Makaveli

On this week's what the H happened to him

Every Saturday ima highlight a promising Titan player we all forgot about. It will be titled What The H happened to them. 

This week I will highlight a young promising linebacker who came from my favorite college team, the Miami Hurricanes. Colin McCarthy. Dude is still young enough to play in the NFL...So what the H happened to him Lol.

Dude cribbed a pick

What the H happened to him??

I think McCarthey had injury problems for like 2 years straight.

I actually think Webster drafted some really good linebackers that just didn’t work out. Gerald McGrath, Zach Brown, McCarthey, and Akeem Ayers were all super promising. I think the coaching staffs couldn’t develop guys for the life of them and guys like Brown and McGrath weren’t disciplined or humble enough to elevate their game.

28 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I think McCarthey had injury problems for like 2 years straight.

I actually think Webster drafted some really good linebackers that just didn’t work out. Gerald McGrath, Zach Brown, McCarthey, and Akeem Ayers were all super promising. I think the coaching staffs couldn’t develop guys for the life of them and guys like Brown and McGrath weren’t disciplined or humble enough to elevate their game.

I agree 100%. I use to talk to McGrath. Turns out dude had alot of off the field issues. Not with the law, but personally. & Webster really wasnt a bad GM. Like you said, I feel like we drafted well and even signed solid free agents.

I 1 problem was like you said the coaching staffs couldn't develop guys, and another problem was I think players looked at Tennessee as a retirement destination. Easy money without to much expectations to work hard and win. We had developed a losing culture.

Edited by Makaveli

3 hours ago, Makaveli said:

I agree 100%. I use to talk to McGrath. Turns out dude had alot of off the field issues. Not with the law, but personally. & Webster really wasnt a bad GM. Like you said, I feel like we drafted well and even signed solid free agents.

I 1 problem was like you said the coaching staffs couldn't develop guys, and another problem was I think players looked at Tennessee as a retirement destination. Easy money without to much expectations to work hard and win. We had developed a losing culture.

I don't think Webster was a good GM, but I think he was probably an average talent evaluator on the defensive side. He was bad at offense because he drafted freak athletic guys who were dumber than a box of rocks (DGB, Hunter) or guys who just weren't athletic enough (Sankey). 

On the other hand, very few owners would've done well with Tommy Smith as the controlling owner. 

Edit: and yeah I read an article about McGrath. Don't really remember what happened to him but remember he has a pretty humble working class life style now. Maybe a high school coach?

Edited by Thrill

My Colin McCarthy memory is a dropped gimme INT that may have been a pick 6 against Andrew Luck and the Colts that probably would have been the difference maker.  That was the first win for Andrew Luck against the Titans, in OT.  If he catches that the Titans likely win.

Many people are saying he was headed to the Hall of Fame but since only 40% believe someone who claims "many people say" the 60% got in the way of his ambitions. 

23 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Webster is easily one of the worst GM’s in the history of the NFL. Robinson inherited a Juco roster. 

For sure. My point was he was probably average or slightly below average at drafting defensive guys. He was a complete disaster at drafting anything on offense. His free agent acquisitions were mostly giant laughable mistakes but he did bring us Delanie.

Still top 5 worst GM’s of the last 20 years. No one will ever top Matt Mullen unless Bill O’Brien gets rid of Watson.

Edited by Thrill

9 minutes ago, Thrill said:

For sure. My point was he was probably average or slightly below average at drafting defensive guys. He was a complete disaster at drafting anything on offense. His free agent acquisitions were mostly giant laughable mistakes but he did bring us Delanie.

Still top 5 worst GM’s of the last 20 years. No one will ever top Matt Mullen unless Bill O’Brien gets rid of Watson.

I mean there have been a lot of terrible GMs in the league over the past 20 years.  I bet there’s 50 or so you could say is a top 5 worst GM in that time frame.

Webster had two major issues.  The biggest one to me is that he didn’t seem to have a plan for a lot of these players.  He would just draft athletes and think that they’d make it work.  Whereas with Robinson every player has a purpose, whether it be in free agency or the draft. The second issue is the organization was a complete mess from the end of Fisher’s tenure until Amy Adams Strunk took over.

Ruston Webster was an awful GM and blaming it on ownership is pretty laughable given Tommy didn't engage at all so it was on the football people......Webster's track record in personnel in Seattle and TB was also bad when he worked for Ruskell (who he brought over with him).

It's astonishing that anyone on here would defend him.  Aside from Lewan, Casey, and perhaps Williamson, his resume of drafting is really really bad and FA wasn't any better.  Home run with Walker but then you get Wimberly and Levitre etc. 

As more and more of the team consisted of Webster picks, the team was one of the worst in the NFL.  He blew two top 10 picks on bust QB's plus Warmack also busted out. 

Unfuckingbelievable.

Good point on him destroying Seattle as well.  You have to be brain dead to defend Webster as not that bad.  By every stretch of the imagination, he was AWFUL by team W/L record and by the fact that very little of his drafted players got second contracts with the Titans.