I am really starting to doubt the NFL season. The biggest issue that is coming up is lack of a plan. MLB, NHL, NBA etc. all stopped and made a plan. The NFL made the mistake of continuing on as if there was no issue. This was clearly a mistake. I think they need to go on pause and really develop a plan that is best for the league. 

I don't see how the NFL prevents an outbreak if they continue on as planned. Between traveling, personal life, work environment, etc.  I am not sure how they prevent it. They need to look at all the other leagues and come up with something. 

Here is my proposal....

PHASE 1

Split the 32 teams into 4 major cities and have them share facilities. Teams can isolate in nearby hotels. between the 8 teams you can fill hotels to limit the areas of travel. Through this they can execute a proper training camp giving the players time to get ready and prepare for the season. There were a lot of physical off season programs that got scrapped due to the shut down. Cancel the 4 preseason games and instead implement shared practice times. This allows teams to implement their basic schemes and give players a live look against opponents. With 8 teams located in one city you can knock out 10 weeks if you include your 2 division matchups. Daily testing and isolating. Anyone who tests positive or breaks isolation is forced to quarantine and have positive testing protocols. 

Here is the breakdown of teams but this really could be split to make the most sense from a logistics standpoint and scheduling division games accordingly. 

LA: AFC West and NFC West

Brand new state of the art facilities in LA. Could also consider Las Vegas. 

TEXAS: AFC South and NFC South

Texas is the mecca for sports facilities. No reason one of the major cities couldn't house the teams as their home base. 

FLORIDA: AFC East and NFC East

NBA is using Orlando. If you delayed the season you could swap the NBA with NFL 

MINN: NFC North and AFC North

Minneapolis has a pretty nice downtown area. With the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves facilities all located with in a few miles it give facilities for teams to share. 

Phase 2

After the 10 week schedule you have a mandatory travel week bye. Ramp up testing during this time just in case you have players/coaches break isolation procedures. Anyone who tests positive or breaks isolation has to quarantine for min 10 days and pass some requirements of test. Or it could be whatever doctors recommend. 

All you do is force 4 of the teams in each location to travel to the next location. This allows for 4 more weeks of games and matchups. 

LA: NFC West and NFC South

Texas: AFC South and AFC West 

FLA: AFC East and AFC North 

MINN: NFC North and NFC East

This swap of divisions prevents teams from having to travel clear across the country. 

Phase 3

Same thing as phase 2 mandatory 1 week travel bye and ramp up testing. Same procedures for isolation and testing. 4 more weeks to be played. 

LA: NFC South and NFC North 

TEXAS: AFC West and AFC East 

FLORIDA: AFC North and AFC South 

MINN: NFC East and NFC West 

Regular Season Conclusion: 18 weeks of games, 2 one week byes for travel and isolation/testing. Normal qualifying playoff seedings

PLAYOFFS

Proceed as usual with seeding. Have the 2 conferences split into the cities being used. Play the normal playoff schedule in isolation cities. Losers can go home. 

LA: 7 NFC teams

FLORIDA: 7 AFC TEAMS

SUPER BOWL

Relocate the Super Bowl to one of the major cities or somewhere that has the best facilities to house the 2 teams. 

The biggest issue with this plan is having the players agree to comply with the isolating requirements. This would make the season pretty long and not being around their families or live a normal life could be hard. One thing they could do is play games throughout the week instead of Sundays only. This could shorten the weeks and in theory shorten the season. Shorter weeks to prepare and recover is the biggest downside to that. If it shaves off a month of the season they might want that. 

You can really swap any of the teams in phases 1-3. This way they could allow for the best matchups throughout the season. One thing could be to make the 10 week phase 3 and play your division at the end of the year. 

All games would be played with no fans. Media access would be limited to those who follow quarantine, isolation and testing procedures. NFL sets up some kind of all access virtual based viewing for fans. Almost like a Hard Knocks or All or Nothing type show for all teams. 

Edited by CaliTitan3518

I like the idea but don't expect anything like this to happen.  What has happened with the NBA?  Haven't they already experienced a series of problems (the least of which is that the athletes are pissed because they are cut off from their groupies)?

5 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I like the idea but don't expect anything like this to happen.  What has happened with the NBA?  Haven't they already experienced a series of problems (the least of which is that the athletes are pissed because they are cut off from their groupies)?

I am not sure they are having any serious issues. Players can piss and moan, but that doesn't mean the bubble isn't doing what its suppose to do and prevent an outbreak. I know other sports had issues of some players not wanting to play. I think that has been the only real issue. Implementing an opt out clause which allows players to not be paid their season salary and accrue a season could be something to offer.

NBA seems pretty happy with their results. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900096-why-nba-players-coaches-are-confident-the-bubble-is-working

The players won't pick up and move out of their homes and live in hotels for a several months long football season.

That's why it won't work no matter how much sense you can make out of it.

15 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

The players won't pick up and move out of their homes and live in hotels for a several months long football season.

Why? The NBA is about to do it.

17 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Idk. NBA is implementing a full on bubble. 

They could go the lesser extreme and do something like MLB. The whole point is the NFL needs to realize a business as usual is not the best approach anymore. The need to delay the season and figure out a plan that put the players at less of a risk. If they don't want to do it, I can't see how there is a normal season. 

19 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Resident groupies.

Problem solved (Mic drop).

1 hour ago, Blackjack said:

money

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

Why? The NBA is about to do it.

A full season? How many months? When do the Knicks play?

Aren't they just doing a top 22 play in then playoffs?  Huge difference. 

4 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Idk. NBA is implementing a full on bubble. 

They could go the lesser extreme and do something like MLB. 

Yeah all 310 NBA players.   And baseball is gonna be a 2 month season players live at home still when not traveling.

If the NFL comes out and says let's do a 8 games season for 2 months then MAYBE you would get the players to live in a bubble but with 1700+ players not to mention support staff etc..  good luck!

13 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Yeah all 310 NBA players.   And baseball is gonna be a 2 month season players live at home still when not traveling.

If the NFL comes out and says let's do a 8 games season for 2 months then MAYBE you would get the players to live in a bubble but with 1700+ players not to mention support staff etc..  good luck!

Good luck having a normal season as planned. 

28 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Good luck having a normal season as planned. 

Yeah no shit.  I don't think there is going to be a season at all. 

20 minutes ago, Blackjack said:

Yeah no shit.  I don't think there is going to be a season at all. 

I think this is a real possibility.