OILERMAN

Titans defensive improvement key to contending

Not going to be a popular opinion, but for me, the key to the season is Tannehill not regressing into the turnover machine that he was in Miami.

Scott points out all the talent on the Titan defense. I imagine it will be top 5 in the NFL.

Saying that I am concerned at RT is an overstatement. He simply needs to prove that the consistent play he demonstrated throughout last season is repeatable. 

And it would be really nice if we stay injury free on the offensive line, particularly at T.

I think the key is how much pressure the front four can apply.  This will make 55 and 54 deadly and will increase turnovers for the secondary.  The acid test will be when they face a good QB and then we will know.  I expect the D to improve over the first 6 weeks.  The first test I believe will be Minnesota.  Their OL is not that good but Cousins gets rid of the ball well.  His WR are no longer elite so the front four will be the key to that game.  Injuries to any of the big four upfront will be a problem.  

Tanney's contract right now looks awfully reasonable considering the contracts that just got handed out for QB's.  Dallas is going to rue the day they did not pay Dak.   

3 minutes ago, patsplat said:

To @OILERMAN's original point - Titans don't beat the Chiefs by getting in a shootout with Mahomes.  The defense has to bring him down to earth.

I don’t know if that’s possible at this point with KC’s talent. We beat them in Nashville by matching them shot for shot then blocking a FG. 

Any offense becomes beatable if you can rush 4 and consistently get to the QB.

I'm with you @oldschool. We've been bitching about the lack of investment in the defense for years, especially the DL. In basically two years, we've added multiple premier edge players and a dominant, 1st round DT. We've never had talent like this on the DL (well, not in a long time).

I'll add Landry to the mix @OILERMAN. He played virtually every snap and was exhausted last year. If he's fresh and 1-on-1 all year, he's going to dominate. 

Edited by cenj

8 minutes ago, japan said:

I don’t know if that’s possible at this point with KC’s talent. We beat them in Nashville by matching them shot for shot then blocking a FG. 

Honestly Pees likely has the best approach to keeping the Chiefs offense down just enough to give an offense a chance to out duel the Chiefs. The key to defense in today's NFL are stops in the redzone and 3rd down efficiency. Yards don't mean shit. 

As long as the Derrick Henry/ Ryan Tannehill combo continues to produce efficient drives, this defense has all the pieces to be really really good.  They have enough playmakers that they should be able to play very aggressive, knowing that if they give up a big play the offense is good enough to bail them out.  

What I really love about this team is all the different ways they can hurt you on both sides of the ball.  Sit back in coverage and Derrick Henry will run it down your throats for four quarters.  Crowd the line and PA will be there all day and RT has proven he can take advantage of 1 on 1 matchups in the secondary.  Need a 3rd down and Hump is right there.  Play two deep and Smith owns the seam.  Crowd the edges and they can run it inside with power.  Clog up the middle and they can get to the edge with speed.  

On defense you got guys who can cover and make plays on the ball at all three levels.  You have LBs who can cover, they  can hit, and they get to the edge.  Up front you have power to stop the run and speed to get to the passer.  

On ST's you have some real playmakers too.  

This is just a really solid roster at ever level with a bunch of dudes who are very good at the roles they are being asked to play.  I'm excited to see how it all plays out on the field but on paper, this is a really really good football team.  

11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Honestly Pees likely has the best approach to keeping the Chiefs offense down just enough to give an offense a chance to out duel the Chiefs. The key to defense in today's NFL are stops in the redzone and 3rd down efficiency. Yards don't mean shit. 

Exactly it's about slowing the train down enough that Tannehill can keep up.  That's how you beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

We had a bunch of young guys on defense last year who were peaking during the playoffs. The question is whether that’s what we can expect to see this year and in the future or were they just temporarily in the zone?

There is no doubt we have reason to expect big things from this D. We just have to see if they can consistently meet those expectations.