Is the roster better or worse than last season?

18 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Not really arguing anything-- just expressing an opinion. The ongoing discussion was about needing a true speed receiver to stretch the field... and all I can think about is how easily Gronk, Hernandez and Edelman (with Amendola and Welker before him) could got open so effortlessly it seemed.

You're right it is complex and I guess I think route running finishes about last in the considerations because it just ain't that complicated to run any route as long as you run the right one. I'm of the opinion that other factors count more in having a dynamic passing attack.

Route running is more than just running around on the field. You have to have coverage awareness, understand leverage, release technique, spacial awareness etc. You cant run a complex passing scheme with players that dont understand those things or cant do them. The guys you listed from the patriots all had those traits.

Edited by CaliTitan3518

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on the playoff roster, I’d have to say better.   Add Beasley at OLB. Butler replaces Ryan plus they added Fulton. A healthy Humphreys replaces Sharpe. Evans replaces Lewis at RB. Conklin

1 hour ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

Route running is more than just running around on the field. You have to have coverage awareness, understand leverage, release technique, spacial awareness etc. You cant run a complex passing scheme with players that dont understand those things or cant do them. The guys you listed from the patriots all had those traits.

I've always liked the Keystone Cops over the West Coast offense.... :)

1 hour ago, charleytolar said:

... because it just ain't that complicated to run any route as long as you run the right one. 

Try running 7.5 yards at full speed in one direction, then making a 75-degree turn (not 70 or 80) - without any kind of physical indication of such a turn beforehand - and turning your head at the correct moment - a half second too early and you tip the defender off and a half second too late and you miss the pass.

With pads.

And with someone doing everything they can to prevent you from running that route correctly. And where running too fast or too slow puts you in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

It is way, way more than just "Hey, just run to that spot, then that spot. That's the route." It's refined body control, correct speed, strength, timing, and balance.

I'd say the roster should be way better. 

It starts with Tannehill starting the season as the starting QB. Lewan is also not suspended this season to start the season. Imagine last year the first month of the season the team was without Tannehill and Lewan. Mariota and Kelly at LT were scrubs. 

The biggest roster improvement will likely be from the 2nd year players. Simmons, Brown, Davis(who came on late), Hooker, David Long and we'll see on Walker. Robinson totally nailed the draft last season. Walker is going to be the player I pay the most attention to in camp and preseason. 

Humphries and Butler return from injuries. Humphries should really be a weapon now with Tannehill at QB. 

Darrynton Evans should be a big upgrade to Lewis. I think he'll step in and contribute right away and make big plays

I really don't know what to expect from Beasely but after Wake went down the Titans had no viable outside rusher minus Landry. 

The concerns are Fulton taking over for Ryan, there could be early struggles. The Titans exchange Casey with Crawford. Casey had really slipped but he still occasionally had dominant stretches. Of course if the Titans land Clowney the group becomes a big upgrade. The team also has no back-up QB or kicker. Of course they had neither last season either. 

I, too, will say roster is overall better. 

Yr 2 Simmons will take most of Casey's snaps 

Combination of healthy Butler/Fulton will upgrade CB
Yr2 AJ Brown > Yr 1 AJ Brown

Beasley > (insert any Titans EDGE here) 
Evans > Lewis

Many different Titans had very strong late season play. Lets hope the late season play is the new normal going forward. 

Conk is a loss, but I have high hopes for Wilson. 

18 hours ago, siamesedinasour said:

It is way, way more than just "Hey, just run to that spot, then that spot. That's the route." It's refined body control, correct speed, strength, timing, and balance.

I'm pretty sure most rostered WRs and PCTEs in the NFL are pretty good at just those things. Some are better and some are worse, for sure, but all are pretty good or they won't last in the league. I don't see a leaps and bounds difference when watching receivers.

8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

I'm pretty sure most rostered WRs and PCTEs in the NFL are pretty good at just those things. Some are better and some are worse, for sure, but all are pretty good or they won't last in the league. I don't see a leaps and bounds difference when watching receivers.

8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

You said, "it ain't complicated." It is. Even for NFL WRs. It usually separates the good ones from the bad ones.

1 minute ago, siamesedinasour said:

You said, "it ain't complicated." It is. Even for NFL WRs. It usually separates the good ones from the bad ones.

I don't think that those things are "complicated." Some may be better or worse at certain aspects but I'm not seeing a gulf of differential. I guess you do. I think other factors loom larger.

I can’t believe I’m reading that someone thinks route running isn’t complicated and is actually downplaying it’s significance. 

route running/catching are the two biggest things for a Wr. Route running may be king at times because a great route runner will cause ridiculous separation. 

no wonder you get railed on, charley. Don’t make it so easy. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, charleytolar said:

That is what "scheming" refers to. What do you think Brady was talking about if not that?

Learn to communicate Tolar...

Yes this roster as a whole is much better than last years. 

I’m not confident in Raymond as the 4th WR, but the staff is apparently, and they are also high on Batson who seemingly appears as our #5 WR... I would be much more comfortable if they brought a veteran WR in to be the #4 and let the vet fight with Raymond and Batson for the 4,5,6 slots. 

Also want them to bring a vet QB in to back RT up, and I hope they bring a vet CB in even though they just signed Jonathon Joseph who will fight with Smith for the #4 CB spot as the primary backup outside. If Butler/Jackson goes down I expect them to shift Fulton out there and either Hooker or Cruikshank will play the nickel, maybe Joseph considering he is a vet and may be limited athletically but he knows how to play the game and has great technique. So maybe if the opposing slot WR is not a burner like Ruggs he would be fine matched up with a WR that’s going to run a 4.5 or something. Joseph was extremely athletic coming into the league so I expect he still has some athleticism or he wouldn’t be still playing 

I love the DL depth mainly bc of Simmons taking the leap, and Jones being a very solid player who I thought would be cut or restructured way before Casey would, along with Murchison who I think is going to really surprise the board with his play. Guys like Mack and Dickerson and Crawford are as good as you can hope for your #4-6 DL