The Social Dilemma

Rogue

19 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Agreed, but can they regulate it?  I mean, not by nature of law but the entities themselves?  They cannot regulate an AI algorithm.  It's learning faster than the creators can react.  

I've been a proponent of AI until now.  Terminator was fun, but science fiction.  This isn't fiction.  This is happening, and in a way I don't think anyone figured...even those that designed it.  

Investors and social media platforms probably figure it a great success....outside the individuals in this documentary that claim there are adverse effects. 

I'm not sure AI can be designed to consider ethics and morals.  At least not at this time.  

That and monetization of the model is the central point of the documentary.  

Much of the documentary wasn't surprising to me, but to the depth they covered was.  

My initial response is to regulate AI, if that's even regulatable.  Without that, I have no clue. 

I don’t know how but one can only hope its possible to regulate it somewhat. To think otherwise leads to a very dark path.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Netflix documentary.  I think everyone should watch it.     It's information we already know, just explained in an insider way.     The most fascinating, and scary part, is its a

I absolutely agree with your premise.        The problem is that extremists rarely think of themselves as such.   In their eyes, their own views are grounded and perfectly reasonable;  the e

I'm somewhat familiar with this tech, and yes it can be regulated.  These are just algorithms that predict whether something is true or false.  They can be "tuned" or fed more data to alter the predic

11 minutes ago, PetroleroTitanico said:

I don’t know how but one can only hope its possible to regulate it somewhat. To think otherwise leads to a very dark path.

I agree, and my personal thoughts are to ban AI from public commercial use.  It has no ethics, no morals.  Purely designed, in this instance, to maximize profits.  Which apparently has detrimental effects to society.  

Perhaps in the future when we can better control it, yeah.  But at this moment, it seems a detriment to society for profits.  

I'm open to alternative regulations, but I take deep issue with AI being used in this fashion, especially when it's learning faster than its creators.  

I have no problem with AI being used and interpreted by humans, but as a basis to a profit model, I take issue. 

58 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Agreed, but can they regulate it?  I mean, not by nature of law but the entities themselves?  They cannot regulate an AI algorithm.  It's learning faster than the creators can react.  

I'm somewhat familiar with this tech, and yes it can be regulated.  These are just algorithms that predict whether something is true or false.  They can be "tuned" or fed more data to alter the prediction.  The ppl who created them are still in control.

2 hours ago, Rogue said:

I only use FB for my hobbies, so I largely only get hobby related stuff.  Which is fine, but I'll admit I have a deep desire to return to see what's going on in my little hobby world. 

Yep...getting you hooked is part of the business plan.  This is not new for corporate America.  Before AI and social media it was tobacco and sugar.  Corporations have never cared about society, only the dollar. 

People should consider it their responsibility not to be brainwashed by corporations but unfortunately most people aren't taught this.

1 hour ago, VaTitan said:

I'm somewhat familiar with this tech, and yes it can be regulated.  These are just algorithms that predict whether something is true or false.  They can be "tuned" or fed more data to alter the prediction.  The ppl who created them are still in control.

This is the key. Facebook (or anyone else) could alter their algorithms to maximize truth and less division or fake news.

But Facebook’s corporate goal isn’t to publish the truth. It’s to maximize profit and “daily active users”. 

Yes, they can be regulated. All it takes is the political will and someone with enough authority to force the issue. 

8 hours ago, VaTitan said:

Its all about training your model. The issue is that doing so will not maximize profit which is the prime directive for any non government entity.

32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Its all about training your model. The issue is that doing so will not maximize profit which is the prime directive for any non government entity.

Agree. Whether it's algorithms, predictive analysis, AI or machine learning, the data scientists have some control. For example, here is an article on how Facebook uses machine learning.

I think #5 News Feed is where they should start.

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/5-mind-blowing-ways-facebook-uses-machine-learning/

https://www.codingninjas.com/blog/2020/09/08/mind-blowing-ways-facebook-uses-machine-learning/

42 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Bingo....that's always the trade-off with these models.  Accuracy vs Volume (i.e. $$).  Facebook is a public company so we which side they will be on.  

14 hours ago, VaTitan said:

I'm going by what one of the said in the documentary.  Something to the effect that's now so complex even the guys that created it doesn't quite know what's going on.  I'm not saying it's Sky Net, just that extremely complex what it's doing.  

I think the purpose of the documentary was to get awareness out there and demand regulations.  

I posted Go Titans on FB last night.  A few friends responded, then this guy posted a meme.  

This one

I responded with the politifact article and also told him he should watch "the Social Dilemma"  

He responded fact checkers were far left democrats and bullshit and he would never watch sick propaganda .  The pride he took in how closed his mind is was astounding.  

1 hour ago, 9 Nines said:

If done well any documentary can lead you to a position - they are one sided debates. 

What I mean:  most documentaries pump-you-up on its point of view.  This is one is to the extreme on that.  I think few are caught up as much as victims as that documentary makes out and the ones that are would likely be addicts or extreme followers to something else if social media did not exist. 

Also, as internet usage moved mainstream, outlets for it became cluttered.   In the early days, as far as public usage, of the internet, it was mostly native computer users using it.  Those user tended to be logical people and internet tools were organized logically - menus that started broad then more focused detail levels where a user actively searched and used what the user wanted.  As the mainstream people got involved, those tools got pushed away.  That crowd wanted a passive approach so it did not value those tools. As a result, many internet platforms became transition from television, where you watch what the television programming presents to you  - the masses wanted stuff directed at them; they are too lazy or uncreative to search for stuff specifically. 

And here we are - this is how it had to because this is who we are and as in the innovated past, we will adapt. 

Pretty interesting. Nothing that really shocked me but I guess I kind of already knew/assumed most of it. It puts the problem of information bubbles into clear focus and does a great job explaining there is really no other future except extremism if the status quo is retained going forward. It doesn't do a good job explaining what the urgency is though, IMO.

Maybe a few silly exaggerations as well - no, Australia is not "imploding on itself". No idea WTF that person was talking about.

While not strictly a social media company, Amazon got away with no mention (despite the data collection apparatus they have, and likely integrating and feeding into some social media data engines). They really are the ultimate blend of tech company going forward, IMO.

I'd be curious to know what people's social media consumption is here and how you feel it might be influencing you. Personally I don't use anything except Twitter, which is a almost entirely one way street (i.e. I use it as a content aggregator for tech related content, although given the climate it is harder and harder to avoid political and other non tech content). Also I couldn't help but think of Jamal and Merc when the topic came up of friends/family etc being fatally divided thanks in part to the world social media has created.

On 9/16/2020 at 12:14 PM, Rogue said:

I posted Go Titans on FB last night.  A few friends responded, then this guy posted a meme.  

This one

I responded with the politifact article and also told him he should watch "the Social Dilemma"  

He responded fact checkers were far left democrats and bullshit and he would never watch sick propaganda .  The pride he took in how closed his mind is was astounding.  

I was a bit disappointed the documentary couldn't make it the whole way without "taking sides" on this stuff that will give such people an excuse to dismiss it. By that I mean the casual discussion of climate change, the "humans over profit" focus at the end etc. These are dig whistles for inbuilt unconscious opposition for people like this so anyone of these people watching instantly forgot all the good points when that section came on.

It got so close to being unpolitical enough to make a bigger impact, but tripped at the end. The central issues describes simply can't become political or it will roll through undeterred.

1 hour ago, OzTitan said:

Pretty interesting. Nothing that really shocked me but I guess I kind of already knew/assumed most of it. It puts the problem of information bubbles into clear focus and does a great job explaining there is really no other future except extremism if the status quo is retained going forward. It doesn't do a good job explaining what the urgency is though, IMO.

Maybe a few silly exaggerations as well - no, Australia is not "imploding on itself". No idea WTF that person was talking about.

While not strictly a social media company, Amazon got away with no mention (despite the data collection apparatus they have, and likely integrating and feeding into some social media data engines). They really are the ultimate blend of tech company going forward, IMO.

I'd be curious to know what people's social media consumption is here and how you feel it might be influencing you. Personally I don't use anything except Twitter, which is a almost entirely one way street (i.e. I use it as a content aggregator for tech related content, although given the climate it is harder and harder to avoid political and other non tech content). Also I couldn't help but think of Jamal and Merc when the topic came up of friends/family etc being fatally divided thanks in part to the world social media has created.

I don’t use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any of the big name social media sites. They are a lot of garbage. The only one I do use is Reddit.

Amazon isn’t really social media, but they are a serious under the table ad network and webhost tracking all your info.