Criminally Underrated RB Class

TerryBoats

2 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Don’t take my word for it. Just check the snap counts between Simmons, Casey, and Jones last year after Simmons started playing

Casey was hurt and Simmons is a monster. None of the guys you listed would take snaps from Jones or Simmons. The 3rd DT in this scheme is a part time player.

BTW he was on the field for 38% of the snaps during the playoff run. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are a bunch of serviceable veteran RBs out there if we don’t draft anyone

The Titans need two things from a RB draftee.  He must not only be able to carry the load if Henry goes down, but he must also must be able to play in the passing game on 3rd down.  Not sure how many

I'd be ecstatic if Swift fell and we picked up him at 29.  Otherwise, wait till the later rounds.  

If you want to get drafted before the 20s you have to check all the boxes. If you dont you could end up being a late 1st-3rd. There will always be a handful of RBs being drafted in that range that make an impact immediately. Not all of them pan out to be good, but they get on the field right away. The track record as of late has been pretty impressive though.

At this point I would rather bring in a vet to pair with Henry. If we decide not to extend Henry, we should just draft a workhorse when that time comes. No point in losing a contract year for Henrys replacement. If Henry is on our roster he will always dominate the touches.

9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Casey was hurt and Simmons is a monster. None of the guys you listed would take snaps from Jones or Simmons. The 3rd DT in this scheme is a part time player.

BTW he was on the field for 38% of the snaps during the playoff run. 

And Casey was on the field for 75% of the plays in the playoffs. But that would never work for a DL throughout the season. They would wear down. They have to rotate to stay fresh.

With Simmons and Jones getting an expected 60% of the snaps, look for a top pick DL to get about 50%.

Edited by Starkiller

5 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

And Casey was on the field for 75% of the plays in the playoffs. But that would never work for a DL throughout the season. They would wear down. They have to rotate to stay fresh.

With Simmons and Jones getting an expected 60% of the snaps, look for a top pick DL to get about 50%.

This is a big reason I think we take 1 DL with the first 3 picks.

After Simmons and Jones we have no one I would think could make a jump to a significant snap count if needed.

The needs are ranked as follows: 

1. CB

2. DL

3. OT

4. RB

5. QB

6. WR

I do think a dynamic speed receiver or RB would add a missing element to the offense though. 

I'd also like to see us draft a rangy safety type that can actually back up Byard. The other 3 safeties on the roster are more strong safeties or hybrid slot players. 

2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

If they draft a DL good enough to go at 29 or early 2nd then I fully expect him to start based on the current roster. Not that they couldn’t sign some run stopping DL, too, who might officially get the starts instead. But right now we only have 2 DL who qualify  as remotely good.

They could go for someone to unlock Da’Quan Jones like Raekwon Davis or Leki Fotu in 3 ideally, 2 if you have to, or this is where the value of a guy like Gallimore or Madubuike comes in. But yeah, that guy, whomever, gets a lot of snaps. 

One extra pick would help out a lot. This draft is going to be interesting in terms of how they approach our weaknesses.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

The needs are ranked as follows: 

1. CB

2. DL

3. OT

4. RB

5. QB

6. WR

I do think a dynamic speed receiver or RB would add a missing element to the offense though. 

I'd also like to see us draft a rangy safety type that can actually back up Byard. The other 3 safeties on the roster are more strong safeties or hybrid slot players. 

I would go

Cb

Dl

Cb

Rb

Ot

Wr

Qb

I’ll say something people’ll think I’m crazy for saying: 

If I drafted a RB at 29 that I thought would bring plus yardage in both the run game but especially the passing game that I could see being an actual compliment to Henry, it would be Clyde Edwards-Helaire, no question.

If you want an Austin Ekeler or now think Ekeler would be worth a late 1 in hindsight, I think Edwards-Helaire would significantly elevate our threat level and efficiency on 3rd downs.

NFL.com has him ranked as the 29th most valuable player, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened. I think he could catch 60-70 passes easy as a rookie.

27 minutes ago, GLinks said:

If I drafted a RB at 29 that I thought would bring plus yardage in both the run game but especially the passing game that I could see being an actual compliment to Henry, it would be Clyde Edwards-Helaire, no question.

If you want an Austin Ekeler or now think Ekeler would be worth a late 1 in hindsight, I think Edwards-Helaire would significantly elevate our threat level and efficiency on 3rd downs.

NFL.com has him ranked as the 29th most valuable player, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened. I think he could catch 60-70 passes easy as a rookie.

Maybe in the 2nd, not the 1st...

13 hours ago, GLinks said:

I get your logic and I like Edwards-Helaire, but Swift is on a completely different planet when it comes to a run game. He was Georgia’s lone offensive weapon and Defenses still couldn’t stop him. Yes he had a good line, but I urge you to watch some highlights and focus in on his vision. He makes cuts that are unreal.

If Swift is the Highest player on your board Daniel Jeremiah has him at 16 best player and everyone knows we need a second Rb why not.  Swift is many things Derrick is not which gives us a different way to attack the Defense.    We are built to run the ball.   There is no guarantee Derrick is here after this year.  I hope Derrick is running for us for a long time.  I love watching him.  Winning football is getting playmakers and Swift is a playmaker.

I posted this in another thread but apparently Mike Vrabel's son Tyler Vrabel is an offensive linemen at BC and blocked for AJ Dillon. Surely Vrabel has had plenty of chances to meet the guy and watch him play. Don't know if that means much but if he's available later in the draft I could see us taking him. 

15 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I posted this in another thread but apparently Mike Vrabel's son Tyler Vrabel is an offensive linemen at BC and blocked for AJ Dillon. Surely Vrabel has had plenty of chances to meet the guy and watch him play. Don't know if that means much but if he's available later in the draft I could see us taking him. 

I am ok with us taking both Dillion and another back earlier.