Sign in to follow this  
luvyablue256

Future limitations of presidential power

I have a feeling that if Biden wins and if both houses of Congress have a Democratic majority, I could see some legislation limiting presidential power to prevent another mad man wrecking the country like this gas bag has, and increasing power of Congress. 

Which powers should go first?

On 6/2/2020 at 12:01 AM, luvyablue256 said:

I have a feeling that if Biden wins and if both houses of Congress have a Democratic majority, I could see some legislation limiting presidential power to prevent another mad man wrecking the country like this gas bag has, and increasing power of Congress. 

Which powers should go first?

Co equal branches is there for a reason 

There should be an entirely different branch somehow composed of the populace -just the people - that does more than just voting and protesting. Utilize the petition system for actual forced changes that the other branches can’t just ignore. 

Edited by titanruss

10 minutes ago, titanruss said:

There should be an entirely different branch somehow composed of the populace that does more than just voting and protesting. Utilize the petition system for actual forced changes that the other branches can’t just ignore. 

Some sort of House of Representatives perhaps?

8 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Some sort of House of Representatives perhaps?

No not at all like that. 
a literally public polling and voting and petitioning .. and actual people. 

Just now, titanruss said:

No not at all like that. 
a literally public polling and voting and petitioning .. and actual people. 

I know I know I'm being snarky.

My biggest beef with the House of Representatives is the effect of districting.  I'd much prefer proportional voting on say a state level.  Run the candidates on the state level, and pick the ones with the most popular appeal.  Carving up districts makes it always about gerrymandering.

It would be interesting to have a direct voting branch instead of a representative.  Though in that case ballot design becomes the battle ground.  i.e. "Do you want to increase police department funding?  Or do you want to pay the police more?"  That sort of abuse isn't easy either.

Yep, I think he will cede some areas of executive power back to Congress which have been usurped over the years.

I think he will restore the norm of allowing Congress to decide on making war. 

Seems we'd be trying to fix it after the fact.  Let's have better presidential candidates.  I'm all for trying to integrate some type of personality test screening.  Companies make it part of the hiring process for lots of jobs. just sayin'

Edited by begooode

After the war, I'm all for Biden only having 1 term and then a replacement Democrat leader taking control.

We need leaders.

We have none.

12 hours ago, begooode said:

Seems we'd be trying to fix it after the fact.  Let's have better presidential candidates.  I'm all for trying to integrate some type of personality test screening.  Companies make it part of the hiring process for lots of jobs. just sayin'

The job of POTUS needs slightly higher qualifications and more pay to attract more quality people. 

11 minutes ago, luvyablue256 said:

The job of POTUS needs slightly higher qualifications and more pay to attract more quality people. 

The job of POTUS should be decided by a real election.  Do away with the idiotic electoral college and you'll see both sides send better candidates.