Season Will Start On Time with Fans?

tgo

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

@tgo you are off your rocker dude. There is no way stadiums open with 60K fans in 4 months.

Well - tell the NFL (and Leigh Steinberg). That's what they want to do. I read this morning that owners would rather wait and start the season in November and have fans there than start the season on time or with a slight delay without fans. 

It's something like 3.5 billion in lost revenue, that's not a number they're going to accept imo

They may do spacing and only allow x number of fans in the stadium, but I don't see them playing games in stadiums with no fans. There's just way too much money to be had. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a chance they will allow full stadiums without a vaccine. That’s just stupid as all hell. 

Do you all know anybody dead from COVID-19 yet? Because you are talking like you don't. It's still abstract.   I now know of at least 8 people in my circle dead (I'm in NYC). Off the top of

Fixed

Posted Images

On 5/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, ctm said:

So what happens when a few players test positive?  How fast does it spread among their teammates?  Will another team want to play them the coming week?

More importantly what happens if a player or member of a team dies from this shit? There are young people who have died from him and there’s a few thousand NFL players. So the odds aren’t exactly impossible

On 5/2/2020 at 7:20 PM, OzTitan said:

The US is no longer on the exponential path but it isn't seeing new case numbers falling off the face of the earth like some countries are - it could be the US is just behind or is just struggling. Either way, whether you have a lot of new cases daily or very few right now, by September any country could have it accelerating exponentially again. Nothing has changed as far as the virus is concerned - there haven't been enough infected yet to really curb its spread on another go around. Ironically more cases now could mean a better chance of games in September.

I'm with AvgJoe in that I think the US in particular will have had enough by then and things will have to be normal-ish again, at least for enough people that either have had it, or think they've had it. Enough people will probably not suffer the consequences for it to be considered a genuine disaster and wound back again.

Deaths per day are still going up.

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

Well - tell the NFL (and Leigh Steinberg). That's what they want to do. I read this morning that owners would rather wait and start the season in November and have fans there than start the season on time or with a slight delay without fans. 

It's something like 3.5 billion in lost revenue, that's not a number they're going to accept imo

They may do spacing and only allow x number of fans in the stadium, but I don't see them playing games in stadiums with no fans. There's just way too much money to be had. 

Bill Simmons offered that they could potentially offset some of the lost revenue from attendance by rewriting the tv contracts and playing games on saturdays and multiple games on mondays. 

But if they decide to hold the games with fan attendance all the season ticket holders have already payed up. So they probably get roughly 50-60% ticket sales regardless of how many people actually come.

Just now, Thrill said:

Bill Simmons offered that they could potentially offset some of the lost revenue from attendance by rewriting the tv contracts and playing games on saturdays and multiple games on mondays. 

But if they decide to hold the games with fan attendance all the season ticket holders have already payed up. So they probably get roughly 50-60% ticket sales regardless of how many people actually come.

Iam not a psl holder but if I was I would be fuckong pissed if they did not roll the tickets over to the next year. If they have no fans that is, hell, even if they do the lack of people wanting to go would drive prices down. Would not be able to make your cash back.

There will be no packed stadiums. Pushing the season back is just as dumb if not more so. Yeah, packed stadiums of possible Corona patients mixing with the flu is an excellent idea. 

Honestly, fuck any one of the owners pushing for this. Oh, 3.2 billion must be a ton for people who are already billionaires. They can fuck right off. 

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

There will be no packed stadiums. Pushing the season back is just as dumb if not more so. Yeah, packed stadiums of possible Corona patients mixing with the flu is an excellent idea. 

Honestly, fuck any one of the owners pushing for this. Oh, 3.2 billion must be a ton for people who are already billionaires. They can fuck right off. 

Yeah, certainly not the best idea. 

Btw, I'm not saying what I think should happen. I'm just saying what I think will happen based on how these greedy NFL owners are. Remember, many of them are Trump donors and many are partisan Republicans. They're not going to be highly incentivized to put their greed aside, especially with Trump telling them he wants the season open on time in full force and without pre-entrance testing as stadiums. 

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah, certainly not the best idea. 

Btw, I'm not saying what I think should happen. I'm just saying what I think will happen based on how these greedy NFL owners are. Remember, many of them are Trump donors and many are partisan Republicans. They're not going to be highly incentivized to put their greed aside, especially with Trump telling them he wants the season open on time in full force and without pre-entrance testing as stadiums. 

I know amigo. I’ve followed along with this thread. The entire time you’ve said this is what they’re pushing for. It’s simply crazy to me when thinking about it all. 

Don't think there's any chance it resumes normally.  They may have SOME fans at some point but there are not getting packed stadiums.  The one advantage the NFL has is it's fall start date.  They can always push it back and modify if there's a 2nd wave or COVID doesn't taper down.

1 hour ago, nine said:

I could see it happening if the league makes sweeping changes  to the seating arrangements to allow for social  distancing....but increased spacing would only allow for maybe 20,000 seats per game instead of 60K+.  

Ticket sales to season ticket/PSL holders only....possibly with a limit on the number of games they’re allowed to purchase to ensure that everyone gets an opportunity. 

Fans could order concessions via an app with food/drinks being delivered to their seats.  

Even if they did all that, there would still be crowds at bathrooms as well as entering and leaving the stadium. Not to mention the possibility of infected food service people.

Having fans there simply isn’t going to be safe.