Anybody watching The last Kingdom new season?

freakingeek

I love this series. I'm a history buff anyway and the show depicts actual history pretty accurately. These people were friggin brutal,  especially the Viking Danes. Rape and pillage is too mild a term.

I actually just started.  I'm in season 2 at the moment...enjoying it so far.  Interestingly enough, the new Assassin's Creed game is set in the same area, and you will be playing from the Viking perspective.  Apparently, you will be able to raid villages, create settlements, and solve issues using politics as opposed to force.  Assassin's Creed Origins did an incredible job with some of the historical parts of the game, so I'm excited to see what they do with this one. 

I quickly went through the 1st 2 seasons after they'd already been released, but when 3 came out I think I was just too busy and saw maybe 2 episodes and never got back into it.  I told the girlfriend she should watch it so might go through it again with her.  Rewatched very 1st episode and recalled how much I liked it. 

And though I wouldn't really call it too accurate (way off in weapons, an very often in clothing .... I forgive that to budget), but it does show some some real historical figures in a reasonably realistic portrayal, and does a great job of conveying some aspects of living in that time period to the viewer.

AND they say arseling, which I think was accurate, so ...10 out of 10.  

Anyone read Cromwell's books?  Heard they were good.  I guess he was related to a real life Uhtred, albeit one who live 100+ years after these events and got inserted in the timeline since Screw It He Was My Relative.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, chef said:

I quickly went through the 1st 2 seasons after they'd already been released, but when 3 came out I think I was just too busy and saw maybe 2 episodes and never got back into it.  I told the girlfriend she should watch it so might go through it again with her.  Rewatched very 1st episode and recalled how much I liked it. 

And though I wouldn't really call it too accurate (way off in weapons, an very often in clothing .... I forgive that to budget), but it does show some some real historical figures in a reasonably realistic portrayal, and does a great job of conveying some aspects of living in that time period to the viewer.

AND they say arseling, which I think was accurate, so ...10 out of 10.  

Anyone read Cromwell's books?  Heard they were good.  I guess he was related to a real life Uhtred, albeit one who live 100+ years after these events and got inserted in the timeline since Screw It He Was My Relative.

Interesting. I hve thought about reading the book. More often than not, the book is better than the TV or movie script. I have gone back and watched the series from the beginning before I continue watching the new season. Mostly for my wife's benefit but I noticed a lot of things the second time sround that I didn't notice the first time. And yes arseling, it makes me laugh every time I hear it. 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:31 PM, freakingeek said:

I love this series. I'm a history buff anyway and the show depicts actual history pretty accurately. These people were friggin brutal,  especially the Viking Danes. Rape and pillage is too mild a term.

Yeah they were brutal.. but pretty sure those old stories are told from the perspective of the englishmen.

The english young / pretty women were often very happy to leave with the vikings. The men actually bathed a couple of times a week and took care of themselves. The women were more respected members of those societies as well. 

I had no idea how that part of the world evolved since "civilized man" took control. The guy with the most money and the biggest army had the power then too. Not much has changed on that front.

21 hours ago, freakingeek said:

I had no idea how that part of the world evolved since "civilized man" took control. The guy with the most money and the biggest army had the power then too. Not much has changed on that front.

My view of the world now. If you want something, you better drag your ass out and get it. 

Archived