Visited Vegas

Stan

Visited Vegas last week. Saw the memorial site for the victims of the shooting that happened there 3 years ago. Very somber feeling. You get overcome with emotions and I didn’t know any of these people. 

347350C8-6A5D-45F3-850C-F2E54842A9EA.jpeg

I was still working in hospitality around the time this happened. About a month after the shooting we had a guest who claimed to be a "victim" of the shooting. The lady wasn't shot or harmed physically. She complained to the front desk that she wasn't given reasonable accommodations for her room. She needed a top floor suite to help relieve her PTSD. The resort I worked at is one of the top golf resort in the world. The unreasonable accommodation she was compiling about was a $1000 per night room. The front desk caved because they didn't really give a shit. Upgrading someone to a room that would be otherwise empty is an easy thing to do if it avoids a headache. Im pretty sure they ended up comping most of her stay. 

This chick ended up staying a week. She would be at the bars and restaurants every night telling people her story. She probably didn't pay for a single drink or meal she had while there. It was completely pathetic. She claimed to be in town for a funeral service for another actual victim that was from my area. My wifes family had ties to his family through mutual friends. I asked their friends if they knew who the lady was. Turns out she wasn't a victim. All the stories she was telling were lies. She was some con artist that was going around the towns of some of the victims throwing her story out and getting a bunch of free shit. 

33 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I was still working in hospitality around the time this happened. About a month after the shooting we had a guest who claimed to be a "victim" of the shooting. The lady wasn't shot or harmed physically. She complained to the front desk that she wasn't given reasonable accommodations for her room. She needed a top floor suite to help relieve her PTSD. The resort I worked at is one of the top golf resort in the world. The unreasonable accommodation she was compiling about was a $1000 per night room. The front desk caved because they didn't really give a shit. Upgrading someone to a room that would be otherwise empty is an easy thing to do if it avoids a headache. Im pretty sure they ended up comping most of her stay. 

This chick ended up staying a week. She would be at the bars and restaurants every night telling people her story. She probably didn't pay for a single drink or meal she had while there. It was completely pathetic. She claimed to be in town for a funeral service for another actual victim that was from my area. My wifes family had ties to his family through mutual friends. I asked their friends if they knew who the lady was. Turns out she wasn't a victim. All the stories she was telling were lies. She was some con artist that was going around the towns of some of the victims throwing her story out and getting a bunch of free shit. 

I worked in hotels for a number of years through college and some beyond.  This is par for the course.  Hospitality employees are taught to just make people happy and never want to create a seen so they tend to comp whatever and move on to make a problem go away.

Old trick was to just go eat at a hotel restaurant and tell them to comp it to your room.  Give em any number that works. When they ask for a name/number and maybe figure out it doesn't add up you just make a stink and often just cave like you said.

Smarter hustlers can pick up a real name for real room pretty easily.  Though tech advances have made it a bit harder in past couple decades than in 20th century.

I think my fav one of all time was some couple that checked in on a phony card telling everyone they were working on the follow up movie for Braveheart  (was going to be about Robert the Bruce).  She walked into our (independent but attached to hotel) restaurant in Seattle and I started hearing this crap.  Went over and chatted a bit.  Funny as hell and was so completely obviously a ruse, but people eat that stuff up - Hollywood, celebrity, wealth/fame in general .  Had them call the front desk and then call in the card,  Got picked up later that day.

9 minutes ago, chef said:

I worked in hotels for a number of years through college and some beyond.  This is par for the course.  Hospitality employees are taught to just make people happy and never want to create a seen so they tend to comp whatever and move on to make a problem go away.

Old trick was to just go eat at a hotel restaurant and tell them to comp it to your room.  Give em any number that works. When they ask for a name/number and maybe figure out it doesn't add up you just make a stink and often just cave like you said.

Smarter hustlers can pick up a real name for real room pretty easily.  Though tech advances have made it a bit harder in past couple decades than in 20th century.

I think my fav one of all time was some couple that checked in on a phony card telling everyone they were working on the follow up movie for Braveheart  (was going to be about Robert the Bruce).  She walked into our (independent but attached to hotel) restaurant in Seattle and I started hearing this crap.  Went over and chatted a bit.  Funny as hell and was so completely obviously a ruse, but people eat that stuff up - Hollywood, celebrity, wealth/fame in general .  Had them call the front desk and then call in the card,  Got picked up later that day.

Charge it to the Underhills!

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Visited Vegas last week. Saw the memorial site for the victims of the shooting that happened there 3 years ago. Very somber feeling. You get overcome with emotions and I didn’t know any of these people. 

347350C8-6A5D-45F3-850C-F2E54842A9EA.jpeg

So they now have a Valentine's Day box of salt water taffy in honor of the victims?

One of the victims I saw was from big sandy tennesseee they had a titan up decal next to his picture. They still don’t know why this guy paddock did what he did. 

Archived