4 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think the only other team that makes sense as a fit and who would over pay would be the Redskins. 

It's basic supply and demand.  Only suckers pay big money long term deals for RB's in today's NFL.

7 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The Titans line up in heavy formations and pound the ball, they did it with Murray and even had success with MM. That philosophy works even with a lesser RB. 

There were plenty of plays though that were all Derrick Henry. He turns 15 yard runs into long TDs. 

The lack of wear and tear until recently and Henry's world class conditioning and lack of injury history all make him uniquely positioned to receive a short term extension as a RB. I would agree in like 90% of cases, but this extension is one that I'd be willing to take a risk on as long as its structure is short term and team friendly. 

If he were Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon or Mark Ingram or Le'Veon Bell or whoever, I'd say tag him and then let him walk. 

Edited by tgo

11 minutes ago, tgo said:

There were plenty of plays though that were all Derrick Henry. He turns 15 yard runs into long TDs. 

The lack of wear and tear until recently and Henry's world class conditioning and lack of injury history all make him uniquely positioned to receive a short term extension as a RB. I would agree in like 90% of cases, but this extension is one that I'd be willing to take a risk on as long as its structure is short term and team friendly. 

If he were Melvin Gordon or Joe Mixon or Mark Ingram or Le'Veon Bell or whoever, I'd say tag him and then let him walk. 

You are giving far too much credit for Tannehill's season to Henry when in reality, its the other way around. The only proof you need is to look at Tannehill's accuracy and little separation his receivers got throughout the year. I was shocked at his ball placement.

9 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You are giving far too much credit for Tannehill's season to Henry when in reality, its the other way around. The only proof you need is to look at Tannehill's accuracy and little separation his receivers got throughout the year. I was shocked at his ball placement.

Well I think it does go both ways, but Henry made so many plays on his own in the open field and accounted for a shit ton of production even outside the system. 

9 minutes ago, oldschool said:

It was ridiculous how many lasers he zipped strait into a guys hands or between 2 defenders.

32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

And to piggyback on my other comment, I think Tannehill's ability to play loose and succeed in this system in part comes from taking the pressure off him (figuratively and literally), which leads back to Henry and the run game. 

Tannehill is obviously more important than Henry, I'm just saying Henry is the single next biggest factor of our recent success. 

Edited by tgo

14 minutes ago, tgo said:

Henry is the single next biggest factor of our recent success. 

Henry is the easiest factor to replace. This is not a slight at his skill level but the importance of it. I'd guess 15 RBs could step in and the offense wouldn't miss a beat, Evans might be one of them

Tannehill, blocking(OL and skill people), skill people and defense all rank ahead of Henry

4 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Henry is the easiest factor to replace. This is not a slight at his skill level but the importance of it. I'd guess 15 RBs could step in and the offense wouldn't miss a beat, Evans might be one of them

Tannehill, blocking(OL and skill people), skill people and defense all rank ahead of Henry

A generic RB wouldn't make the same open field plays and explosives that Henry does, or implement the same fear in the defense even with a high end run blocking OL. 

I get what you're saying position wise, but I just think Henry is a unique animal and a generational talent. Since we have the cap space, we should try to retain him if it's a semi reasonable short term deal. If we were cap strapped I'd be singing a different tune. 

I agree that one the whole you'd want the run blocking OL in aggregate coupled with a lesser runner over Henry with a poor run blocking OL. But when comparing individual players, Henry is the player you wouldn't want to lose on offense outside of Tannehill and Lewan imo

10 minutes ago, tgo said:

but I just think Henry is a unique animal and a generational talent.

Yea fans always think this, it's never true. More importantly, doesn't matter if it's true. You need a QB who makes accurate passes and a running game to put away games. You don't have to have a 250lb 4.4 RB. That's just fun to watch

11 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea fans always think this, it's never true. More importantly, doesn't matter if it's true. You need a QB who makes accurate passes and a running game to put away games. You don't have to have a 250lb 4.4 RB. That's just fun to watch

Pretty much.  The RB back there just has to not be a stiff and someone who can chew out yards and catch passes.  They might have that in Evans.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Pretty much.  The RB back there just has to not be a stiff and someone who can chew out yards and catch passes.  They might have that in Evans.

It's more than possible Evans is the primary RB in 2021

11 minutes ago, rns90 said:

This is easy to say when we have the luxury of a good RB right now and aren't dealing with a Bishop Sankey or Chris Brown. For run based teams, which we will always be under Tannehill, you do not want to be trying to make do with a lesser RB with a championship on the line. 

There's an unnecessary opportunity cost to not having a top notch RB when you are a running team as long as it doesn't inhibit the team's salary cap situation. 

If you're a run based team, why not maximize that with a great RB if you can do so without a major cost to another area of the team?

Now - if Henry is asking for the farm, then fine - tag him again next year and go get another top notch runner to replace him at a lesser cost of resources.