Sign in to follow this  
OilerTitanHybrid

Kern ranked 5th best punter by CBSSports.com

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-the-top-10-nfl-kickers-and-top-10-punters-heading-into-the-2020-regular-season/

5. Brett Kern, Titans

A big reason the Titans defense was so good last year is because Brett Kern was always putting them in a position to succeed. During the 2019 season, Kern placed 37 punts inside the 20-yard line of his opponent, which led the NFL, and is more impressive when you consider that only two punters even hit the 35 mark (Kern and Jake Bailey). Being able to pin your opponent deep means a punter has a lot of control over his ball, but make no mistake, Kern could also boom that call whenever the Titans needed it. Not only did he rank fourth in the NFL in yards per punt (47.1), but he also ranked fourth in net yards per punt with an average of 43.1. 

If Kern and the Titans have one weakness, it's that the Tennessee punt coverage team surrendered 9.0 yards per return. The Titans were one of just nine teams in the NFL that gave up nine or more yards per return in 2019. 

On a completely unrelated note, if you are a fan of quality punting -- and who's not? -- you should probably watch as much AFC South football as possible next season. Out of our top 7 punters on this list, three of them came from the AFC South (Kern, Cooke, Anger).

1 hour ago, Face said:

I don’t follow punters, which I assume doesn’t place me in the minority.  But I’ve been watching Brett Kern punt for a decade, and some of those years featured ALOT of punts (2014 anybody).  And I can say with confidence that there’s no way in hell there’s 4 guys that do it better then he does.....

The Titans have played a lot of teams and I don't remember any punter consistently putting them in horrible position over and over.

1. Thomas Morstead, Saints

For the second straight year, Thomas Morstead is at the top of our best punters list, and that's because no one is better at punting the football right now than the guy in New Orleans. Sure, it might seem like the Saints don't ever punt, but the fact of the matter is that they actually do once in awhile, and when that happens, Morstead almost always comes through with a clutch punt. 

In 2019, Morstead punted the ball 60 times and nearly half of those (29) landed inside the opponent's 20-yard line. Morstead also made things easy for the Saints punt coverage team with his sky-high kicks that led to 21 fair catches. Morstead averaged 46.2 yards per punt last season, and although that only ranked 11th in the NFL, his net average of 43.1 ranked fifth overall. Morstead has ranked in the top-10 for net punting average in each of the past nine seasons and has ranked in the top-5 in seven of those seasons.

Oh, and let's not forget that he's also averaged 46.9 yards per punt over the course of his career, which ranks third in NFL history. Morstead has been in New Orleans since 2009, and if he keeps punting that way he's punting, the Saints probably aren't ever going to let him go. 

10 hours ago, Face said:

I don’t follow punters, which I assume doesn’t place me in the minority.  But I’ve been watching Brett Kern punt for a decade, and some of those years featured ALOT of punts (2014 anybody).  And I can say with confidence that there’s no way in hell there’s 4 guys that do it better then he does.....

2014 and 15 if I remember he punted like 90 times both years.

6 minutes ago, Callidus said:

2014 and 15 if I remember he punted like 90 times both years.

Hey Touched The Tard, speaking of punting, lets see what we can do with what’s left of your nut sack. 

.....says the broadcasting station that employs Boomer Esiason, is proud of "The Big Bang Theory", promotes fucking "Young Sheldon" every 2 fucking minutes, and made me sit through YEARS of Phil Simms analyzing the best games of the week.

In Terms of doing your job with efficiency and skill Kern is one of the best players in the league. His punting, especially towards the end of the Patriots playoff game was a masterpiece.