Details emerging about how the covid-19 player opt out option would work

To be fair to Righteous, he liked my post, which suggests that he's open to criticism.

The covid situation is fucking terrifying. As humans, we have a tendency to embrace ideas that make us feel safer. A lot of people picked those sides early in this crisis, and it's really really hard to change one's mind after that. 

That doesn't excuse ignorance, but Righteous IS doing readings. I disagree with his conclusions, for sure. I think he's dealing with confirmation bias, too. I probably am in my views, as well. Awareness of that can help, but only a little. But research suggests that these back and forth snipes aren't actually going to change anyone's mind. It just makes everyone defensive and more entrenched. Maybe changing minds isn't the goal; maybe it's venting. IDK....but these arguments aren't like to work, at least in this forum. The context isn't there for meaningful argument and change of views.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who don’t read TR very often: Denali is an idiot. 

Just for the people who don’t read the political forum: Denali said a billion plus people were going to die in the United States. 

It's almost like social distancing was helping and then we stopped doing it, and things got bad again. Weird.

Posted Images

The problem with what @righteous is posting is that pretty much ever scenario avoids the idea that you wear it to help other people, not to avoid it yourself. .. or.. that people believe it’s a cure-all when of course it isn’t. So we should avoid masks because people are too stupid to understand limitations? 

Diseases spread in different ways. If you have a mask that stops water droplets from penetrating, you stop the corona virus from penetrating the mask in an open environment. Corona travels on water particles. 

No mask stops all.. and I’m not sure anyone is saying that it does. But they do reduce the rate of transmission and it’s been proven time and time again. 

Edited by titanruss

Good lord how much smarter are Koreans than 30% of this country? 

it’s crazy that people think it’s an assault on liberty. In China and all over Asia people voluntarily wear masks all the time when they are sick, or to avoid pollution, to avoid getting sick... whatever. There’s never been a time in history where it was politicized until now and it had to come from the dumbest sect of the first world. ... not even the dumbest sect of the 2nd/3rd world is this stupid. 

6 deaths per million in South Korea. 
436 deaths per million in the USA. 

what’s the difference @Righteous

Edited by titanruss

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

The problem with what @righteous is posting is that pretty much ever scenario avoids the idea that you wear it to help other people, not to avoid it yourself. .. or.. that people believe it’s a cure-all when of course it isn’t. So we should avoid masks because people are too stupid to understand limitations? 

Diseases spread in different ways. If you have a mask that stops water droplets from penetrating, you stop the corona virus from penetrating the mask in an open environment. Corona travels on water particles. 

No mask stops all.. and I’m not sure anyone is saying that it does. But they do reduce the rate of transmission and it’s been proven time and time again. 

I think we all are dealing with confirmation bias and you are right, no one is going to change anyone's mind on a message board.   I prefer to post older articles which show exactly what was thought of masks before we needed them to ease our fears.  I get it...they make people feel safer.  But for every article about it's effectiveness there is an article about it's ineffectiveness.   No one will ever convince me that putting a bandana around your face will prevent you or others from getting sick.  We are mostly wearing cloth masks sold by anyone, with no study on the effectiveness/safety of the materials.  That doesn't work for me.  And the FDA stops way short of endorsing masks as a problem solvers.  I will get back to football.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks#s7

Look @Righteous left holding the no mask bag of dog shit.

Quit trying to count articles.  Articles can say anything.  How many articles say that Marcus Mariota is a good QB?

Instead look at what people do when bodies start stacking up.  They cut the crap and put on the masks.

2 hours ago, patsplat said:

Look @Righteous left holding the no mask bag of dog shit.

Quit trying to count articles.  Articles can say anything.  How many articles say that Marcus Mariota is a good QB?

Instead look at what people do when bodies start stacking up.  They cut the crap and put on the masks.

Exactly...how many articles did you read to say masks are needed?  Enough to make you believe it, right?  Sheeple. Well, how about real numbers.  Sweden is reporting no deaths of CV19 for the week.  Sweden didn’t lockdown the country or ever wore masks.  There were numerous articles for the rank and file, to govern with fear, about how Sweden was committing a grave act.   They didn’t listen to the BS and now their economy is thriving.

And Finland, Sudan, Somalia, Greenland, Norway, Belarus, Syria, Yemen and Australia are countries who chose not to wear face masks.  To date they have a total of 2,515....out of  147M people.  Just because people say something over and over, doesn’t make it true.  Masks don’t do shit...even if idiots say it does a million times.  

35 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Exactly...how many articles did you read to say masks are needed?  Enough to make you believe it, right?  Sheeple. Well, how about real numbers.  Sweden is reporting no deaths of CV19 for the week.  Sweden didn’t lockdown the country or ever wore masks.  There were numerous articles for the rank and file, to govern with fear, about how Sweden was committing a grave act.   They didn’t listen to the BS and now their economy is thriving.

And Finland, Sudan, Somalia, Greenland, Norway, Belarus, Syria, Yemen and Australia are countries who chose not to wear face masks.  To date they have a total of 2,515....out of  147M people.  Just because people say something over and over, doesn’t make it true.  Masks don’t do shit...even if idiots say it does a million times.  

FInland Norway Australia  and Greenland absolutely wore masks and shut shit down.  Where do you get these crazy reports? You want me to link you up for a skype call with my Nordic friends?

Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, and Belarus arent going to get accurate reporting stats.

There's so much you dont understand about culture too. People in those first 4 countries (well except maybe australia) arent total fuck heads who dont give a damn about their neighbors like 30% of people here. They have a completely different culture of personal responsibility. Look up "Logom" its a swedish term that applies to all the nordic countries.

Sweden had a higher death rate than the USA.

WHAT DONT YOU GET? Unless we all lockdown and follow the rules its a complete waste. Good god man. It wouldve been a 1-2 month thing if people like you werent so selfish.

Better yet... why dont you think these countries have higher rates if, like you said, they didnt wear masks? (which is incredibly false)

You think the virus just decided to skip over them?

Take a critical thinking course dude.

Edited by titanruss

20 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Sweden is also a welfare state that paid sick people to stay at home.  Don't need masks in that scenario but also irrelevant to US.

The fallacy here is looking for reasons why it isn't necessary to do anything about COVID.  Some countries got lucky.  The US is well past that point and needs to get realistic.

I love how people throw out stats that compare populations of people that are not statistically the same. It's really dumb and every statistician would tell you that you can't compare case mortality rates of different countries who have literally completely different sets of variables that affect the outcomes. 

So many retards with their cognitive dissonance and existing bias. 

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

FInland Norway Australia  and Greenland absolutely wore masks and shut shit down.  Where do you get these crazy reports? You want me to link you up for a skype call with my Nordic friends?

Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Yemen, and Belarus arent going to get accurate reporting stats.

There's so much you dont understand about culture too. People in those first 4 countries (well except maybe australia) arent total fuck heads who dont give a damn about their neighbors like 30% of people here. They have a completely different culture of personal responsibility. Look up "Logom" its a swedish term that applies to all the nordic countries.

Sweden had a higher death rate than the USA.

WHAT DONT YOU GET? Unless we all lockdown and follow the rules its a complete waste. Good god man. It wouldve been a 1-2 month thing if people like you werent so selfish.

Better yet... why dont you think these countries have higher rates if, like you said, they didnt wear masks? (which is incredibly false)

You think the virus just decided to skip over them?

Take a critical thinking course dude.

Making up your own facts to support an argument is silly.  Here is an article with a map of countries who masked and didn’t.  I am sure you can read a map.  Now please provide where those countries absolutely wore masks????  

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-opinion-coronavirus-global-face-mask-adoption/

Edited by Righteous

12 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Sweden is also a welfare state that paid sick people to stay at home.  Don't need masks in that scenario but also irrelevant to US.

The fallacy here is looking for reasons why it isn't necessary to do anything about COVID.  Some countries got lucky.  The US is well past that point and needs to get realistic.

Never said there shouldn’t be anything done.  Doing something for the sake of doing it, to calm peoples fears is silly.  Washing your hands and sanitizing is just as important.  Why aren’t people required to wear gloves?  As I said, the numbers are being conflated (Collins County new way of counting cases).  This thing will be over in November.

Just now, Righteous said:

Never said there shouldn’t be anything done.  Doing something for the sake of doing it, to calm peoples fears is silly.  Washing your hands and sanitizing is just as important.  Why aren’t people required to wear gloves?  As I said, the numbers are being conflated (Collins County new way of counting cases).  This thing will be over in November.

Which is easier to implement?

Everyone wears masks.

Everyone washes and sanitizes everything because sick people are walking around spreading clouds of virus because they aren't wearing masks.

57 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

I love how people throw out stats that compare populations of people that are not statistically the same. It's really dumb and every statistician would tell you that you can't compare case mortality rates of different countries who have literally completely different sets of variables that affect the outcomes. 

So many retards with their cognitive dissonance and existing bias. 

Wow! Such stupidity.  Isn’t the argument that has been given is masks work in other countries???   I am sure you will find a post showing the  low deaths in Japan because of wearing a mask.  Is that retards with cognitive dissonance and existing bias????  LOL.

Like saying masks block aerosols?  Without the different sets of variables for testing?  I am sure you wouldn’t want a cloth mask against a pepper spray attack...or tear gas.  So have you seen a study with the Covid aerosol...or do just use YOUR cognitive dissonance and existing bias?  

Oh I forgot...you use good cognitive dissonance and existing bias and others use bad cognitive dissonance and existing bias.

Edited by Righteous

24 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Making up your own facts to support an argument is silly.  Here is an article with a map of countries who masked and didn’t.  I am sure you can read a map.  Now please provide wear those countries absolutely wore masks????  

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-opinion-coronavirus-global-face-mask-adoption/

You confuse mandate for people actually doing it. Again.. you dont get the culture.