The Social Dilemma

Rogue

A Netflix documentary.  I think everyone should watch it.  

It's information we already know, just explained in an insider way.  

The most fascinating, and scary part, is its all AI driven.  To the point the social media platforms, and beyond, don't truly understand it themselves.  

Sadly, I'm not sure this exposure makes a difference, as everyone will deny they are being manipulated by their own thoughts and beliefs.  

Everyone watch, and just take pause for a minute to reflect.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Netflix documentary.  I think everyone should watch it.     It's information we already know, just explained in an insider way.     The most fascinating, and scary part, is its a

I absolutely agree with your premise.        The problem is that extremists rarely think of themselves as such.   In their eyes, their own views are grounded and perfectly reasonable;  the e

I'm somewhat familiar with this tech, and yes it can be regulated.  These are just algorithms that predict whether something is true or false.  They can be "tuned" or fed more data to alter the predic

34 minutes ago, abenjami said:

I don't have any social media platforms. 

Will I see it differently?

Well, you're online.  It affects you.  It's not "social media" dependant, but they have the greatest influence.  

You've gotta be tech savvy to avoid this influence. 

Like I said, no one will really admit they are being influenced.  It might be too late.  

3 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Well, you're online.  It affects you.  It's not "social media" dependant, but they have the greatest influence.  

You've gotta be tech savvy to avoid this influence. 

Like I said, no one will really admit they are being influenced.  It might be too late.  

I worked for Google for three years. Obama’s interview with Letterman was exactly right. The internet is working in a manner that sends people right down whatever rabbit hole they want to go. Cross checking sources is paramount. 

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I worked for Google for three years. Obama’s interview with Letterman was exactly right. The internet is working in a manner that sends people right down whatever rabbit hole they want to go. Cross checking sources is paramount. 

The documentary mentions rabbit holes.  

The thing is, it's not nefarious, it's just a consequence of AI algorithms that steer people to their likes and beliefs based on a model of advertising and generating profits.  

The AI portion is what is so fascinsting.  It has no morals.  It doesn't consider consequences.  In truth, it really only exposes the worst in humanity.  It's designed to generate profit, yet it  ultimately distorts reality based on people's own motivations and beliefs.  

I believe it explains a lot of what we are seeing.  

1 hour ago, HardenBlows said:

But let me guess. Most of those manipulated come from one side of the isle more than the other, correct?

It's really not complicated. The fight is against the extremists. Right, left, it doesn't matter. The extremists are the issue. Ppl who see everything as either black or white and are unable to ever see any grey. Any realist knows that with most topics/issues, there is usually more grey than there is black and/or white. 

I'm sure you won't take my word for it, but its happening here. The extremists don't care to wanna hear other perspectives. So they censor those they don't like. Therefore creating an environment that feeds into their extremism. 

It doesn't appear you watched it. 

2 hours ago, HardenBlows said:

But let me guess. Most of those manipulated come from one side of the isle more than the other, correct?

It's really not complicated. The fight is against the extremists. Right, left, it doesn't matter. The extremists are the issue. Ppl who see everything as either black or white and are unable to ever see any grey. Any realist knows that with most topics/issues, there is usually more grey than there is black and/or white. 

I'm sure you won't take my word for it, but its happening here. The extremists don't care to wanna hear other perspectives. So they censor those they don't like. Therefore creating an environment that feeds into their extremism. 

I absolutely agree with your premise.     

The problem is that extremists rarely think of themselves as such.   In their eyes, their own views are grounded and perfectly reasonable;  the extremists are the people  whose views and values are at odds with their own.    But they tend to be fairly rigid and uncompromising in their viewpoints,  to the point where even moderate centrist views  (i.e. gray areas) are seen as extreme by comparison.

In their world, they're the ones who are centered;   it's everyone else who are the extremists.

7 hours ago, HardenBlows said:

When you get banned from a site like this for repeated over the top racist rhetoric, you are extreme.  I hope one day you can see it Jake.  

57 minutes ago, PetroleroTitanico said:

Very interesting. Not politically biased in my opinion. Everyone should watch it

I knew the were mining our data, but had no idea how deep it went and how much a science it was.  Addiction is the business model.  

The most troubling thing is using AI for algorithms.  It's beyond what they even understand now and only creates echo chambers for your interests.  

I only use FB for my hobbies, so I largely only get hobby related stuff.  Which is fine, but I'll admit I have a deep desire to return to see what's going on in my little hobby world. 

But for those there seeking answers to serious issues, political or otherwise.....not good.  You'll have an echo chamber right off the bat.  

But yeah, everyone should watch.  This is something new for society and culture, and we should start looking at regulation.  

Edited by Rogue

Yeah, I was just commenting that the way they exemplify how the algos work across the board is deeper than what I imagined. You sort of have a feeling how these media are constantly manipulating and steering you towards certain content, but the rate at which they are getting better and better at it is exponential. 

What they mention about Myanmar is eye opening for anyone who hasn’t paid attention to the problem posed by FB being used as pretty much the only source for “news”. I personally know people who pretty much only use FB on their phones to know what’s going on in the world. They have little to no references in just a browser based news experience from multiple sources to contrast opposing sources and form a critical viewpoint of their own. 

I’ve been of the opinion for some time that regulation is desperately needed, but I don’t believe it will come from politicians. Both sides have benefitted from this model and  cycles have them in constant election mode.  It would take a sizable proportion of the population to wake the fuck up, regulate themselves how much they consume this stuff and demand their representatives to make these platforms responsible for their content and enact meaningful changes to margninalize the more insidious contents

5 minutes ago, PetroleroTitanico said:

Yeah, I was just commenting that the way they exemplify how the algos work across the board is deeper than what I imagined. You sort of have a feeling how these media are constantly manipulating and steering you towards certain content, but the rate at which they are getting better and better at it is exponential. 

What they mention about Myanmar is eye opening for anyone who hasn’t paid attention to the problem posed by FB being used as pretty much the only source for “news”. I personally know people who pretty much only use FB on their phones to know what’s going on in the world. They have little to no references in just a browser based news experience from multiple sources to contrast opposing sources and form a critical viewpoint of their own. 

I’ve been of the opinion for some time that regulation is desperately needed, but I don’t believe it will come from politicians. Both sides have benefitted from this model and  cycles have them in constant election mode.  It would take a sizable proportion of the population to wake the fuck up, regulate themselves how much they consume this stuff and demand their representatives to make these platforms responsible for their content and enact meaningful changes to margninalize the more insidious contents

Agreed, but can they regulate it?  I mean, not by nature of law but the entities themselves?  They cannot regulate an AI algorithm.  It's learning faster than the creators can react.  

I've been a proponent of AI until now.  Terminator was fun, but science fiction.  This isn't fiction.  This is happening, and in a way I don't think anyone figured...even those that designed it.  

Investors and social media platforms probably figure it a great success....outside the individuals in this documentary that claim there are adverse effects. 

I'm not sure AI can be designed to consider ethics and morals.  At least not at this time.  

That and monetization of the model is the central point of the documentary.  

Much of the documentary wasn't surprising to me, but to the depth they covered was.  

My initial response is to regulate AI, if that's even regulatable.  Without that, I have no clue.