What will Jayon Brown and Jonnu Smith cost when they are extended?

kyle021

Fortunately we don’t have many players at the end of their contract at the end of the 2021 season like we did this offseason. 

off the top of my head Corey Davis, Dequan Jones, Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith, and Derrick Henry will be FA’s

I doubt Davis is extended unless he puts it together and has a great year, and I didn’t realize Jones has a cap hit if 8.3 million this year. We could be sitting pretty cap wise next offseason with much of the roster intact and the main core locked in long term. One major factor is obviously Henry as Robinson and Henry’s agents are trying to work out a long term deal that could be anywhere from 10-16 million a year. I wouldn’t have a problem keeping Henry at 10-12 million a year with an out after 2 or 3 seasons since he pretty much had an easy work loaf for two seasons behind Murray, and they added a back in Evans who will help loosen the load on him like Lewis was supposed to... So extending Henry at a reasonable deal that pays him handsomely for the first 2 or 3 seasons of his contract would be wise since he doesn’t have a lot of tread on his tires and he is still young and doesn’t have an injury history. I could see Henry agreeing to a deal that pays him market value but only for 3 seasons tops that allows him to hit FA while still in his prime allowing him to make another big contract but on someone else’s dime. 

With Jones freeing up 8.3 million and the release of Casey freeing up 12 or so million and Beasley contract only being a 1 year 9.5 million dollar deal and the cap increasing and players potentially cut or restructured such as Ben Jones we could be going into the offseason and FA with a healthy cap and our roster intact. Something Reese was unable to do. 

So... Out of the names above the ones I would lose sleep over losing would be Smith and Brown. 

what will they be looking at?

Would Jonnu command Austin Hooper type of money, or would he command something in the ballpark of 6-7 million a year? What about Jayon who is silently one of the leagues top ILB’s? Would he command something like CJ Mosley for the Jets when he signed a crazy 17/yr deal or would he command something similar to Dion Jones who got a 4 year 57 million dollar extension with 34 in guarantees and paid him 14.3 a season from Atlanta. Is Jayon Brown worth that? That’s almost more tough for me to answer than Derrick Henry for the fact that we will also have to pay Evans and Landry big time money as well a year later. 

Would we afford to pay both Evans and Brown top dollar to keep the duo intact? Lord knows I want them to stay but you can’t invest nearly 30 million a year on ILB’s. I almost worry that David Long is groomed to take over Browns spot. I would try to lock Jayon down at 10 a year. 

I think we need to lock them up a year early versus waiting another year and the cost of keeping them goes higher. 

Opinions?

The numbers I have been expecting are...

6-8 for jonnu

10-12 for jayon

6-8 for jones

10-14 for henry

6-7 for davis if we keep him

Not that I think we keep all 5 but we should have the cap for it. Jones and davis are the obvious choices to not keep. 

41 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

The cap is going to look a lot different, no point speculating until we see the numbers

If it dose not go up it should be around 48mil we have 2 work with. So I would say 45-52 would be what we can expect.

1 hour ago, Cajuntitan said:

In the absence of actual sports SPECULATION is all we have...

And in the absence of sports revenue is going to tank

2 hours ago, reb9000tn said:

I will be very amazed if they have any type of season this year where fans are involved. We are in mid June and venues still aren't letting fans attend events. Last night Nascar let in 1000 fans (possibly all that wanted to attend). My high school reunion was just canceled for an entire year, and it wasn't until October. Interest rates are supposedly going to stay very low until next year. This country is in a crisis whether anyone wants to admit it or not. 

Unfortunately we have a president who is intent on making people believing otherwise.

47 minutes ago, h4t said:

Ivermectin is the new game changer.  If further studies confirm what the early studies show, the pandemic is over and the stadiums will be full.

Isnt that the stuff trump said is a cure but does nothing?

38 minutes ago, h4t said:

No, that was hydroxyquinaline.  I think Trump shouldn't tout this drug until the science community says it works, or else it will be ignored and  panned. 

After your post I read up on it a bit. The preliminary evidence is really good. The drug also helps a lot with HIV apparently, which is also an RNA virus. Thanks for the information. Here was the study: 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

Archived