College Football on the Brink (BIG 10, PAC 12, MAC, MWC, UCONN, ODU, UMASS, FCS Fall Season Cancelled/Postponed to Spring)

titanskick8851

A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

This could be problematic for the NFL as well.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If y'all had just worn masks we would have college football.   The 2021 draft is going to be a complete crapshoot

I'm a Vandy fan. Might as well cancel college football forever...

It's a hoax. Only 5 people have it and soon down to 1. It will just disappear one day. The church pews should be filled on Easter. It's will be gone by Memorial day. The summe

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ctm said:

A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

This could be problematic for the NFL as well.

17 minutes ago, rns90 said:

What is going on here?  You have 2 conferences postponing fall sports.  And another two that says we'll try to play football.

I think the Big10 grossly misjudged the reaction from other conferences/schools when they first floated that their preference was to cancel the CFB season, get the feeling that they thought everyone else would just fall into line behind them and everyone would just agree to cancel the season.

Now everything is just a huge mess.

7 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Who cares?  College Football sucks.  The majority of conferences play a horrible brand of football without any defense and have the asinine OT rules....

I'm kinda yes and no on whether or not college football sucks, but I am definitely not somebody who gags for Saturday afternoon football. If UT is doing well (which is never, really) I'll follow along loosely. A few years ago when Invisible Eyebrows was leading the Vols to comeback after comeback that was kinda neat and I followed that, but that was like a mirage.

Any rooting for UT unfortunately forces contact with UT fans, people who were born on 1st base yet always think they're supposed to be waved into home like they were born on 3rd. And yeah, college can shove their OT non-sense up their amateur assholes.

But the bottomline is college is where the Titans and the rest of the 31 NFL teams get their players. College may not officially be the farm system of the NFL, but in every other way that counts it really is. If there is no college football in 2020 it's going to make it extremely difficult for the next NFL draft.

5 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

But the bottomline is college is where the Titans and the rest of the 31 NFL teams get their players. College may not officially be the farm system of the NFL, but in every other way that counts it really is. If there is no college football in 2020 it's going to make it extremely difficult for the next NFL draft.

So?  There are plenty of players available. The league will just have to acquire more vets. Quality of play might go up when teams aren’t relying so much on cheap labor. 

4 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I'm kinda yes and no on whether or not college football sucks, but I am definitely not somebody who gags for Saturday afternoon football. If UT is doing well (which is never, really) I'll follow along loosely. A few years ago when Invisible Eyebrows was leading the Vols to comeback after comeback that was kinda neat and I followed that, but that was like a mirage.

Any rooting for UT unfortunately forces contact with UT fans, people who were born on 1st base yet always think they're supposed to be waved into home like they were born on 3rd. And yeah, college can shove their OT non-sense up their amateur assholes.

Fandom wise, I just can't stand the all offense/no defense and imbalance between the 10 good teams and everyone else.  The NFL inherently is more competitive.

They'd find a way to scout players.  The other sports all draft players that are of HS age and have a minor league system.  There's no reason the NFL could not do so for players that need development or align with the XFL to be a league for the 18-21 year olds. 

Odds are this is a one year blip but regardless, it's laughable to see the entity be so disorganized.  Some conferences out, some in, limited games.  Whoever does play and win is not a real champion.

22 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Fandom wise, I just can't stand the all offense/no defense and imbalance between the 10 good teams and everyone else.  The NFL inherently is more competitive.

I'd add that the games are kind of unwatchable from a time standpoint.  I have no idea when this happened but the college games in general are a chore to get through.  The NFL games are pretty much 3 hour affair and is easy to watch.

College?  Sometimes a regular 60 minute game takes 4 hours.  Fuck that shit.  Somehow the college games seem to have more commercial breaks than the NFL games.

Edited by rns90

42 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

I'm a Vandy fan. Might as well cancel college football forever...

What a mess in the space of less than a week some of these CFB Conferences announced their schedule then pivoted 72hrs later to a point of wanting to cancel the season and now with the enormous player led backlash they faced are not considering further delaying the start of the season.