Nascar and the Confederate Flag

Number9

22 hours ago, OzTitan said:

It's good to know it wasn't a deliberate racist act. I think the fact it was assumed to be, while a mistake in hindsight, says more about the situation as a whole as it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to make. We need to get to a place where the assumption simply wouldn't have been made, which largely comes down to stamping it out with positive actions and removing it from people's consciousness as a threat over time. You don't do that by minimizing and disregarding.

Totally agree with you Oz.  The only thing I would add is that because this is such an emotional subject in this particular environment at this particular time(as it should be), it would obviously be best to get the facts before releasing something as volatile as this to the public on social media as NASCAR did.  

Maybe there was no choice, and I certainly get the assumption of what it was, but right now there's even MORE reason to get something like this right the first time for all the obvious reasons.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why....because we choose not to honor treason to the union for preserving slavery.  The history is still there.  It isn't erased.  But we aren't going to celebrate it with monuments in public places r

South Carolina Refuses To Remove Confederate Flag From Capitol Trailer   https://www.theonion.com/south-carolina-refuses-to-remove-confederate-flag-from-1819577937

So you are angry that change is happening all at once? So what?   They are taking these actions because it's motherfucking time. Once a pillar falls, its easier to bring the other

Posted Images

Regardless of whether or not it was a noose and left there intentionally or not, the response from NASCAR was good to see even if it was probably mostly PR. A year ago, I wouldn't have expected anything more than a statement condemning racism. 

Yeah so this remains really weird and extraordinary, by definition, based on it being the only 1 in a sample of nearly 2 thousand. Could just be a huge coincidence I suppose (channeling Seinfield).

If the timing remains correct, in that it was like that for a long time, then maybe it was actually a joke/threat about suicide? I can't remember the reference, but people leaving nooses for sending "kill yourself" or similar threats is not new in popular culture, I'm sure it may have even been used in a movie or something before (although I could be remembering a racist threat as well).

Although the extraordinary odds of this make me feel that maybe they got the timing thing wrong, especially given the person who made the noose, a clearly unusual thing to do in this context, would surely remember and be able to come forward by now?

On 6/13/2020 at 5:37 AM, ctm said:

IMO, battlefield monuments on the historic sites should stay.  They are completely different than statues, plaques, etc. installed in public places to honor.

That's actually a fair compromise.

Which means it will be rejected by BLM and the libtard posse.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:02 PM, Number9 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/22/bubba-wallace-noose-nascar-fbi-investigation-confederate-flag-ban

A noose was placed in Bubba Wallace's garage.

"the flag ain't about hate.  It's about our heritage."

And that turned out to be bullshit.  But I'm sure the FBI appreciates Wallace for bringing it to their attention, despite the fact that it was immediately obvious that it was a hoax.  He needn't worry that they have created a dossier on him for future reference.

6 minutes ago, Denali said:

And that turned out to be bullshit.  But I'm sure the FBI appreciates Wallace for bringing it to their attention, despite the fact that it was immediately obvious that it was a hoax.  He needn't worry that they have created a dossier on him for future reference.

He didn't bring it forward moron.