What is left to do this offseason

With the first couple of waves of FA and the draft now behind us there are still a few things on the roster that could be addressed.

Clowney is obviously the big target left in FA, if JRob can sign Clowney that would really be the icing on the cake for a pretty solid offseason, given the absence of any offseaon program before training camp keeping the offense intact is a major positive.

One sneaky need is ILB depth there isn't much there behind Evans/Brown/Long would be surprised if a veteran isn't signed before training camp.

Could also see a cheap veteran added at both WR and RB depending on who is available.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I said it in another thread, I would see if the Bengals would take a late 2021 pick for John Ross. He looked good when healthy last year and obviously has the speed the WR room lacks right now. He mig

Signing or not signing Clowney has no bearing on the Casey trade. Bottom line is that Casey is trending downward and made a lot of money. Getting rid of him a year early is better than keeping him a y

Simmons replaced Casey

10 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I think we will sign a vet at RB. We can’t count on a rookie in a shortened offseason for pass protection. 

Could we not use Blasingame for pass protection? I think he's due for a larger role in 2020, IMO. In very limited action he seemed serviceable in the passing game. We liked him enough to try and sign him after last year's draft, then finally acquiring him late last year.

13 minutes ago, Guts said:

Could we not use Blasingame for pass protection? I think he's due for a larger role in 2020, IMO. In very limited action he seemed serviceable in the passing game. We liked him enough to try and sign him after last year's draft, then finally acquiring him late last year.

Sure, but I doubt that will be the route we take. He did show off some nice hands, specifically one on a wheel route in a game I can’t remember, but I wouldn’t count on it. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

There are a ton of roleplayer types they could sign in FA still.  I could see them signing a CB, QB, RB, ILB, IOL, WR just to fill some niche roles on the roster.  I don't think they go after anyone they expect to make a significant impact beyond Clowney.  

Mostly, the team is intact as is.  With the shortened offseason, they will be hesitant to add too many guys late.  Of course there will be injuries and minor moves but I can't see any changes at starter positions beyond Clowney.

If they don't sign Clowney it puts a huge cloud over everything else they've done.  The Jurrell Casey move looks dumb.  The draft looks hollow.  The defense looks like it took a step back instead of a step forward.  They really need to get that guy in because it really is the linchpin of the entire offseason beyond the Tannehill/Henry stuff.  

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I said it in another thread, I would see if the Bengals would take a late 2021 pick for John Ross. He looked good when healthy last year and obviously has the speed the WR room lacks right now. He might fare better with limited reps. He projects to be their 5th WR

I have the same gut feeling,Ross healthy would be a speed threat that we dont have here and we could sign him for a bargain deal

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

I said it in another thread, I would see if the Bengals would take a late 2021 pick for John Ross. He looked good when healthy last year and obviously has the speed the WR room lacks right now. He might fare better with limited reps. He projects to be their 5th WR

I like this idea. Deep speed is the one thing missing from the offense. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Signing or not signing Clowney has no bearing on the Casey trade. Bottom line is that Casey is trending downward and made a lot of money. Getting rid of him a year early is better than keeping him a year too late. 

While I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, the overall talent of the DLine looks pretty pedestrian if you let Casey go AND don't get Clowney.  I get that you have Simmons and Jones in there but they aren't going to play all the snaps.  With Clowney, who can play inside and outside, it looks brilliant.  Without Clowney, it looks like maybe you should have waited one more season.  At the end of the day, Casey wasn't making or breaking the upcoming season so I get what you're saying but still....

12 minutes ago, Justafan said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, the overall talent of the DLine looks pretty pedestrian if you let Casey go AND don't get Clowney.  I get that you have Simmons and Jones in there but they aren't going to play all the snaps.  With Clowney, who can play inside and outside, it looks brilliant.  Without Clowney, it looks like maybe you should have waited one more season.  At the end of the day, Casey wasn't making or breaking the upcoming season so I get what you're saying but still....

Casey's cap hit this year was a huge issue for the production you get out of him. Sure he was very good against the Ravens in the playoffs but for the most part he was not a difference maker in 2019. knowing when you let fan/organization favorites move on is a big part of being a good GM.

During the 2017 Draft I kept calling John Ross by the nickname Mr. Glass. I wanted no part of him. But he is absolutely worth a flyer and worthy of sending that 6th rounder we acquired to Cincy. Speed.