Sign in to follow this  
IrishTitansFan

How can this defense maintain its level of play?

I was looking back at some stats. In 2018 the Titans scoring defense was #1 in the NFL after week 10 with something like 17ppg allowed. Last year IIRC they didn't let up more than 20 points for the first 5/6 games. 

It went downhill a bit for both teams after that. How do they take the next step in 2020 and maintain that level of play for the whole year? I think that may be a big reason why we're seeing a youth movement on the defensive side of the ball. Personally, I think they need more pass rushers to keep everyone fresh.

Let's not overlook that the colts have a dominant OL and the Titans are down two DL out of the rotation. Winning the division starts with stopping the colts run game and making Rivers turn the ball over.

Need an inside DL guy in the draft if we don't sign someone.  We still have Jones and Simmons so those two are solid.  Depth and rotation are the issues.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Hopefully Simmons and Hooker make big jumps, Simmons could become dominant further from the injury. Butler also returns from injury. 

I think Simmons is a major piece of can will they or not.  He made a few huge plays last season that says he can be special.  I gotta believe they have some plan to add another rusher.  I am beginning to think Clowney is extremely doubtful.

Edited by Number9

I think we have alot of emerging stars on defense. I like that David Long fella. I wish peas woulda stuck around 1 more year.

I think we need another solid edge rusher and a couple corners. To be honest, I thought our defense was overrated in the playoffs. We played a Patriots team that had no weapons and a Ravens team we could easily scheme against because Lamar clearly has deficiencies in his game.

I knew when we played the Chiefs what we lacked was about to get exposed lol. We actually played better than I thought we would. I mean that offense has so many weapons. I thought our defenses bread and butter was keeping teams out the ENDZONE, not necessarily shutting down offenses from gaining yardage. When we fail to bend but not break our defense cant maintain. & that's all our defense does. And let's face it, our defense bends alot with the amount of yardage they give up, but they play stout in the Redzone.

We can't continue to play bend but dont break defense if we want a Superbowl.

Edited by Makaveli

I heard Vic Beasley was top 10 in win pass rush win rate last season despite his low sack rate. I think we signed him off the analytics and think he could have a big impact doing what Cam Wake did last year.

I think we will sign Clowney. I just think it’s suspicious that we have a Clowney sized cap space right now and seem to be going all in at the moment. Clowney, Simmons, Beasley, and Landry will be pretty remarkable as a group. 

9 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Robinson is making the defense younger and after the draft  suspect much faster. 

I suspect this is the case.  I think they realize that the pass rush is poor and are looking improve that both at edge and IDL.  And that the CB group needed an injection of speed and athleticism (Ryan, Sims, and Butler aren't the fastest).

46 minutes ago, Thrill said:

we have a Clowney sized cap space right now

Boy, nothing gets by you.  Good catch!

I agree that this is all about getting younger and more athletic/faster.  Given the value that the this regime places on football intelligence, I'm confident that they can find players to fit the scheme just fine.

I'm sure they'll do some more in FA but I think everyone is all in draft mode now given how the rules of engagement are unique for this year.

13 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I agree that this is all about getting younger and more athletic/faster.  Given the value that the this regime places on football intelligence, I'm confident that they can find players to fit the scheme just fine.

I'm sure they'll do some more in FA but I think everyone is all in draft mode now given how the rules of engagement are unique for this year.

There's a legit chance at 2/3 rookie starters on the defensive side of the ball. They probably need a better run defender on the edge, a starting 5 tech and a NB. With the offensive side of the ball close to set, I think we may see defense in the first 3 rounds. They may take a receiver or running back there too, though

38 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

There's a legit chance at 2/3 rookie starters on the defensive side of the ball. They probably need a better run defender on the edge, a starting 5 tech and a NB. With the offensive side of the ball close to set, I think we may see defense in the first 3 rounds. They may take a receiver or running back there too, though

I wouldn't be surprised if RB/WR waited till day 3.  CB in 1.  IDL in Round 2 and EDGE in Round 3 could be pretty realistic.  Depends on how high they have OT and RB on the need list though.

Butler being back is a seriously overlooked factor. In the playoffs, they only had 2 good CBs. So they are still in that same boat at worst to start out. If Hooker and maybe even Cruikshank can step up then the secondary should be fine.

Beasley is a clear upgrade over anything they had opposite Landry once Wake got hurt. Plus the young depth will hopefully develop. Walker has upside. Roberson does, too. We just have to see if they develop.

Hopefully Simmons is so good that losing Casey isn’t a big deal. And hopefully they get another impact DL to replace Casey in the lineup.

So they need to fill in holes on the DLine and in the nickel. If they can fill those holes, the D could be just as good as last year. Maybe even better.

And that’s not even counting the possible addition of Clowney.

7 hours ago, Makaveli said:

I think we have alot of emerging stars on defense. I like that David Long fella. I wish peas woulda stuck around 1 more year.

I think we need another solid edge rusher and a couple corners. To be honest, I thought our defense was overrated in the playoffs. We played a Patriots team that had no weapons and a Ravens team we could easily scheme against because Lamar clearly has deficiencies in his game.

I knew when we played the Chiefs what we lacked was about to get exposed lol. We actually played better than I thought we would. I mean that offense has so many weapons. I thought our defenses bread and butter was keeping teams out the ENDZONE, not necessarily shutting down offenses from gaining yardage. When we fail to bend but not break our defense cant maintain. & that's all our defense does. And let's face it, our defense bends alot with the amount of yardage they give up, but they play stout in the Redzone.

We can't continue to play bend but dont break defense if we want a Superbowl.

So easy to scheme against the team that made 1/3 the nfl look like chumps. Ya I get that. Wtf?

Edited by Callidus

52 minutes ago, Callidus said:

So easy to scheme against the team that made 1/3 the nfl look like chumps. Ya I get that. Wtf?

You're right...But we schemes the heck out of him and exposed him. As I stated, his game has deficiencies. He cant throw to the outside. We laid the blue print. Our coaches recognized his deficiencies and game planned accordingly. Id say shutting down a top 3 offensive was a pretty good scheme.