Jonboy

Titans Select OT Isaiah Wilson, Round 1, 29th Overall

9 hours ago, Somedude said:

Most impressive person in that play is the other defender he stuck his arms through to toss his ass 10 yards. That guy didn't flinch or give a fuck.

46 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Most impressive person in that play is the other defender he stuck his arms through to toss his ass 10 yards. That guy didn't flinch or give a fuck.

Think that was Bryan Cox getting thrown like a rag doll. lol Tried to find him on the current Browns line up, but didn't see him.  2019 roster has him listed as a DE there.

53 minutes ago, tgo said:

The explosion and footwork is there but the lateral quickness is going to be an issue. I think he could stand to lose 15-20 pounds while maintaining his functional strength. 

38 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The explosion and footwork is there but the lateral quickness is going to be an issue. I think he could stand to lose 15-20 pounds while maintaining his functional strength. 

Yeah, I'm positive they'll get him on an nfl regimen and have him drop a bit of weight. 

2 minutes ago, 10 A See said:

Yeah, I'm positive they'll get him on an nfl regimen and have him drop a bit of weight. 

It’s kind of perfect timing in a way. He isn’t likely to start. I would have him drop the weight immediately and then rebuild the strength. Let him sit a few games to get him champing at the bit. But he simply can’t play at that weight with those lateral agility numbers. Get him a couple ticks quicker and you’re looking at a guy who is better in pass protection than Conklin while being a lot stronger and longer at the point of attack. 

Another thing I noticed with him is he keeps lunging when he finds himself out of place. I think that’s because he knows when he’s out of position he’s fucked because he doesn’t have the speed to make up for it. Let him drop 25 pounds with diet and cardio and then rebuild him back to 335 ish. The guy could become an absolute monster. His strength is off the charts along with elite reach. He also has good footwork for a man his size. It’s his hand technique that needs to be handled as well as the lateral quickness. 

13 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He also has good footwork for a man his size. It’s his hand technique that needs to be handled as well as the lateral quickness. 

His footwork can be very inconsistent, also has a bad habit of oversetting which opens himself up to getting beaten with inside moves.

Honestly given the reduced offseason program and the inability for coaches to start working with him I would be really surprised if he sees the field in the first half of the season, unless we see an injury to either Kelly or Lewan that forced a reshuffle at OT.

There is huge long term upside for Wilson given his physical traits but he is raw right now and will need some significant technique work before he is ready to consistently handle NFL quality pass rushers.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

9 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

His footwork can be very inconsistent, also has a bad habit of oversetting which opens himself up to getting beaten with inside moves.

Honestly given the reduced offseason program and the inability for coaches to start working with him I would be really surprised if he sees the field in the first half of the season, unless we see an injury to either Kelly or Lewan that forced a reshuffle at OT.

There is huge long term upside for Wilson given his physical traits but he is raw right now and will need some significant technique work before he is ready to consistently handle NFL quality pass rushers.

I would think the oversetting might be fixed if he loses the weight. He looks like he is so worried about being 2 slow to the edge he over commits and that leaves him with problems on the inside. A bit more movement ability and it may correct its self 

It's going to be tough for these rookies to catch up. That probably had some affect on JR resigning Kelly and bringing in Joseph. Kelly is a placeholder until Wilson is ready. Joseph knows the system so they don't have to rush Fulton. I would lower my expectations for these rookies in year 1 all across the NFL, at least in the beginning. You might see more guys be slower to make an impact because of what's happening.

Edited by socaltitan

Wilson is the definition of a project. I like the guy, and I understand why we picked him, but he’s the guy you teach up and get involved in the pro style regimen before throwing him to the wolves. Kelly is perfect for this transition. Wilson won’t likely start the year, which is fine.