• Delayed
    • We will be lucky to have an abbreviated year at all

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, it’s called wearing a mask and setting a good example instead of making this partisan. It’s called reacting with the full force of the government instead acting like it isn’t real for / months o

This thread is weird. It starts with talking about the NFL season. Then some posters show they don't know how to calculate the death rate of a disease, and even double down on this (sorry, triple...sh

Just another uninformed Trump supporter. Pay no attention.

Posted Images

I went with delayed but I'm seriously worried they may not be a season at all.  Football can be played deep into winter so not like the seasons make a big difference.

I just remember laying off my employees and saying see you all in a couple weeks...that was what seemed like forever ago and still can't tell them when they'll be back.

So I'm not counting on anything.

I burned out waiting for baseball.

There is a lot of money to be made, which means there would be a lot of money to be lost if they don’t play. The owners lose money and the players lose money. Even if there are no fans in the stands, there is a lot of TV money on the line.

I think there’s a good chance they cancel some exhibition games, but I don’t think they will delay the regular season. Of course, it could start spreading during training camp or during the season and then they could take emergency actions.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

There is a lot of money to be made, which means there would be a lot of money to be lost if they don’t play. The owners lose money and the players lose money. Even if there are no fans in the stands, there is a lot of TV money on the line.

I think there’s a good chance they cancel some exhibition games, but I don’t think they will delay the regular season. Of course, it could start spreading during training camp or during the season and then they could take emergency actions.

curious as to how much the owners make on the fans in relation to the tv contracts.....I know with baseball its a huge deal but they play 81 home games as opposed to 8.

Not sure I see the point in a delayed start.  Things aren’t going to really change I wouldn’t think from September 10th to weeks later.  To me it’s either a full season or nothing.  And the way things are going no season could be possible. 

I mean what’s going to happen if a lineman gets it?  Are they going to have to quarantine every other lineman?  You won’t be able to field a team of legit NFL players at that point.

Edited by scine09

I think they are going to attempt to start the season on time. There is too much money to be had for them not to try. A delay would only happen if there is some kind of push back from the NFLPA. No delay is going to change the risk. 

I still think they need to increase roster sizes or implement a veteran practice squad. They need players on hand that are capable of stepping in. There should be a mandatory quarantine period, daily testing/monitoring and mandatory isolation. 

I’m 50/50

One part of me says for the benefit and safety of everyone to not have a season

One part says have the players sign a waiver and have them wear a mask while playing. If they will risk brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries then they will risk catching a virus. One thing is for sure. No fans should be allowed, and if there are it should be kept to a minimum of no more than 5,000 fans and families can be no larger than a family of 4 and people over 60 and younger than 7 not allowed to attend. 

My worry is that teams will lose so much training time that it won't be feasibly to put together a roster. 

Also, what happens when the game starts at 12, but at 9am 9 players test positive? Now your 53 man roster is reduced plus in key positions you're missing stars or even starters all together. Maybe no QB or no corner or no center. What if your long snapper or punter goes out? 

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

The players don’t seem to mind the risk of brain injuries enough to stop playing so I doubt the risk of a virus is going to deter them unless players start to die

This is probably being held up by lawyers. They're concerned about the liability and if later they could be responsible for deaths, deaths of family members, or even increased deaths or medical problems in the communities in which these players live -- not necessarily the players. I'm sure a ton of new case law will be developed because of this. 

Questions like: did the NFL foster and environment that was conducive to increased Covid-19 infections that then was passed onto the community and healthcare systems. 

10 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

So a team makes approx 138 million off of fans per game?

That seems like a lot.

ya there is no way that is right. My last post was sarcasm. 

Maybe that is per week across the whole league. That would be about $8-$10m per home team. 60k fans would be a little under $150 per fan. 

Edited by CaliTitan3518