How will the departure of Dean Pees affect the Titan's defense?

freakingeek

2 hours ago, titanruss said:

Vrabel may be able to call the D and do it well. But he hasn’t proven it in the past and almost every Head coach that tries to call defense fails. 

It’s a really worry. It’s a lot to take on and he’s not as smart as Billicheck. 

Who do we have on D staff that can call plays If Vrabel shows he needs to focus solely on HC

Does Jrob tell him if he’s fucking up and needs to take the step back? How does that work with Vrabels ego? 

You hope for the best bit you can easily see how it goes to shit. 

You make some real solid points, we just have to wait see.  We saw him vexing the hell out of BB in the playoff game.  He seems to be able to chew bubble gum and walk across the street at the same time.  Best I have done is get to the middle..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the biggest concern of mine going into the season.

I think the impact is minimal.  Vrabel knows the defense in and out and already was hands on with the game plan.  He hand picked Pees and I trust him to make it work. 

There has been a lot of speculation and discussion about the free agent signings, the draft and the departure of Casey and Ryan and how that will affect the Titans ability to remain competitive this c

I do agree, we've historically done a good job with halftime adjustments. The question I always asked myself is why did we have to pivot so much in the 2nd half? Why couldn't we do a better job in coming up with initial game plans that slowed offenses down in the 1st half? 

I have no idea what the loss of Pees will do to the defense. It is a concern of mine that Vrabel will be even more distracted with his in game decisions. I am willing to give the staff the benefit of the doubt. 

9 hours ago, Number9 said:

You make some real solid points, we just have to wait see.  We saw him vexing the hell out of BB in the playoff game.  He seems to be able to chew bubble gum and walk across the street at the same time.  Best I have done is get to the middle..

I think he can out coach bill 1v1 because he knows his tendencies so well and is extra motivated to beat him. .. but that doesn’t mean he’s smarter than him on the whole yet. He definitely hasn’t proven he can call the Defense to the same level yet or take on the extra load. 

I have faith he could do that one day.. just seems early to hand him the reins unless we have a solid backup plan and it’s been discussed with all parties already. 

5 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I think he can out coach bill 1v1 because he knows his tendencies so well and is extra motivated to beat him. .. but that doesn’t mean he’s smarter than him on the whole yet. He definitely hasn’t proven he can call the Defense to the same level yet or take on the extra load. 

I have faith he could do that one day.. just seems early to hand him the reins unless we have a solid backup plan and it’s been discussed with all parties already. 

I feel like - at least with this FO - there is already a plan in place, and if they weren't confident in it, they wouldn't be implementing what they are.

They had to know Pees would be retiring, so I'm sure they made a backup plan.  I'm willing to give them the benefit until it's proven otherwise.  The FO has earned that.

32 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I feel like - at least with this FO - there is already a plan in place, and if they weren't confident in it, they wouldn't be implementing what they are.

They had to know Pees would be retiring, so I'm sure they made a backup plan.  I'm willing to give them the benefit until it's proven otherwise.  The FO has earned that.

I actually feel the same way about the FO and their planning. So I won’t judge. It just seems like it could be a much much bigger deal than it’s made out to be. 

Some of these hot takes are hilarious......Vrabel is not some moron and using the injury riddled Texans year and 1.5 games is an incredibly small sample size that totally ignores the talent side of the equation.   Schwartz didn't become a moron DC once the talent level here went straight to hell in 2001 (secondary injuries), 2004-2006....Kind of like Arthur Smith wasn't the idiot he was portrayed as in the first six game and suddenly became smart in week 7.......

The facts are:

• Vrabel is as smart as Robinson when it comes to football.  In fact, when it comes to actual X's and O's and on field strategy, he's smarter.....
  • There have been plenty of HC's that have called the defensive plays.  Wade Phillips, Mike Zimmer, Ron Rivera, Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan, Belichick called the defensive plays at NE in 2010/2011 and did some of it last year. 
  • Besides point two, It's unknown that Vrabel will actually BE the defensive play caller.  NE has had assistants w/o the DC title calling the plays for the last few seasons.

51 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Some of these hot takes are hilarious......Vrabel is not some moron and using the injury riddled Texans year and 1.5 games is an incredibly small sample size that totally ignores the talent side of the equation.   Schwartz didn't become a moron DC once the talent level here went straight to hell in 2001 (secondary injuries), 2004-2006....Kind of like Arthur Smith wasn't the idiot he was portrayed as in the first six game and suddenly became smart in week 7.......

The facts are:

• Vrabel is as smart as Robinson when it comes to football.  In fact, when it comes to actual X's and O's and on field strategy, he's smarter.....
  • There have been plenty of HC's that have called the defensive plays.  Wade Phillips, Mike Zimmer, Ron Rivera, Lovie Smith, Rex Ryan, Belichick called the defensive plays at NE in 2010/2011 and did some of it last year. 
  • Besides point two, It's unknown that Vrabel will actually BE the defensive play caller.  NE has had assistants w/o the DC title calling the plays for the last few seasons.

The last point is probably going overlooked. We have no idea how many people will actually be involved in the play calling/planning. Vrabel is just the headpiece. 

One thing we do know is Vrabel is hands on and totally engaged with every aspect of the Titans (which is a very Belichick trait) and will have a say in game planning and halftime changes. The “during the game” play caller is just implementing the game plan the defensive staff puts together. 

3 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

One thing we do know is Vrabel is hands on and totally engaged with every aspect of the Titans (which is a very Belichick trait) and will have a say in game planning and halftime changes. The “during the game” play caller is just implementing the game plan the defensive staff puts together. 

And Vrabel has been doing so since he came here.....

4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Vrabel straight up said he'd call plays.

Football for Dummies.  (me)

How does a HC call the defense?  

Pees was in the coaches box.  He has his staff with him and they are going over what's happening on the field.  Pees sends down the play.  They also send down shots of how different players are lined up.  Mostly you see the offense doing this.   They spend time planning the next series and making in game adjustments.  How will it work with Vrabel on the sideline?  How much is lost with his time spent keeping up with the offense?

Edited by Number9