Derrick Henry and the July 15th Deadline

JRob has just over a month to make one of the most important decisions in his tenure as Titans GM when he has to decide whether to hand Derrick Henry a long term extension before the July 15 deadline for franchise tag players to agree a long term extension.

There are not only on the field but off the field considerations involved in this decision.

- The disastrous recent record of big money RB contracts

- The potential fall in the 2021-2022 salary caps due to lost revenue from the covid-19 pandemic.

- Marketing/Sponsorship/Brand Recognition benefits a player like Henry provides the Titans

- Leadership qualities that have clearly developed over his time in Nashville.

- How much can you afford to pay a 2 down RB

- How important is Henry to the physical identity of this franchise and the way they want to play football

One thing JRob has done a pretty decent job of is not loading this team up with many large boom/bust contracts in his time here, I think the way the Tannehill contract has been structured there could be an issue if he regresses hard anytime in the next couple of years, adding a big RB contract for Henry could also be considered risky.

In his zoom call today JRob basically confirmed the team is going to do everything in its power to sign Henry to a long term deal before the July 15th deadline. 

Must admit i'm torn on any potential Henry extension because I love how he fits with the vision of JRob/Vrabel and how they want to this team to play and I just think the tandem of Tannehill/Henry works, but you simply can't ignore the financial realities of big 2nd RB contracts and the disaster they usually turn out to be.

I expect Henry will get a long term deal before July 15th I just hope JRob doesn't load a possible problematic contract to this salary cap in the process of getting it done.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard Warren Sharpe the other day explaining how the Titans are a pass first team. He correctly pointed out the Titans want to hit big pass plays and score early, then they want to run you over with

I’m normally not a fan of the 2nd RB contract, but Henry’s work ethic is unmatched at the RB position in the NFL. He’s worth it

The thing that makes me want them to extend Henry is the fact that he is an anomaly. There aren’t RBs out there that are built like him and take care of their bodies like he does. He is coming off of

Posted Images

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

Should be a 3 year deal but I bet they sign a 4 year where the last year is meaningless. 4 year 50 mil where it’s really like 3 for 35. 

The real unknown about these negotiations is how realistic Henry and his Agents are willing to be about the current RB market, i'm not sure they would be willing to agree a deal at $12-12.5 million a season when McCaffrey just got $16 million, there is a lot of ego involved in these contract negotiations.

Honestly, I'd just tag him again.  And let him walk after 2021.  That way you would have gotten 3 probable high level years out of him.  BUT they won't do that.    

It's 2022 that's the year where we might lose a ton in FA.  Evans, Jackson, and Landry are all UFA. So is Ben Jones.  Those guys are more important to me.  But if you sign Henry, one of those 3 younger players will probably have to depart.  

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If he signs an extension it's going to be totally in the teams favor and likely easy to get out of. 

We have him at $10 mil this year with no longer term commitment.

We can have him next year for $12M with no longer term commitment.

Even a 2 year $22 contract requires significant additional risk to be borne by the Titans.

If JRob can unemotionally analyze Casey's value and trade him for a 7th, then I doubt he is going to pay a nickle more for Henry than he has to.

Unless Henry is willing to sign up for $8-10/M a year for 3-4 years, I don't see an extension happening.

Edited by ChemEngr79

9 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Henry wants to be here and he will play for less than we expect.

I tend to think it will be a solid deal that favors the Titans somewhat.  Not a blockbuster deal.

Henry did the team a huge favor by signing the tag before the draft.

Seems like a lot of mutual respect between the two sides.

Of course negotiations are always fragile and could blow up at a moments notice.

7 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

The real unknown about these negotiations is how realistic Henry and his Agents are willing to be about the current RB market, i'm not sure they would be willing to agree a deal at $12-12.5 million a season when McCaffrey just got $16 million, there is a lot of ego involved in these contract negotiations.

They were realistic enough to quickly sign the franchise tag. 

All indications are Henry is a generational running back in the mold of an Eric Dickerson or Barry Sanders. He was absolutely dominating in the playoffs and got stronger as the season progressed. The history of good running backs with longevity is sparse but I believe Henry is one of those guys. That said, Jrob will not sacrifice the team's future on one player. He's too smart for that. A 3 or 4 year deal for $40-50 mil isn't unreasonable. He has quickly become one of the faces of the franchise. I think they'll get it done and I think it's the right decision. I wouldn't say that about any other running back in the league.

It was also be a good thing if Evans pans out and can reduce the number of carries for Henry.

Edited by freakingeek

3 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

Every GM with a popular player coming up on a deadline is 'working on a deal', do hope it's true in this case.

Henry already signed the tender, the Titans drafted a RB in Evans and the franchise # is low enough to tag Henry again if it came down to. It's really nothing to be concerned about. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, freakingeek said:

All indications are Henry is a generational running back

You keep saying that and I believe it's true.  Henry has a unique style.  People say he gave out against Kansas City, but it wasn't him as much as the way they used him.  He's a closer, a game finisher.  In the playoffs, he was overused in Baltimore.  They were attacking with him too soon @KC.  They ran him too much in the first half.   His game is running over tired defenses.  Henry's a great back, but you have to have other weapons too.