Biden Cabinet: Confirmation Hearings Underway

tgo

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is really rich coming from a Trump ball licker.

I actually like the barrage of tweets from @tgo. It lets me get a quick 10 minute update on what I missed. 

Honestly, I think it's pervasive in the lower ranks and more nuanced in the upper ranks.  Just like any other facet of life, everyone has bias.  For instance, most of the upper echelons of the Army ar

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Kasich sucks. Hard to believe any Democrat actually likes him outside of using him to win this election. 

He believes in social programs and believes in helping people, believes in civil rights and the American creed, believes in acting on climate change,  its not like he’s a bad or greedy person.  He’s been one of the few in the Republican political class willing to stand up to Trump every step of the way and pay the price for it. 

It’s a good thing to have a big tent as a party. We’re building a “coalition of conscience” as Harris said and as Bernie said last night, policy differences aside. 

Edited by tgo

3 hours ago, tgo said:

He believes in social programs and believes in helping people, believes in civil rights and the American creed, believes in acting on climate change,  its not like he’s a bad or greedy person.  He’s been one of the few in the Republican political class willing to stand up to Trump every step of the way and pay the price for it. 

It’s a good thing to have a big tent as a party. We’re building a “coalition of conscience” as Harris said and as Bernie said last night, policy differences aside. 

Unless they're poor black voters who have traditionally voted on Sunday polling days against Republicans.

Kasich is quite conservative on most issues. I'm glad he wants to support Biden to get rid of Trump but he has no place in the Democratic party after Trump is gone. This isn't about me excluding him. He won't want to join the Democratic party!

In Europe he would be a member of a Christian Democrat party and would sometimes make a coalition with the left and right parties, but this isn't Europe. These people have decided the GOP is their party, and there's not much sign they really want to join our party.

Those people tend to favor the GOP in America, and it took Trump for Kasich to endorse a Democrat (still no interest in joining the party). Romney could be similar, but the most he does is speak out against Trump (which should be a pretty low bar).

I think they would rather try to reclaim the GOP than join as a bit player in the Democratic party.

Maybe in an alternate universe where we have many parties Kasich is more moderate or even liberal with regard to social programs, but in our reality he is just not on the same page as even the most conservative Democrats.

In his 2016 platform he wanted to balance the budget, lower taxes, increase military spending and "freeze" mandatory spending. If you read between the lines you will see that this results in huge cuts to social programs. He (again, like Romney) might be good with helping people because of their Christian morals, but they tend to think that the government is not the right way to do it.

Also, these are some issues I think would be deal breakers (both from current Democrats and from his perspective)

Abortion:

• abortions should only be performed in cases of rape, incest, and when the mother's life is in danger.

Police/Criminal justice:

• Pro-private prisons

Drugs:

• recreational drugs shouldn't be legal
  • compared weed to heroin

Schools:

• Decreased funding for public schools
  • supports teaching alternatives to evolution, such as intelligent design

Foreign policy:

• Strong supporter of Iraq war
  • opposed Iran deal
  • Wants to dramatically raise military spending

He also generally wants to defer to states and to decrease he scope of the federal government.

Edited by Titans279

4 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Kasich is quite conservative on most issues. I'm glad he wants to support Biden to get rid of Trump but he has no place in the Democratic party after Trump is gone. This isn't about me excluding him. He won't want to join the Democratic party!

In Europe he would be a member of a Christian Democrat party and would sometimes make a coalition with the left and right parties, but this isn't Europe. These people have decided the GOP is their party, and there's not much sign they really want to join our party.

Those people tend to favor the GOP in America, and it took Trump for Kasich to endorse a Democrat (still no interest in joining the party). Romney could be similar, but the most he does is speak out against Trump (which should be a pretty low bar).

I think they would rather try to reclaim the GOP than join as a bit player in the Democratic party.

Maybe in an alternate universe where we have many parties Kasich is more moderate or even liberal with regard to social programs, but in our reality he is just not on the same page as even the most conservative Democrats.

In his 2016 platform he wanted to balance the budget, lower taxes, increase military spending and "freeze" mandatory spending. If you read between the lines you will see that this results in huge cuts to social programs. He (again, like Romney) might be good with helping people because of their Christian morals, but they tend to think that the government is not the right way to do it.

Also, these are some issues I think would be deal breakers (both from current Democrats and from his perspective)

Abortion:

• abortions should only be performed in cases of rape, incest, and when the mother's life is in danger.

Police/Criminal justice:

• Pro-private prisons

Drugs:

• recreational drugs shouldn't be legal
  • compared weed to heroin

Schools:

• Decreased funding for public schools
  • supports teaching alternatives to evolution, such as intelligent design

Foreign policy:

• Strong supporter of Iraq war
  • opposed Iran deal
  • Wants to dramatically raise military spending

He also generally wants to defer to states and to decrease he scope of the federal government.

Why would he have to join the democratic party? Did Robert Gates? Of course not.

Yeah I don’t think Kasich is going to be joining the Demcratic Party by any means, nor should he. It’s much better to show that the anti-Trump Biden coalition  has significant Republican support as well. It gives more cover for Republicans to defect and to show them they’re not alone. 

We can argue over policy after we’ve saved the country from fascism. 

As for the policy positions you outlined, I disagree with them (some of them vehemently) but non of them are like despicable, totally beyond the pale, unAmerican positions or anything, like what we’ve seen from Trump and his ilk. They’re basically old-school Republican positions. 

Edited by tgo

29 minutes ago, tgo said:

As for the policy positions you outlined, I disagree with them (some of them vehemently) but non of them are like despicable, totally beyond the pale, unAmerican positions or anything, like what we’ve seen from Trump and his ilk. They’re basically old-school Republican positions. 

I don't think I ever said they were anti-American.

What expertise does he have that we can't get elsewhere that makes him worth putting in the administration given that his basic philosophy is different than what the Democratic party stands for? I assume he would be in the executive branch administrating a domestic policy agency (or a domestic policy advisor). Does anyone want his foreign policy takes anymore?? He hasn't been in that world for 20 years.

Not sure which one he aligns with Joe Biden on. Even his climate change takes which he recently changed are very conservative compared to Biden.

@oldschoolGates is in national security in which there is far less fundamental disagreement between parties. Also he was already in government. Obama kept him on for continuity. Keeping someone on in a critical capacity makes a lot more sense than adding in someone randomly. You'd be bringing him in on the basis of his administrative skills. Why not bring in someone in your party who can build critical experience instead of Kasich?

@tgo Also not sure why we can talk about the cabinet but we have to wait for the election to talk policy. Actually, I know why!

Edited by Titans279

On 8/14/2020 at 3:24 AM, tgo said:

BTW this is what made me talk about him joining the party. How is he in the tent if he's not in the party? I already said I'm happy to have him with us voting out Trump. Having him in the administration is another thing though.

20 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I don't think I ever said they were anti-American.

What expertise does he have that we can't get elsewhere that makes him worth putting in the administration given that his basic philosophy is different than what the Democratic party stands for? I assume he would be in the executive branch administrating a domestic policy agency (or a domestic policy advisor). Does anyone want his foreign policy takes anymore?? He hasn't been in that world for 20 years.

Not sure which one he aligns with Joe Biden on. Even his climate change takes which he recently changed are very conservative compared to Biden.

@oldschoolGates is in national security in which there is far less fundamental disagreement between parties. Also he was already in government. Obama kept him on for continuity. Keeping someone on in a critical capacity makes a lot more sense than adding in someone randomly. You'd be bringing him in on the basis of his administrative skills. Why not bring in someone in your party who can build critical experience instead of Kasich?

@tgo Also not sure why we can talk about the cabinet but we have to wait for the election to talk policy. Actually, I know why!

I'm actually not advocating for Kasich to be in the administration. My comment a few days ago was based on the fact he's clearly doing more than just saying he supports Biden. Speaking at the convention is a big deal. And since tgo is a super biden nerd I was curious what his thoughts were on Kasich.

@Titans279 We can talk policy, I just meant in terms of fighting a Dem civil war or attacking moderate anti Trump Republicans. 

As far as Kasich, I don’t think he’ll be in the cabinet, but I’m glad he’s speaking at the convention. I’d be fine with him being in the cabinet, just doubt it comes to fruition. 

If any Republicans join the administration, it’s more likely to be longtime Biden friend Ray LaHood at Transportation, or Chuck Hagel as Army Secretary or something. Or William McRaven in an intel spot, or Bob McDonald/Sloan Gibson at VA.

Could always see a Patreus comeback at CIA or something too. Or Hayden in an intel role. 

Bob Gates and Biden do not get along btw. 

Edited by tgo

20 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Let's try to have as few people over 70 as possible imo. LaHood is 74

Hah it’s unlikely, just a possibility. I think he’ll put rising diverse stars in the lower tier cabinet spots.

Otherwise the oldest cabinet members could be Kerry at State or Energy, or Dodd at Commerce. I bet Dodd will be more of an outside advisor though, esp with the lobbying ban. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • tgo changed the title to Biden Cabinet: Confirmation Hearings Underway