A Discussion of Systemic Racism

Number9

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Until very recently, post civil war American history consisted of the westward expansion up unitl the Spanish American War and WW1, barely any mention of Jim Crow and no mention of the confiscation of

Sorry @Little Earl but after the "die for your economy" COVID response the GOP can no longer be called the pro-life party.

Are you guys still arguing whether or not System Racism exists? Lol. Of course it does. The city of Nashville and its neighborhood structure proves it.    The evidence of privilege and the e

Posted Images

Thomas Sowell:

You hear this phrase, ‘systemic racism’ o] ‘systemic oppression’.l. “You hear it on our college campuses. You hear it from very wealthy and fabulously famous sports stars. What does that mean? And whatever it means, is it true?”

“It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses, who added that the currency of the phrase reminds him of the “propaganda tactics” of Nazi Germany, where Sowell claimed that if a lie was “repeated long enough and loud enough” it would be widely believed.

There is no such thing as systemic racism in the USA - more buzz words for liberals to hang their hat on. Another round in the meaningless chatter to give excuses to people who made bad choices time and time again and will not accept any responsibility for their own life choices.

7 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Thomas Sowell:

You hear this phrase, ‘systemic racism’ o] ‘systemic oppression’.l. “You hear it on our college campuses. You hear it from very wealthy and fabulously famous sports stars. What does that mean? And whatever it means, is it true?”

“It really has no meaning that can be specified and tested in the way that one tests hypotheses, who added that the currency of the phrase reminds him of the “propaganda tactics” of Nazi Germany, where Sowell claimed that if a lie was “repeated long enough and loud enough” it would be widely believed.

There is no such thing as systemic racism in the USA - more buzz words for liberals to hang their hat on. Another round in the meaningless chatter to give excuses to people who made bad choices time and time again and will not accept any responsibility for their own life choices.

Screenshot_20200711-182418_Twitter.jpg

5 hours ago, Little Earl said:

Thomas Sowell:

In this thread I posted verifiable facts about systemic racism from different sources and about different events over the past 170 years. If you want to pick one of them and explain what is not true. Go right ahead. I will answer your questioning. 

Heres one example of white privilege

Minority job applicants are “whitening” their resumes by deleting references to their race with the hope of boosting their shot at jobs, and research shows the strategy is paying off.

In fact, companies are more than twice as likely to call minority applicants for interviews if they submit whitened resumes than candidates who reveal their race—and this discriminatory practice is just as strong for businesses that claim to value diversity as those that don’t.

https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews

Edited by Daqueef

Redlining was a real thing.  It's pretty easy and difficult to deny that people of specefic races are dumped into geographic areas.  When there is a high concentration of black people in an area white people move to the suburbs.  This isn't to crap on anyone.  When in NY and faced with the same choice for me and my family, I decided to rent a place in a nice part of White Plains instead of down in the Bronx even though I could have found something considerably cheaper and been much closer to work.

Reality is, I didn't feel comfortable living there and I didn't want my family to live there either.  That's my choice.  It was NOT made out of racist intent and I know most white people probably feel the same way I do.  Having said that, the impact of that decision is that the wealthiest people all tend to flee those areas which not only deprives the area of business and opportunities but also starves the area of tax revenue and property values tank.  Crime is a natural spring from the desperation that comes along with that sort of situation for decades.

I acknowledge it's a problem and that it's long standing in nature and that we ALL (myself, minorities, and everyone else) have a piece of the responsibility for a better future for America.  The truth is though, I'm not willing to sacrifice my family's opportunities and safety in order to see that outcome and almost everyone else feels the same as me.  Where does that leave us?  There are solutions.  We are an innovative society that put men on the moon and created the assembly line and the internet (at least in it's modern version).  I think it's important to have these difficult conversations and be honest about our own shortcomings if we're ever to solve anything though.   

Edited by Justafan

45 minutes ago, Justafan said:

Redlining was a real thing.  It's pretty easy and difficult to deny that people of specefic races are dumped into geographic areas.  When there is a high concentration of black people in an area white people move to the suburbs.  This isn't to crap on anyone.  When in NY and faced with the same choice for me and my family, I decided to rent a place in a nice part of White Plains instead of down in the Bronx even though I could have found something considerably cheaper and been much closer to work.

Reality is, I didn't feel comfortable living there and I didn't want my family to live there either.  That's my choice.  It was NOT made out of racist intent and I know most white people probably feel the same way I do.  Having said that, the impact of that decision is that the wealthiest people all tend to flee those areas which not only deprives the area of business and opportunities but also starves the area of tax revenue and property values tank.  Crime is a natural spring from the desperation that comes along with that sort of situation for decades.

I acknowledge it's a problem and that it's long standing in nature and that we ALL (myself, minorities, and everyone else) have a piece of the responsibility for a better future for America.  The truth is though, I'm not willing to sacrifice my family's opportunities and safety in order to see that outcome and almost everyone else feels the same as me.  Where does that leave us?  There are solutions.  We are an innovative society that put men on the moon and created the assembly line and the internet (at least in it's modern version).  I think it's important to have these difficult conversations and be honest about our own shortcomings if we're ever to solve anything though.   

Hmm... you seem to equate non-white majority areas with being high crime areas. I had no such problems living in either majority non-white area

27 minutes ago, Daqueef said:

Hmm... you seem to equate non-white majority areas with being high crime areas. I had no such problems living in either majority non-white area

Red lined neighborhoods weren't necessarily high crime, but they were lower wealth after losing access to capital.

Bed Stuy Do or Die was about hustle, legal and illegal.  There was a lot of crime.  But that neighborhood cleaned itself up well before cashing out to white people moving in.

52 minutes ago, Daqueef said:

Understanding there is a correlation between poverty and crime is not the same thing as what you are suggesting.  I wasn't accusing anyone or anybody of anything.  I was pointing out how this stuff happens in a generalized sense and then I gave a personal example of how I personally have contributed to it, even unintentionally.  I was speaking for myself.  If you found offense with that, then you were looking for a reason to be offended.  I thought the point of the thread was to have an open and honest conversation about this.  Perhaps I misjudged.  

3 hours ago, Justafan said:

Understanding there is a correlation between poverty and crime is not the same thing as what you are suggesting.  I wasn't accusing anyone or anybody of anything.  I was pointing out how this stuff happens in a generalized sense and then I gave a personal example of how I personally have contributed to it, even unintentionally.  I was speaking for myself.  If you found offense with that, then you were looking for a reason to be offended.  I thought the point of the thread was to have an open and honest conversation about this.  Perhaps I misjudged.  

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

What you are describing is the fault of systemic racism.  We just know a problem exists, so it's been called "white flight" with no reference or at that time understanding of the lending practices of banks, redlining. When the white people move out of the neighborhoods such as the Bronx, the first blacks to move in are moving there for better living conditions.  The market starts to heat up with too many white flight sellers and investors come in to grab bargain priced homes.  They chop them up, where one or two families lived in the house they remodel it.  In those old brownstones, it was easy to get 5-8 rents out of just one them.  Does the neighborhood go down?   You are damn right it does!  Mr Responsible Black Person can't refi at the best rates, maybe not at all.  The neighborhood is now redlined.

The neighborhood has been redlined, devalued.  I grew up in Nashville.  There were several black suburban developments over the river in Bordeaux and Haynes Heights.  These homes were equal to West Meade, an upscale Nashville area.*  Then they came in with tract houses in subdivisions, nice homes.  These black people were happy to move to where the rich blacks lived, no problem.  They kept up their homes and neighborhood.  Then the city decided to build a project out there.  Then the city decided to build special financing homes for single moms, other programs to help po' people.  Then they built a large apartment complex for income adjusted residents.  Oh yeah, the city stuck the dump out there.

The home values in that area appreciate at dreadfully slow rates.  My family home, almost twice as nice as mine is worth only about 60% of what my home is worth.  Refi?  Cash money sitting in home value that you can use to send junior to college, remodel, start your own business or leave to your children.  So, no wonder whites want to move out.  Look what happens when the blacks move in.

*I have been in these homes, they were the same.  Many of my black bougie friend's homes were much nicer!

On 7/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, LongTimeFan said:

You want to have a conversation and when someone has a different view or counterpoint, you insinuate they are racist, or unsympathetic or have no empathy or a bigot or whatever slight you can use on them.

When I was in charge of the programming for my company, i hired 2 African Americans, one disabled, one female, one middle eastern in my group of 12 developers.

Everytime I get a pay day on an investment of over $100,000, I give at least $10,000 to someone. More when I recieve more. I have probably given close to $500,000 away.

I buy 50-75 bikes at Christmas and put them together with my son for the last 7 yrs for underprivileged kids in the area.

I donate plenty of time to help others. I stop and help stranded vehicles on the side of the road all the time.

And to top it off, I have saved almost 20 turtles from getting smashed crossing the road. One just yesterday!

So kiss my ass. 

What year did white privilege end?