UDFA Thread

tgo

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between tgo, Titanskick, and Aussie we are a lucky group of fans.

How often do we talk about grabbing some highly ranked UDFA and they actually make the roster? It’s pretty rare. Usually the guy who makes the roster is someone you had never heard of.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

They had him on ESPN today late in the draft for a fairly long interview. Good to see him doing well in his chosen profession.

Saw it.  He should be able to get back to his chosen profession of brain surgery once COVID moves along.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

The PS will be 12 players for the next 2 years, then it goes to 14.

The active roster isn’t changing. They just allow 2 PS to be game eligible.

Does this mean the team you are playing could sign a guy you plan to have active the day before a game and fuck up your plans? If so that seems very weird. They also added the this dosn't count roster spot for a extra emergency olineman.

18 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Does this mean the team you are playing could sign a guy you plan to have active the day before a game and fuck up your plans? If so that seems very weird. They also added the this dosn't count roster spot for a extra emergency olineman.

I'd assume they would still have to put him on their own active roster for a few weeks to do that, so it seems no more likely to happen than in the past.

Just now, Starkiller said:

I'd assume they would still have to put him on their own active roster for a few weeks to do that, so it seems no more likely to happen than in the past.

I did not mean play them. I know there is a grace period for that. But is there a rule around when you can and can not sign a ps player from another team? Basicly you sign them and you would have 2 play a man down but the other team would miss the player in the game as well.

I doubt it happens offten if ever since the whole thing is dumb but I could see someone doing it in very rare circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Callidus said:

I did not mean play them. I know there is a grace period for that. But is there a rule around when you can and can not sign a ps player from another team? Basicly you sign them and you would have 2 play a man down but the other team would miss the player in the game as well.

I doubt it happens offten if ever since the whole thing is dumb but I could see someone doing it in very rare circumstances.

Other teams would have no way of knowing for sure which PS player you intended to make active a few days prior to the game. Sure, if you had a bunch of injuries at one position it might be obvious, but most teams still wouldn’t cut one of their own players just to sign away one of your practice squad guys. 

Anyway, most teams probably would never actually use their practice squad players during a real game outside of special teams or an emergency.

3 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Other teams would have no way of knowing for sure which PS player you intended to make active a few days prior to the game. Sure, if you had a bunch of injuries at one position it might be obvious, but most teams still wouldn’t cut one of their own players just to sign away one of your practice squad guys. 

Anyway, most teams probably would never actually use their practice squad players during a real game outside of special teams or an emergency.

The injury part is what I was getting at. This us late last year. If we used a ps guy instead of signing a guy we may have had to play a game with 4cbs active.

5 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

So how the heck did we not get this Lipscomb kid to sign with us considering we didn't draft a single WR?  Is the kid one of the dumber Vandy players? What could be better for an UDFA WR than going to a team that didn't even draft one?

He went and joined the Chiefs, where his old QB is a backup. Lipscomb has good chemistry with Shurmur so he probably figures he will look better in training camp.

Also the Chiefs have lots of speed WRs, but he could be their niche possession WR.

Edited by Starkiller

The SE MO WR we did sign is intriguing.  Great testing numbers and he did produce in a lower level of competition.  He has a high RAS score, while those aren't entirely predictive, there have been some unheralded WR that have a high RAS that have gone on to be contributiors/surprises on rosters.

So far we have about 14 UDFA’s signed. Projections said we would a little more than 20. These are the best remaining:

QB:

North Texas Mason Fine

Michigan State Brian Lewerke 

Michigan Shea Patterson

RB:

No one to note

WR:

Miami Jeff Thomas

TE:

No one of note

OT:

Washington Trey Adams

EDGE:

Miami Trevon Hill

Mississippi Quaadir Sheppard

DL:

No one of note

LB:

Utah State David Woodward

Update:

Was going all through who had yet to agree to a deal and it is extremely slim pickings left. For a team that did SIGNIFICANT research and time on later round and UDFA prospects, I have to say that our list of current UDFA’s is extremely lacking. Almost shockingly lacking, especially when you compare it to other teams. I know, I know...it’s an extremely weird thing to complain about but more than 30% of rosters are comprised of UDFAs. It’s surprising we weren’t able to wrangle in any top UDFA when we had a relatively small draft class and were already going to need a large contingent of UDFA to fill the off season roster. I think the only top one I saw that we got was the Missouri LB Cale Garrett. 

What are are all of your thoughts so far? I am assuming we aren’t guaranteeing much money compared to other teams (hopefully we just need it for the Clowney deal later this week ???). I just find it really strange that we wouldn’t be in more contention for guys like Vanderbilt WR Kalija Lipscomb, Texas A&M WR Quartney Davis, Wake Forrest CB Essang Bassey, Oklahoma State CB A.J. Green, Nebraska DL Darrion Daniels, or TCU OG Cordel Iwuagwu. Maybe they are planning on adding a couple of vets beyond the larger signing we are all hoping for.

Edited by titanskick8851

7 hours ago, chef said:

What in the world happened to them?  When I was still keeping up I noticed Lipscomb as a Top 10 remaining guy by the mid 5th rd and Pinkney not that far behind on a couple sites. Didn't expect them in the 3rd or something but really shocking neither got drafted at all.

I wonder if there was something going on beyond on the field stuff.

They really suffered without Shurmur at QB this year. I think there was rumours that Pinkney sulked all year because he regretted not declaring in 2019

• Jonboy unpinned this topic