Titans Select DT Larrell Murchison, 5th Round, 174th Overall

Jonboy

1 minute ago, Callidus said:

I agree. I was just saying he had the ability to do it 

Edit: I do think he would need to get a little stronger to play the 1 or 0 in the nfl but again I am not a expert. 

From what I've read, his play in the run game is more founded on hand usage and upper body strength, and having "heavy hands" as they say, which is super important in our scheme. His "weakness" is lower body strength, which hopefully can be improved. It's not like he has poor lower body strength though, he's just not a typical nose tackle in that regard. 

But if he had it all in terms of traits, he wouldn't have been there in the 5th round either. 

The best thing about him as a player though is that he can play any of the three positions situationally. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you weigh 300 lbs, yes...

Powerful, strong, stout, was a constant two gapper in school, so should fit right in.    Versatile DL for the front. Could potentially play any position along the line. 

Some very positive comments here about Murchison's practice at the Senior Bowl.   https://www.si.com/college/ncstate/football/murchison-dominant-senior-bowl

7 hours ago, tgo said:

Comparing Murchison to Klug is completely ridiculous. Murch two-gapped a ton in college and played 5 technique and 1 technique mostly. People keep acting like he's going to play 3 technique here. Why would they play him there with they have Simmons and Mack both at 3 technique and he's mostly played nose and 5 tech???

Murchison is about as similar to Klug as Derrick Henry is to Christian McCaffery. 

I really don't understand the whole armchair scout dynamic where people are like "Well this guy played tackle all 4 years in college but he projects as a guard in the NFL" or in this case "well this guy two gapped a lot in college and played 5 technique and nose but he can't do that in the NFL, he's gonna be a gap shooting 3 tech." 

Like wtf? 

Lol that's literally why they drafted him. They've slowly purged all the one gap rushers off this roster under Robinson's watch, and completed the job with Casey's departure. There are no true/pure gap shooters left on this DL, for good reason. 

I mean for fuck's sake. 

And why is everyone talking so much about Murchison rushing the passer? The guy is a good run stopper first and foremost, any pass rush he offers is secondary. 

Well I can't understand how anybody in their right mind can watch his games and see a DT or NT in any scheme. He got shutdown by Boston fucking College. I see potential as 3 or 5 technique on a ROTATIONAL basis in our 4 man fronts. This dude ain't getting no where near 1 or 0 unless we start running a NASCAR type front like Giants did in their big run. 

Once again, although he might be a bigger dude....he reminds me of what we did with Klug. Not writing him off or anything. I hope with some our coaching staff this guy can be more than depth. He certainly has the effort and tenacity. He's got great hands when he gets to use them. 

On 5/3/2020 at 1:23 AM, Face said:

I was very bullish on MM, no doubt. But he was a stud as a rookie, plus he had a monster combine. I thought we had a steal, as he was really a 1 gap guy but played the nose at Michigan. Then he looked great the first month or so of 2013 & then totally disappeared. No explanation for what happened to him.

Maybe the only guy at UM who actually played defense during the Rich Rod era?

49 minutes ago, Face said:

Lol, I was talking about Mike Martin, not Mariota.

This team was so simple before. Now we have rt and a rt, more than 1 brown like 5 mm's to remember.... It's not hard but it is annoying lol

On 5/4/2020 at 11:43 AM, tgo said:

Yes, he can penetrate in the pass rush, yes he's shown the ability to do that. 

That's not the foundation of his game though, nor the foundation of this defense. Being able to do that (be slippery/shoot the gap) on pass rush downs is a huge bonus to his two gapping foundation. But that doesn't mean he's not going to play 5 tech on run downs or 1 tech. He may not have amazing lower body anchor, but he's strong enough and has enough lateral fluidity to be highly effective against the run. 

Obviously they believe that with some time in a NFL conditioning program he'll have plenty of strength to do what they drafted him to do.