Joe Biden is now running on arguably the most progressive policy platform of any Democratic nominee in history

OILERMAN

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/21257648/joe-biden-climate-economy-tax-plans

Not a joke, folks: He’s running on a transformative policy agenda.

A big minimum wage increase

Biden’s commitment to raising the federal minimum wage from its current $7.25 to $15 an hour is one of the least talked-about plans at stake in the 2020 election.

Free college for most

Biden supports the College for All Act, which Sanders and Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced in 2017. The act would provide matching grants to states that want to eliminate tuition at public colleges and universities for any student coming from a household with less than $125,000 in income.

Enhancing the Affordable Care Act

Public option

Dramatic transformation of federal housing policy

A huge financial boost to schools with low-income students

K-12 education hasn’t been on the political radar that much over the past few years, but Biden is running on a pledge to triple the money the federal government sends to low-income schools and districts from about $16 billion per year to about $48 billion.

A labor-friendly climate agenda

Major commitments on union organizing

Biden has a big Plan A to support organized labor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean obviously this is a fair point but it doesn't do anything to address the overall concern.  The best thing about 4 years of Joe Biden is that it won't be 4 more years of Trump.  

In the meantime, the stitching on the Trump family flag came undone last night and one of the strips slipped:

Fine. I get it. You want America to continue to borrow a trillion dollars a year while the wealthy party on...   This isn’t fucking morality. It’s about funding the fucking country.

Same questions for him as for Bernie.  A, how much of this can he actually get passed.  B, what's the realistic plan to actually pay for this that won't cripple us as we come out of an economic recession.  

3 hours ago, Justafan said:

Same questions for him as for Bernie.  A, how much of this can he actually get passed.  B, what's the realistic plan to actually pay for this that won't cripple us as we come out of an economic recession.  

Without filibuster reform most of this is not going to pass

4 hours ago, Justafan said:

All of his plans are paid for - he doesn't release any plans without having a plan to pay for them. This includes new taxes like eliminating the FICA income cap, raising taxes on the wealthy, raising the capital gains tax rate on the wealthy and raising the corporate income tax rate. 

5 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Jesus.  While I agree in principle with some of this, it's just taken to the extreme.

Don'y worry. Half that shit has no chance to pass a Democratic held congress. The Moderates won't allow it. Hell I suspect Biden knows this and is just pandering to the crunchies.

20 minutes ago, tgo said:

All of his plans are paid for - he doesn't release any plans without having a plan to pay for them. This includes new taxes like eliminating the FICA income cap, raising taxes on the wealthy, raising the capital gains tax rate on the wealthy and raising the corporate income tax rate. 

I said realistic plan that will ACTUALLY pay for it.  Not a pipe dream that will never pass and would likely never make up for the increased spending even if it did.  

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

I said realistic plan that will ACTUALLY pay for it.  Not a pipe dream that will never pass and would likely never make up for the increased spending even if it did.  

Oh, well most of it is unlikely to pass at all, so the provisions to pay for them wouldn't pass either obviously. 

All of his policy proposals are fully paid for and carefully crafted using the PAYGO concept. 

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

Also even with filibuster reform there’s only so much bandwidth to pass bills so there’s no way they’d pass legislation on all these topics.   

Plus you’d think some kind of large bill to address Covid and the economic fallout will probably be the #1 priority. That will eat up a lot of time and effort. 

I could see smaller bits and pieces of this agenda being worked into that big bill though. 

17 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

It’s very important to have a way to pay for your imaginary plans that have no shot of passing. 

This is my point though.  The platform can't be passed and even if it could, the plan to pay for it isn't feasible.  This is supposed to inspire confidence?

9 minutes ago, Justafan said:

This is my point though.  The platform can't be passed and even if it could, the plan to pay for it isn't feasible.  This is supposed to inspire confidence?

How is repealing the Trump tax cuts for the wealthy and raising capital gains or eliminating FICA or raising corporate rates not feasible? 

It would take killing the filibuster, but that may be something that Biden/Schumer move on after awhile.