Greatest MMA Fighter

2 hours ago, klaatu- said:

I was a big Royce Gracie fan in the early 90's. Loved his style because I was a grappler and submission artist myself.

UFC has become a joke, but at least it was fun to watch back when Royce Gracie and the rest of his family were involved. Now it's just like WWE bullshit.

23 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

UFC has become a joke, but at least it was fun to watch back when Royce Gracie and the rest of his family were involved. Now it's just like WWE bullshit.

The UFC went through an interesting phase where fighters were over self promoting themselves. Everyone wanted to be the next personality collecting the big paycheck. That has definitely calmed down. The fights lately have been top notch. 

2 hours ago, klaatu- said:

I was a big Royce Gracie fan in the early 90's. Loved his style because I was a grappler and submission artist myself. Hard to compare fighters from different eras but do you think Rickson was better than Roger Gracie? 

I’d take Roger over Rickson. Far more disciplined as a fighter. Rickson was a very talented fighter but was a bit of a wild card. 

20 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Certainly not the best according to his record, but the Iceman was fun to watch.

Its really hard to compare recent fighters to past fights. The sport has evolved so much. In the early 90s you didn't see as well rounded fighters as there are now. Striking has become far more technical. 

Chuck Liddell was definitely entertaining. He was willing to take anyones best shot to throw his. He lost his ability to take a punch at the end. 

18 hours ago, klaatu- said:

I was a big Royce Gracie fan in the early 90's. Loved his style because I was a grappler and submission artist myself. Hard to compare fighters from different eras but do you think Rickson was better than Roger Gracie? 

I do. I remember back when Royce was dominating and people kept saying he had an older brother (Rickson) much better than he was.

1 hour ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Its really hard to compare recent fighters to past fights. The sport has evolved so much. In the early 90s you didn't see as well rounded fighters as there are now. Striking has become far more technical. 

Chuck Liddell was definitely entertaining. He was willing to take anyones best shot to throw his. He lost his ability to take a punch at the end. 

Him and Wanderlei.

2 hours ago, TitansFan23 said:

I do. I remember back when Royce was dominating and people kept saying he had an older brother (Rickson) much better than he was.

Royce has been pretty publicized as being the most inferior Gracie. That was why the family sent him to the UFC. They wanted people to see that this weenie looking guy could dominate people regardless of their size and skill. 

Roger is certainly the most decorated of the Gracies and is the best BJJ of all time. No one comes close to his accolades. 

15 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Royce has been pretty publicized as being the most inferior Gracie. That was why the family sent him to the UFC. They wanted people to see that this weenie looking guy could dominate people regardless of their size and skill. 

Roger is certainly the most decorated of the Gracies and is the best BJJ of all time. No one comes close to his accolades. 

I’d still take a prime Rickson in an MMA fight. Just my opinion. ??‍♂️

30 minutes ago, TitansFan23 said:

I’d still take a prime Rickson in an MMA fight. Just my opinion. ??‍♂️

Ya no argument there. I think Rickson was the best MMA Gracie. He just never got to put it on display like Royce. Roger was strictly BJJ success. 

The Gracies were great and clearly played a massive role in the evolution of MMA. I don't think their skill set would be as successful in todays MMA. We saw that with Roger's attempt. The top fighters are so well rounded now days. 

20 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Ya no argument there. I think Rickson was the best MMA Gracie. He just never got to put it on display like Royce. Roger was strictly BJJ success. 

The Gracies were great and clearly played a massive role in the evolution of MMA. I don't think their skill set would be as successful in todays MMA. We saw that with Roger's attempt. The top fighters are so well rounded now days. 

I agree. Royce found that out when he fought Matt Hughes. Although, I don’t believe he should have fought at that point. That being said, I doubt there would have been a different outcome in his prime. The sport has evolved so much since its inception.

I keep up with MMA as much as I follow the Titans.  I've watched combat sports most of my life..boxing, UFC, Pride, etc.  The Gracie's are legends, but I wouldn't list any as a top 5 fighter all time.  They should always be respected for completely changing the game.  Kazushi Sakuraba showed everyone that the Gracie style of fighting was definitely beatable.  The Gracie's hated that guy, and would send their family members to fight this dude that was a professional WWE-type wrestler, lol.  I always get a laugh when I think about how some of the best BJJ people were destroyed by this catch wrestler. 

Khabib is one of the more dominant fighters of all time.  I think Stipe Miocic is the GOAT at heavyweight (UFC).  Jon Jones, and I hate to say it, is the greatest at LHW (UFC) atm.  Welterweight is harder, but I always give Whittaker props for his wars with prime Yoel Romero.  Amanda Nunes for women's GOAT, who is followed very closely by Valentina.  Henry Cejudo, in his short career, was ridiculously great in multiple divisions.  Mighty Mouse.  The list goes on and on...And none of those is considering fighters like Fedor who held down their respective organizations. 

These fights this weekend are gonna be bangers.  The main card fights are all gonna be a great highlight to the sport...at least on paper, lol. 

Archived