Vrabel: Still a meathead?

Denali

4 hours ago, Makaveli said:

To be honest I think Vrabel is only as good as his coordinators are. I still don't fully believe in him. He has a heck of a GM providing talent and scouting. He is a motivational coach. Meaning he knows how to motivate a team to play through Ra-Ra speeches lol.

But we all know after awhile those coaches speeches and everything else eventually gets old. I'd feel more comfortable if he was an X's and O's type guy. I'm nervous to what our defense will look like under him. Hopefully we can win the big one a few times before he gets old.

What do you think he’s doing when he’s out there working one on one with the guys?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he's a really good coach and pretty smart   and a meathead

I think Vrabel's at a good point in his life to be a player's coach in the current league.  He's got the rings and the rep that makes players respect him.  He comes from the Bellicheck tree where ther

When I saw him on the draft and saw him pulling out that big wad of snuff I thought, what a meathead 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Munchak was a good coach with a bad QB.  I would argue they are very similar...and if the roles were reversed, we would be in the same situation.

Munchak wasn’t great. He had no chance of succeeding with his players and coordinators but he didn’t have any of the initiatives that Vrabel has had. Vrabel had a plan for having a multi front defense and having a highly efficient offense. He was very comfortable stepping into the JRob more analytical based scouting department and working with the GM. Munchak was in over his head. 

47 minutes ago, Thrill said:

Munchak wasn’t great. He had no chance of succeeding with his players and coordinators but he didn’t have any of the initiatives that Vrabel has had. Vrabel had a plan for having a multi front defense and having a highly efficient offense. He was very comfortable stepping into the JRob more analytical based scouting department and working with the GM. Munchak was in over his head. 

Munchak had no philosophy on either side of the ball 

A lot of players of come out and said that they thought Vrabel was one of the smartest coaches that they've worked with. I don't know if they're playing to his insecurities or not, but they said it. 

He's made some smart ass moves so far. Some bonehead choices too -- but I admire his courage.

Boy, remember the solid posters on here freaking out after Vrabel's first presser? 

And then the Mularkey lovers pushing the idea that the team was against Vrabel?  Going so far as to cite this picture as proof?  Laughable.

DUKwaTJW0AApRzI.jpg

Edited by japan

4 hours ago, japan said:

Boy, remember the solid posters on here freaking out after Vrabel's first presser? 

And then the Mularkey lovers pushing the idea that the team was against Vrabel?  Going so far as to cite this picture as proof?  Laughable.

DUKwaTJW0AApRzI.jpg

But..but.. pineapple tebow

On 5/3/2020 at 3:41 PM, Denali said:

Is Vrabel still a meathead?

You mean like Rob Reiner? I liked him as a player in NE, and as an assistant here in Houston. So far he has done very well in Tennessee.

16 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Munchak had no philosophy on either side of the ball 

You were against him from the beginning because you were butt-hurt Coach Ocho got shown the door.  You were also more of Rams fan after Fisher took his 'talents' there, which was funny because MM Titans beat your Coach Ocho Rams.

Vrabel is smart. He knows the game. He's paid attention to the people he could learn from. I love the way he stuck it BB's face with executing his trick plays against him and beating them in the playoffs in NE and pulling the Belichick "run the clock down taking timeouts with the lead" while doing it. And yes the guy is still a meathead. Apparently there are really smart meatheads, which I was not aware that was actually possible.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, AvgJoe said:

Vrabel's biggest test begins this year. The conservative offense has got to go. I'm not talking about not being a running team, I'm talking about the fact that when he has a 7+ point lead he goes conservative as if that will last even when it was the 1st half. Many will remember I kept posting in the game threads "go conservative and get your ass kicked." It almost cost us a playoff spot (I highly recommend you watch the Bucs game on GamePass) and it eventually led to our demise against the Chiefs. We got a 10 point lead on KC and Vrabel went completely away from Tannehill. 

Being an optimist, I have a feeling Vrabel will adapt. I'm hopeful the loss against KC and how close we got has festered his incredibly competitive personality. 

I agree,but our offesive coordinater doesn't make things any better the way he draws up conservative plays,

3 hours ago, japan said:

Several people.  I'm not saying it was you.

Of course it wasn't me but I don't remember anyone saying it

43 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Of course it wasn't me but I don't remember anyone saying it

I went back and looked.  Couple of people saying 'picture tells 1000 words.'  Amazing when you go back and reread the Vrabel hire stuff how many people were freaking over his initial presser.  A lot of the Mularkey crew circling citing how he and Robinson would have to do better than a playoff win.  Good thing they did!