Derrick Henry and the July 15th Deadline

1 hour ago, tgo said:

This is easy to say when we have the luxury of a good RB right now and aren't dealing with a Bishop Sankey or Chris Brown. For run based teams, which we will always be under Tannehill, you do not want to be trying to make do with a lesser RB with a championship on the line. 

There's an unnecessary opportunity cost to not having a top notch RB when you are a running team as long as it doesn't inhibit the team's salary cap situation. 

If you're a run based team, why not maximize that with a great RB if you can do so without a major cost to another area of the team?

Now - if Henry is asking for the farm, then fine - tag him again next year and go get another top notch runner to replace him at a lesser cost of resources. 

Those days with Bishop Sankey also included an entire offensive roster that was complete shit to begin with. I think you're over estimating Henry's value to the success of the offense. I like Henry. I really do but he benefits more from being in this offense than the offense benefits from having him if that makes sense. I think of Henry as our mascot. We prop him up as the face of the franchise because a 6'3 250 lb RB sounds like everything you want a Titan to be.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard Warren Sharpe the other day explaining how the Titans are a pass first team. He correctly pointed out the Titans want to hit big pass plays and score early, then they want to run you over with

I’m normally not a fan of the 2nd RB contract, but Henry’s work ethic is unmatched at the RB position in the NFL. He’s worth it

The thing that makes me want them to extend Henry is the fact that he is an anomaly. There aren’t RBs out there that are built like him and take care of their bodies like he does. He is coming off of

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

Those days with Bishop Sankey also included an entire offensive roster that was complete shit to begin with. I think you're over estimating Henry's value to the success of the offense. I like Henry. I really do but he benefits more from being in this offense than the offense benefits from having him if that makes sense. I think of Henry as our mascot. We prop him up as the face of the franchise because a 6'3 250 lb RB sounds like everything you want a Titan to be.

Oh he's everything we want a Titan to be (maybe sans some receiving ability and blocking prowess), which is another reason he should be paid on a somewhat reasonable deal. 

But if a reasonable deal can't be had, we shouldn't sell the farm for him. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

Obviously. 

But Tannehill's play action game and the heavy focus on Henry does benefit Tannehill, there is no disputing it. 

Tannehill is obviously a bigger factor and more important, but the players complement each other in the offensive system in a reciprocal fashion. 

Yes the heavy threat of running the ball can open up the passing game but you dont necessarily need Henry for that. I'm not saying Henry isnt an asset I'm just saying you can replace Henry alot easier than other positions on offense. A 3 down back would actually compliment this offense more than Henry.

21 minutes ago, tgo said:

Obviously. 

But Tannehill's play action game and the heavy focus on Henry does benefit Tannehill, there is no disputing it. 

Tannehill is obviously a bigger factor and more important, but the players complement each other in the offensive system in a reciprocal fashion. 

You don’t even have to dig into the PA game to make the case. Henry has shown at his peak he can take over games like he did at the end of 18 and in the playoffs last year. There aren’t many RBs who can actually control a game like him. It doesn’t mean the offense runs through him; it means it is an added feature to the offense defenses have to account for. If they sell out to stop the pass then they will end up down in TOP 2:1 with the Titans controlling the ball the entire game. 

Some may not like that style of play, but it is our style and it isn’t going anywhere. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

4 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

You don’t even have to dig into the PA game to make the case. Henry has shown at his peak he can take over games like he did at the end of 18 and in the playoffs last year. There aren’t many RBs who can actually control a game like him. It doesn’t mean the offense runs through him; it means it is an added feature to the offense defenses have to account for. If they sell out to stop the pass then they will end up down in TOP 2:1 with the Titans controlling the ball the entire game. 

Some may not like that style of play, but it is our style and it isn’t going anywhere. 

Patriots followed that gameplan to sell out trying to stop the pass and Henry went off. What did we have to show for it? 14 pts.....and we needed a defensive touchdown to clinch the game. 

Just now, Pray_iv_m3rcy said:

Patriots followed that gameplan to sell out trying to stop the pass and Henry went off. What did we have to show for it? 14 pts.....and we needed a defensive touchdown to clinch the game. 

I’m not sure you’re understanding the point. Having Henry means it is a facet of our ability to dominate the games if the defense chooses to go that route. It ended up with only 14 points, yet we dominated the game and took it entirely out of Tannehill’s hands. 

If you want to disagree with that strategy then fine, but that is what we did, and the only reason it worked was because of Henry. 

I also would like to add that I don’t ever see us beating the Chiefs in the playoffs without Henry. He is simply put our X factor. Tannehill on his absolute best day cannot make the same plays as Mahomes on a good day, especially when you add in the speed of their offense. We don’t have that speed. Our chance to beat them is to bully them into submission. It doesn’t mean we have to re-sign Henry. I think franchising him and letting it play out is the right move, but we are no match for them if we can’t dominate TOP. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

33 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure why you guys keep saying this. Henry was 4th in the league in total yardage last year. 

That's almost exclusively because of his rushing numbers

Henry was the 197th ranked pass catcher in yardage last year

4th in total yards is a laughingly deceptive description. 

He was around top 10 in total yards not even counting his pass catching 

37 minutes ago, Nash said:

I think the loss of revenue due to the virus and perhaps a decrease in the cap has a lot to do with the Henry situation.. you  have to be prepared for the worst 

Definitely part of the reason an extension hasn't been finalized. 

41 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

That's almost exclusively because of his rushing numbers

Henry was the 197th ranked pass catcher in yardage last year

4th in total yards is a laughingly deceptive description. 

He was around top 10 in total yards not even counting his pass catching 

Correct. That’s what I was saying. Even with his deficiencies he was still top 4 in overall yardage. He adds a facet to our team most others do not, which is he can take over games single handily. 

3 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’m not sure you’re understanding the point. Having Henry means it is a facet of our ability to dominate the games if the defense chooses to go that route. It ended up with only 14 points, yet we dominated the game and took it entirely out of Tannehill’s hands. 

If you want to disagree with that strategy then fine, but that is what we did, and the only reason it worked was because of Henry. 

Exactly. We didn't score much but that game was not ever in the patriots hands.

2 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Exactly. We didn't score much but that game was not ever in the patriots hands.

Hey Touched The Tard, have you ever noticed anything unusual about this board? Did you ever think that I just might be in cahoots with the homers? Lay your bets now gents. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA