US postmaster general tells postal workers to leave mail behind if it slows down their route

Denali

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-postmaster-general-tells-postal-214737779.html

Mail carriers are being told to leave mail behind at distribution centers rather than taking late trips, extra trips, or logging overtime, according to memos first reported on by The Washington Post and subsequently reviewed by Business Insider.

"If the plants run late, they will keep the mail for the next day," one of the documents said. "If you get mail late and your carriers are gone and you cannot get the mail out without OT, it will remain for the next day."

@OILERMAN, WTF??

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A long time ago I put a piece of junk mail in an apartment box. It didn't have a name on it just an address with an apartment # on it. The next day it's on top of the mailboxes of the apartments, a lo

I miss junk mail.  Especially the junk with the self addressed, postage pre-paid envelope inside.   Put the contents of mail A into the envelope of mail B and vise versa.  Send it back out.  They're p

I’m more the reason for the demise. I’m on a record pace and have worked more OT than ever.    PM told me at the half way mark I had the most OT in the entire Dallas district which is a huge ar

Posted Images

13 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The common theory is the new PMG, Trump lackey/appointee is trying to self sabotage the PO because of mail in ballots 

The USPS is already mired in a financial crisis due to the 2006 law that requires that they prefund their health benefits obligations 50 years into the future.  The USPS was already in deep doo doo anyway.  The 2006 law was enacted way way before Trump, and way way before the new PMG took over.

Edited by Denali

8 minutes ago, Denali said:

The USPS is already mired in a financial crisis due to the 2006 law that requires that they prefund their health benefits obligations 50 years into the future.  The USPS was already in deep doo doo anyway.  The 2006 law was enacted way way before Trump, and way way before the new PMG took over.

You are correct that there is truth here in that the last republican administration was also trying to screw the Post Office, largely in efforts to force privatization.  Love to see the donation list for those who pushed that bill.  Pretty sure Fred gave money.

I love the Post Office - the whole idea of it. Probably helps that I generally interact with some terrific postal employees out here.

And when you think that good ol Ben Franklin was the 1st Postmaster General, well that's just cool.  

4 hours ago, Denali said:

This is totally irrelevant to the OP.....

When Covid first hit and the government bailed everyone out Trump refused to sign any bailout bill that included money for the USPS, obvious why 

27 minutes ago, abenjami said:

USPS is great for delivering packages but regular mail should be put to an end.  And there should be legislation to eliminate junk mail.

You’d be shocked how much ad mail is used by businesses, it must be effective. 

There is also a massive position of the US that don’t have the technology to do without mail.

Also if the dipshit wasn’t in charge the PO would have been used to get COVID supplies to every house in the US

45 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You’d be shocked how much ad mail is used by businesses, it must be effective. 

There is also a massive position of the US that don’t have the technology to do without mail.

Also if the dipshit wasn’t in charge the PO would have been used to get COVID supplies to every house in the US

I'm not saying it's ineffective.  Just that it's slow, inefficient, and outdated.

I guess if those who use the service pay for it via stamps, etc. then I don't have a problem with it.  But I would have a problem with tax dollars funding any portion of it.

I also have a problem with the amount of unsolicited mail dumped in my mailbox.

34 minutes ago, abenjami said:

But I would have a problem with tax dollars funding any portion of it.

I also have a problem with the amount of unsolicited mail dumped in my mailbox.

I'm pretty sure you'd have bigger gripes with the use of tax dollars

If you lived on my route and told me you wouldn't get any

Here's my thoughts on how the PO should transition into the next 10 years and make Oilerman's days easier...

1st)  Have it so customers would have to opt in to get their snail mail.  Many customers like abenjami (and myself too) don't like all that spam shit thrown into my mailbox.  So, we would be the ones to opt out of physical mail delivery service.  Others in rural bum fucked Egypt places that still need mail delivered, would continue to get their mail.

2nd)  Customers that opt out, can now be cleared to have mail delivered via internet mail.  I don't mean through hotmail, comcast, verizon or any other email service that throws a lot of your email into the junk folder by accident.  Customers would have their own 'internet mailbox' set up specifically by the Post Office. 

It would be the customers' responsibility to check their internet mailbox every day/week, just like they do a regular street side mailbox.  If they see some spam content that they like, (coupon discounts or whatever) they can then print it on their printer and go out and use it, or just go online and apply a code to that product.

3rd)  Doing the 1st and 2nd options above would free up the post office to cut a shitload of their work force down and save cash, so they then would be able to just concentrate on what's left of their carriers (seniority applies here, so Oilerman keeps his job) to delivering the many packages that they have every day.  The days of having to leave mail behind, or getting your mail delivered late because of the cluster fuck combo of having to deliver both mail AND packages at once, would be gone.

Blah, blah, blah, or something similar to the 3 options above!  You're welcome USPS!  Now, Get - R - Done!