Ryan Tannehill: Derrick Henry should get paid

Mythos27

Tannehill is a very smart guy and he well knows why the team isn't paying Henry and why they likely won't but this is exactly what you want/expect to see from a leader. It may seem like a little thing but things like this really bring/keep locker rooms together. No doubt Henry and others at least appreciate the  QB's willingness to have his back policy. Lucky we got this guy, money well spent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/14/ryan-tannehill-derrick-henry-should-get-paid/amp/

The trick is structuring the deal so that IF his production tails off over the next few years, we aren't saddled with a huge cap hit. He's a beast and he does deserve an appropriate payday, but the last several major RB deals have not worked out for the respective team's overall long term health. That's not a knock on Henry, because I believe he's the real deal and he will continue to work hard and be productive but it is a position that will snake bite a team. Henry is an intregal part of why Tannehill was so successful last year. When you have that great balance in the offense, it benefits both the QB and RB. We have that balance. 

The trick is actually not doing the deal, but at the same time keeping him on 1-year franchise tags and keeping him happy and motivated by signalling intent to do a deal.

Titans have played it well.

11 hours ago, freakingeek said:

The trick is structuring the deal so that IF his production tails off over the next few years, we aren't saddled with a huge cap hit. He's a beast and he does deserve an appropriate payday, but the last several major RB deals have not worked out for the respective team's overall long term health. That's not a knock on Henry, because I believe he's the real deal and he will continue to work hard and be productive but it is a position that will snake bite a team. Henry is an intregal part of why Tannehill was so successful last year. When you have that great balance in the offense, it benefits both the QB and RB. We have that balance. 

Paying RBs is surely a risky proposition. I love Henry but I've been on the fence with this one for a while. I just hope his demands are reasonable otherwise I fear what happens to our offense. We're in our window right now.

I’m sure there was a conversation between MV, JRob, and Tanne that would have Tanne come out with this. Hell, it may have been Jrobs or MV’s idea.  If not, then just good team leadership on the part of Tanne. Either way, just a little step to help keep DH happy while all the negotiating is going on. Nothing to see here. 

33 minutes ago, smokeater said:

I’m sure there was a conversation between MV, JRob, and Tanne that would have Tanne come out with this. Hell, it may have been Jrobs or MV’s idea.  If not, then just good team leadership on the part of Tanne. Either way, just a little step to help keep DH happy while all the negotiating is going on. Nothing to see here. 

I'm sure there wasn't......Tannehill isn't a blithering moron and answered the softball question the only way any current player would do.  The news would have been if he'd have said it's dumb to pay RB's big money. 

10 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think it's a good gesture and Tannehill seems like a great teammate.  

That was the whole point of me posting it. Tannehill didn't have to publicly say this and yet he did. It speaks volumes about what kind of teammate and leader he is given that there is no guarantee that the FO would approve of him being public about it. The thread is trying to highlight Tannehill, not Henry.

10 hours ago, SleepingTitan said:

Of course he's gonna say it. Henry said Tannehill over Brady. 

That's how it has to be. Those two know they're better off together and their bond looks strong.

13 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

I'd rather tannehill said tag him and save your money for my next contract.

When he turns 36 in 2024? How much will it take to re-sign him then? Nothing close to the $29.5M he's making right now, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, Oiler FANatic said:

When he turns 36 in 2024? How much will it take to re-sign him then? Nothing close to the $29.5M he's making right now, that's for sure.

Rivers just got a one year 25 million dollar deal at 37

If Tanne arm is still strong and playing at a high level and still winning games then they will want to resign him

Dude my fukin Gramps a trip,totally random shit but re watching ravens game he comes in says”I really like that Lannah hill fella”I’m like it’s Tannehill pops o yea couple mins pass Here he comes again“Dam ole Danny hill sure can swing it”I’m like it’s fukin Tannehill.Hour passes no word,here comes his young ass wife”Bob said Titans and Brian Tannenbaum is our qb”I look back like wtf she got a fifth in her hand in like Ahhh fuk it.Gramls in the kitchen still talkin shit..Carry on

Archived