Chiefs Sign Mahomes to 10 year, 503M Extension

tgo

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too bad the Colts didn’t give Luck a deal like that right before he got hurt...

Offer a 1st and 3rd next year for Jones. 

Posted Images

I want to see the structure of this deal. Some of those final years are probably paying out 70 or 80 million. No way he’ll reach that but if it’s guaranteed they might have to pay him that into his retirement. 

20 minutes ago, klaatu- said:

What pray tell is a guarantee mechanism. Option years?

Sounds like it. Or salaries that guarantee on a certain date but the team could cut him first.

Edited by Starkiller

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Lol... I bet this turns out bad.

Injury, Andy Reid heart attack (no way he makes it 12 more years), cap going down, cap staying stagnant, inability to bring in talent, etc..

I'm sure there's some protections but that production level will tank without Reid around.

Yeah, this is what I was just about to post.  Forget an injury to Mahomes, Reid won't make it half way through the deal.

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Holy crap. Why sign contract that EVERYBODY knows will NEVER get 100% paid out?  I guess it's for negotiating rights some time in the next 5-6 years when the contract becomes a detriment to making the cap work. Apparently KC is counting on a few more SB rings to help pay for that deal.

Mahomes is a generational talent.  He's Tiger Woodsish.  Tiger was touted to be the first player to earn a billion dollars, but golf/golfers made huge money off Tiger.  Kansas City is footing this bill alone, then there's the cap. The only way it makes sense is multiple SB victories and like you said and the cap is going to be hell on them.

It's been my opinion for years that QB salaries are way out of hand.  

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

He comes from a professional sports family.  I doubt they let him sign a funny money deal, but it sure sounds funny.  

Virtually the entire deal is conditionally guaranteed.  Gotta watch when lawyers break out a new word.  

Obviously the Chiefs had to break the bank here, no question at all. 

It is funny though how often weird and unanticipated things seem to happen in any sport when guys sign these huge deals.  Injuries, personal problems, or just plain not playing well for unknown reasons.

Admit though that I’m pretty negatively biased here when it comes to PM since he is pretty much the sole reason there’s no Lombardi at BSP-would have smoked SF. 

4 hours ago, Callidus said:

What is he getting this year 4mil? 

His cap number is about $6.6M but he gets his $10M signing bonus and $825K in base salary. So he has to live on just $10.825M before taxes this year.