WVTITAN

Possible rise of worker unions?

Historically the definition of unions was a tool to control workers.  When the National Labor Relations Board was formed in 1935 it outlawed all of the most successful worker tactics.  To have legal existence and right to collective bargaining a union had to give up power.

The unions that refused -- like the Wobblies --were eventually crushed as anarchists aka domestic terrorists.

When Cesar Chavez organized farm workers, he started with a social movement engaged in non violent direct action.  In this way he avoided National Labor Relations Board which did not recognize farmworkers unions.  Only after succeeding as workers rights organizations did they transform into a union.

More recently I'd say unions do good work, but are more limited by their history than they'd like to admit.

Edited by patsplat

22 hours ago, oldschool said:

haha. He's been a little bitch for years. His takes are worthless. 

You should really stop projecting.

22 hours ago, oldschool said:

True but at least some of us back it up. WG53 hasn't had a single original thought in years. 

You certainly don't.  All you can do is repeat the same old tired, condescending nonsense ad naseum.

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

TBH WG and OS don’t really provide much commentary. Both of you are assholes. And both of you make your TR living off of devouring the idiots. Put the band back together. 

I take offense to that. I post plenty of commentary even if I don't start many threads. 

Edited by oldschool

Whichever side has the power is going to take advantage of the other side to some degree. 

I'd rather the WORKERS to have the leverage and power, even if there are some undesirable side effects from time to time

Vs. the corps wiping their ass with their employees as happens far too often when labor has no power. 

14 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

Whichever side has the power is going to take advantage of the other side to some degree. 

I'd rather the WORKERS to have the leverage and power, even if there are some undesirable side effects from time to time

Vs. the corps wiping their ass with their employees as happens far too often when labor has no power. 

Queue the brainwashed to tell us how corporations should have all the advantages and we should be on our knees thanking them for the crumbs from their table.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:09 AM, oldschool said:

Hope not. Unions are not a good thing.

I'm going to send myself out here to get slaughtered, but on balance I agree with you.   Just seen to many horrible union cook situations.  Not always mind you, but the bad are just so bad, like watching someone walk off the hot line with the food starting to burn saying "I'm on smoke break."  And if the chef touched the pan he'd be reported to the union as doing so would in effect be threatening their job by doing their work (really).  In Hawaii particularly bad with construction and the like, and the costs for gov't bids (union only) are absurb compared to what they would be otherwise.  So many, many examples I won't go into them.

Being clear, I think, no I know, there are just a ton of slugs just trying to do as little as possible and use a union to hide behind.  (Also plenty not in unions too)  This does zero to change the fact that so many (though not all) businesses as they grow tend to see workers as numbers, usually numbers standing in the way of their intended goal: greater profit.

Too simplistic to say one side is good and the other is bad.  Frankly the nature of the system encourages pretty bad behavior all around.

My soft spots for unions does include their historical context where they protected those with little to no rights in some terrible labor times.  Were absolutely crucial then.  Also, I HAVE seen some seriously kick ass union workers - some Seattle highway as well as building construction crews come to mind - that did better work than any other option.  So not throwing the same blanket over them all.  Not fair and not true.  But in situations where workers are basically forced into a union for a job (hotel cooks in Maui come to mind since that dominates this market) it kinda sucks.  That's not a right, that's a lack of one.

In a more perfect world I'd rather see the core union rights (the decent, logical ones that protect workers from abuse) enshrined into workplace laws (most are already now) and they actually acted upon to protect workers, as opposed to being ignored if not flat out disregarded a la Massey Energy.  Naively optimistic but it would take the pressure off individual workers to follow their union's lead, not to mention this requirement to fork over part of their paycheck to a group that often creates their own egotistical tyrants whose job was to fight the corporation's egotistical tyrants. (not all like that on either side mind you, but consolidation of power creates this issues time and time over)