truly understand it themselves.  

Sadly, I'm not sure this exposure makes a difference, as everyone will deny they are being manipulated by their own thoughts and beliefs.  

Everyone watch, and just take pause for a minute to reflect.  

Its information that has known for nearly a decade now

One of the pillars of western society is that individuals are capable of determining their path with competence, however, humans are mainly a collection of heuristics and drives with a dab of conscious awareness on top. We really have no defense against these engines and often will never know we are being manipulated.