How will the departure of Dean Pees affect the Titan's defense?

freakingeek

It will absolutely affect the defense.  With Pees, the Titans had one of the best halftime adjustment coaches...I don't want to say ever, but look back at our defense as it came out after halftime...it's kinda insane.  I also worry about Vrabel taking over as I never thought too much of him when he was in Texas.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the biggest concern of mine going into the season.

I think the impact is minimal.  Vrabel knows the defense in and out and already was hands on with the game plan.  He hand picked Pees and I trust him to make it work. 

There has been a lot of speculation and discussion about the free agent signings, the draft and the departure of Casey and Ryan and how that will affect the Titans ability to remain competitive this c

I love the notion, that Vrabel , a hands on coach if ever there was one, and who has coached and played defense on every level including as a NFL DC, was sitting there not paying attention checking his social media while Pees was making all those half time adjustments.

1 minute ago, chef said:

I think it's one thing to pay attention, take notes and comprehend said adjustments.

It's a whole other thing to come up with them and implement then during a 15 minute break.

That is not an insult to Vrabel, it's a compliment to Pees.  Also, the idea that Vrabel is supposed to consistently do this while also being the HC is a bit nuts.  Not even a knock on Haslett, but the concept that these are all vet, smart coaches can b plug n play is absurd based on our own years of evidence watching our team be the one to so often NOT adjust at halftime.   Sometimes one coach really does outsmart another.  Sometimes, as in, often.

Agreed, but it's also putting the cart in front of the horse to assume he won't be able to do it based on one year of being a DC on an injury riddled Texans team unable to hold on to the ball without their star QB. People do grow, and he was always known as a QB of the Pats good defenses.

Just now, No1TitansFan said:

Agreed, but it's also putting the cart in front of the horse to assume he won't be able to do it based on one year of being a DC on an injury riddled Texans team unable to hold on to the ball without their star QB. People do grow, and he was always known as a QB of the Pats good defenses.

Again not a knock on Vrabel and not holding the Texans def ranking against him.  Just the idea of him doing what Pees did while also being HC seems unfair and unlikely.

Also Pees I think was underappreciated in general around the league,  by most fans at the very least.  His time with the Ravens overshadowed by the players, and by Bellichek when with the Pats.  And just never had the high media profile of an ex-HC or else guys like the Ryan brothers. 

1 hour ago, No1TitansFan said:

I love the notion, that Vrabel , a hands on coach if ever there was one, and who has coached and played defense on every level including as a NFL DC, was sitting there not paying attention checking his social media while Pees was making all those half time adjustments.

But it’s not just watching and copying someone. These great DCs have a feel for what’s going to happen in certain situations that’s hard to replicate. We wont be a bad defense but Haslett isn’t in the same league as Pees. Haslett had some success in Pittsburgh under Cowher but that was eons ago. 

Edited by japan

6 hours ago, BudAdams said:

So you are going to make a judgement based on part of one game against a team that they never beat with Luck under center?   FWIW they didn't play much better versus Indy in the game that Pees did call......

If Vrabel is such a moron, then why is he here?

You don’t remember the week after either? Pretty bad. go watch it again. 

Vrabel may be able to call the D and do it well. But he hasn’t proven it in the past and almost every Head coach that tries to call defense fails. 

It’s a really worry. It’s a lot to take on and he’s not as smart as Billicheck. 

Who do we have on D staff that can call plays If Vrabel shows he needs to focus solely on HC

Does Jrob tell him if he’s fucking up and needs to take the step back? How does that work with Vrabels ego? 

You hope for the best bit you can easily see how it goes to shit. 

5 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

I have a lot of faith in Jrob and his understanding of football.  His first HC hire, he hired two current NFL HC.  I think he knows the game and this isn't a "hey, I'm your boy, let me try."  This is a championship contender and they decided this is the route they want to go.