OilerTitanHybrid

Game Pass NFL Film Session: The Commander breaks it down.

Good stuff.  Two takeaways I had were:

1 - Tannehill telling A. Smith to give a different play that lead to the deep bomb

2 - C. Davis on the other two plays had option routes that lead to Tannehill to look at his other options first since he knew where they would be.

Edited by CreepingDeath

2 hours ago, BudAdams said:

It's so refreshing to have a smart QB and one who actually TELLS the coaches what plays he likes.  Tannehill is going to prove a lot of the pundits wrong this year IMO

I think his biggest issue is and has been the injury bug. Let’s hope he’s knocked that off his back. 

6 minutes ago, japan said:

I think his biggest issue is and has been the injury bug. Let’s hope he’s knocked that off his back. 

On the field he holds the ball too long.  If you’re looking for his biggest weakness.

10 minutes ago, scine09 said:

On the field he holds the ball too long.  If you’re looking for his biggest weakness.

This is true but its because he wants to give his guys a chance to get open and make a play. Its not because he's late processing the field. I can live with the former since it leads to big plays but Tannehill has to be smarter about protecting himself long term. 

8 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is true but its because he wants to give his guys a chance to get open and make a play. Its not because he's late processing the field. I can live with the former since it leads to big plays but Tannehill has to be smarter about protecting himself long term. 

I don’t think he’s alone as many QBs, some highly successful, have the same issue.   But I do wish he’d release the ball sooner.

21 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Good point.  If he gets sacked, then people say he's holding the ball too long.  That usually means the QB can't read the field and execute.  In Tannehill's case, he knows what's happening.  Still, sometimes he pays with a sack that you just have to live with.

That's what makes Mahomie so good someitmes.  His arm is strong enough that he can just keep dropping back as far as he needs to, while scanning the field for the open guy.  Then, he cuts loose.  Avoids lots of potential sacks while doing that and makes lots of plays that may not be there for other QBs.  

Tanney did a mini version of this in the video, throwing to Firk, while down in the red zone.