Speaking of college, somewhere along the way we got this idea that everyone needs to go to college-very bad idea.  We need more trade school applicants for plumbers, electricians, HVAC techs, etc.  These folks do very, very well for themselves.  Not everyone should be a candidate for traditional college and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  

Unless you're in a specific professional school, college trains you to be a more well rounded person, but that's about it.  I have a BS and even graduated from a professional school, but even then, when I got out I learned more in the first two weeks of the job than I did in 4 years of college and I had pretty much straight A's.

56 minutes ago, smokeater said:

Speaking of college, somewhere along the way we got this idea that everyone needs to go to college-very bad idea.  We need more trade school applicants for plumbers, electricians, HVAC techs, etc.  These folks do very, very well for themselves.  Not everyone should be a candidate for traditional college and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  

Unless you're in a specific professional school, college trains you to be a more well rounded person, but that's about it.  I have a BS and even graduated from a professional school, but even then, when I got out I learned more in the first two weeks of the job than I did in 4 years of college and I had pretty much straight A's.

I agree 100%. But As a black man I can only speak on black women & Crazy thing is alot of black women wont date a man that's a blue collar worker, despite having a solid career and good source of income. Many see them as low quality men. My wife's cousin who is a welder was dating this chick and she demanded he get a college diploma or they werent ever getting married. Mind you she is a teacher and he makes more money than her. Needless to say he kicked her to the curb lol. 

But trade school jobs are actually more secure jobs and often pay better. I have a few cousins who are Welders and make great money and never been laid off.      

No matter what happens welders, electricians & HVAC will always be in demand. 

1 hour ago, Makaveli said:

I agree 100%. But As a black man I can only speak on black women & Crazy thing is alot of black women wont date a man that's a blue collar worker, despite having a solid career and good source of income. Many see them as low quality men. My wife's cousin who is a welder was dating this chick and she demanded he get a college diploma or they werent ever getting married. Mind you she is a teacher and he makes more money than her. Needless to say he kicked her to the curb lol. 

But trade school jobs are actually more secure jobs and often pay better. I have a few cousins who are Welders and make great money and never been laid off.      

No matter what happens welders, electricians & HVAC will always be in demand. 

Well, pussy is definitely, for the most part, undefeated.  Having said that, a woman that won't date a blue collar worker should be avoided like the plague.  I fully understand that is difficult to do though when she's hot as a plasma cutter and your collar's not the only thing that's blue. 

Check out other cultures.  Many of them (China, for example) have many generations in one household.  Some children that move out take in older parents, too.  Everyone has their own story.  

11 hours ago, smokeater said:

The guy that installed my garage door opener last year says he clears 100k/yr. He said he cannot find competent people to hire that can both show up on time and be sober.

The trades are much maligned and my highschool got rid of shop class after 1995, which pissed me off as I would have loved to get some wrenching experience in the 1996 class...

I work in manufacturing and the operators/mechanics can easily make > 100k/yr with OT. Hell, some of the operators on my line back in 2006 were making 2x what I was as a ChemEngr with 5 years of experience.

IMHO for many people going to college just results in a large pile of debt and delayed earnings. It is often a financial train wreck compared to learning a trade after high school and then begin earning a solid income at ~19.

Edited by ChemEngr79

I always got on to the older guys at the post office for criticizing the younger hires but I can't argue anymore. 

The 20 somethings they hire these days are just a whole different breed. Lazy entitled idiots. 

10 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I always got on to the older guys at the post office for criticizing the younger hires but I can't argue anymore. 

The 20 somethings they hire these days are just a whole different breed. Lazy entitled idiots. 

Yup, these dudes I use to supervise use to complain non stop. Even when I gave them plenty of breaks and would get them Snickers and powerades and sometimes breakfast. They were just ungrateful. I stopped doing stuff for them. 

I always had to look for them after lunch break and wake them up. Finally one day I didn't look for them and started working. I didn't snitch on them, however A supervisor came around and asked where my crew was, I told him I was tired of looking for them everyday and they are grown men and need to take responsibility for themselves. 

Yet they felt they were entitled to get paid more money lol. Imo some stuff comes back to parenting. My dad had me working when I was 12. And been working since. He would leave me to take care of business, but I always made sure the work was being done. He never told me, but my mom told me he told her it's nice knowing he can leave me and the work is getting done. 

I would leave them fellas and they would be sitting around or be off playing basketball LOL. I'd tell them I was more mature at 12 than they are at 17 & 18. 

One big difference... I was the oldest of 5.  My son is an only child.  Nothing teaches hustle like knowing there's not enough for everyone to get seconds at dinner.

Congrats to them....the generation before me (I'm 40) are the ones who really screwed everything up....going into debt, getting fat and eating fast food their whole life.  Props to these young ppl who know they are inheriting a shot show....hopefully they use the time with their parents to stack money....if they can find a job at all.

1 hour ago, VaTitan said:

Congrats to them....the generation before me (I'm 40) are the ones who really screwed everything up....going into debt, getting fat and eating fast food their whole life.  Props to these young ppl who know they are inheriting a shot show....hopefully they use the time with their parents to stack money....if they can find a job at all.

Nah man, Gen Xers are cool. Y'all made my childhood fun. It's the baby boomers who messed everything up.